football practice

Am I completely out of touch with rules or is it not still illegal to hold football meetings with students and or practice before or after school during the offseason

Edited by darktower

22 minutes ago, darktower said:

Am I completely out of touch with rules or is it not still illegal to hold football meetings with students and or practice before or after school during the offseason

You are completely out of touch with the rules 

• Like 1

So it is ok to hold film session and chalk talk before school or to go out on field and rum offense or defense in january and february.. It is ok now for 14u 16u 18 u baseball players to wear school uniforms and have the head coach in the dugout during summer USSSA tournys-

---when did this change

13 hours ago, darktower said:

I’m guessing you watched Lovelady play 7 on 7 last year. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nationalpastime said:

I’m guessing you watched Lovelady play 7 on 7 last year. 

nope never seen Lovelady and not talking about any particular situations.  Just curious. As I umpire I regularly see head coaches on the field and teams wearing their school uniforms.. I just was wondering if the rules have relaxed or if people simply don't care 

57 minutes ago, darktower said:

nope never seen Lovelady and not talking about any particular situations.  Just curious. As I umpire I regularly see head coaches on the field and teams wearing their school uniforms.. I just was wondering if the rules have relaxed or if people simply don't care 

You probably dont know exactly what you were watching and are making assumptions. Most programs know how to operate within the rules. Which school/coach did you see?

Edited by 89Falcon
  • Like 3

On 4/20/2024 at 1:23 PM, darktower said:

No change in rules exempt for the summer time. Probably 7 on 7 with coaches "monitoring" the field.

The rules have relaxed a lot since whenever you lost touch with the new stuff.

After your season you can spend up to "X" hours a week before or after school hours doing sports specific drills/practice for all sports (I can't tell you for sure the value of that X".

5 and 6A can have padded spring football for X hours a week with a spring game.

4A and below typically can have spring football during the athletic period etc, for X number of weeks with an added scrimmage to the regular season.

7 on 7 is wild.  You can basically coach 7 on 7 during the class period, give them the plays, set the depth chart etc, but can't actually coach them during the game.  Coaches can be present, seen, etc.  They can talk to players between games etc.  I don't think they can transport them.  

Hopefully, some of this helps.

Rules have changed but not that much. 

Strength & Conditioning instruction sessions may be conducted by school coaches for students in grades 7-12 from that coach's attendance zone starting the first day of school. This is for sports in the off-season only.

• A strength and conditioning session shall be no more than one hour per day outside the school day, Monday through Friday, and a student shall attend no more than one session of supervised instruction per day.
  • Sport specific skill instruction is prohibited during the strength and conditioning session.
  • Sports specific equipment (balls, dummies, sleds, contact equipment) is prohibited during the strength and conditioning session.
  • School shirts, shorts and shoes may be provided by the school (local school option).

Sport Specific Skill Instruction – During the school year, there is no sport specific skill instructions allowed for off-season sports, outside of the school day.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Texas Coach said:

Sport specific skill instruction is prohibited during the strength and conditioning session

this is the part i had wrong.  

Which makes sense because we don't touch the football until they hit the class period.

For the Spring, the usual practice is to do football during the athletic period and then lift either before or after school. Any football done outside of athletics must be organized by the kids or by someone outside of the coaching staff the kids attend.