Cumby Open

34 minutes ago, Warriorborn said:

This guy did have the best season in Coopers history statiscally speaking.....

This is true casto has tied with him now with that 13-1 record. If your looking for experience this was a great hire for cumby who is by no means a powerhouse. Don't expect him to turn them into a contender. They will at best compete for last playoff spot in one of the worst districts in texas. Hopefully he will grow and adapt because he has been stuck in 1989 for the last 25 years as a coach.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, supermaroon said:

This is true casto has tied with him now with that 13-1 record. If your looking for experience this was a great hire for cumby who is by no means a powerhouse. Don't expect him to turn them into a contender. They will at best compete for last playoff spot in one of the worst districts in texas. Hopefully he will grow and adapt because he has been stuck in 1989 for the last 25 years as a coach.

Those guys keep getting jobs though….

24 minutes ago, DogEatDog said:

This true a lot of bad programs would rather recycle someone with experience then take a chance on a young up and coming guy. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, supermaroon said:

This true a lot of bad programs would rather recycle someone with experience then take a chance on a young up and coming guy. 

In other words, a lot of bad programs don’t care to do better. 

18 hours ago, SmokedOut said:

Future looks bright then. 

They should take a step forward this year. They managed to make the playoffs with a mostly freshman team last year, and the majority of the team will be back, plus the incoming freshmen.

1 hour ago, supermaroon said:

It always amazes me that smaller schools are more hesitant to hire AD/HFC with no experience than bigger schools are.

You see larger schools take chances on Coordinators regularly.

16 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

It always amazes me that smaller schools are more hesitant to hire AD/HFC with no experience than bigger schools are.

My thinking is larger schools can take more chances because they can put a support system around a young coach...tougher to do at a 2A-D2 school

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

My thinking is larger schools can take more chances because they can put a support system around a young coach...tougher to do at a 2A-D2 school

Very true and understandable.

However, if someone is a leader and has the ability to run an overall athletic program then they should get the chance.

7 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Very true and understandable.

However, if someone is a leader and has the ability to run an overall athletic program then they should get the chance.

Agree 100% 

2 hours ago, DogEatDog said:

1 hour ago, supermaroon said:

And that is why guy take bad jobs just to get in the club.

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

Yeah and I never thought about stepps poin but that makes sense. Also I believe these schools want to hire someone who isn't going to give them headaches while learning how to do the job.

• SMH 1

42 minutes ago, supermaroon said:

Yeah and I never thought about stepps poin but that makes sense. Also I believe these schools want to hire someone who isn't going to give them headaches while learning how to do the job.

The AD side of things gets some first timers. There is a lot of "administration" type work that comes with being AD. Its lazy on the schools but they would rather not train someone PAPFs, budgets, and handbooks etc. even if he's a good coach. At big schools they are able to be a "facilities coordinator" and deal with a fraction of the responsibilities. 

I don't think that's the case with Cumby's hire. He had some good years at Cooper all while they were 3A, probably would have a better overall record if he had been 2A. Couple 500 years at como which isn't bad at all for Como. As mentioned before I think he will help Cumby be competitive. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

The AD side of things gets some first timers. There is a lot of "administration" type work that comes with being AD. Its lazy on the schools but they would rather not train someone PAPFs, budgets, and handbooks etc. even if he's a good coach. At big schools they are able to be a "facilities coordinator" and deal with a fraction of the responsibilities. 

I don't think that's the case with Cumby's hire. He had some good years at Cooper all while they were 3A, probably would have a better overall record if he had been 2A. Couple 500 years at como which isn't bad at all for Como. As mentioned before I think he will help Cumby be competitive. 

He is most definitely qualified and capable.

I think he will do as well or better than anyone in Cumby.

The amount success they will have under him will be based on the quality of the coordinators he brings in. As a member of those good years under green and having friends and family that coach, in terms of X's and O's the game of football has passed him by and he hasn't changed. For cumbys sake let's hope he goes out and finds some good coordinators and lets them run what they want. He can just manage the game and handles the admin duties.

On 5/14/2024 at 9:29 AM, supermaroon said:

Um we'll see but they are not the Castorena cooper, so don't expect that to be coming to cumby. Probably more of the como results in the green years.

Casto has been aided by a classification drop and favorable alignments for sure. He is a good coach, but the aforementioned factors have played a major role in his success. Wonder how Casto would do at Como or Cumby?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Bulldogbacker78 said:

Casto has been aided by a classification drop and favorable alignments for sure. He is a good coach, but the aforementioned factors have played a major role in his success. Wonder how Casto would do at Como or Cumby?

Maybe they need to put asterisks by all these good seasons & undefeated district titles while Casto has been there. One of those was 3A. People need to give the man his due & stop trying to downplay it so much.

I could be wrong, but I think Green was at Cooper for 11 years? Only 3 of those seasons were 3A I believe? majority of his tenure they were 2A. He’s a good man & would like to see him have success over at Cumby. Como is always gonna be a hard place to win at.

Edited by Bulldognation1

On 5/17/2024 at 2:33 PM, Bulldognation1 said:

Maybe they need to put asterisks by all these good seasons & undefeated district titles while Casto has been there. One of those was 3A. People need to give the man his due & stop trying to downplay it so much.

I could be wrong, but I think Green was at Cooper for 11 years? Only 3 of those seasons were 3A I believe? majority of his tenure they were 2A. He’s a good man & would like to see him have success over at Cumby. Como is always gonna be a hard place to win at.

I did say Casto is a good coach. When Green was in AA it was the same as AAA. The UIL later shifted classifications. The AA Cooper is in now used to be A. 

Not trying to knock greens accomplishments at cooper but our 13 and season as proud as I am of that year. But our district had many similar current 2a teams. Alba, rivercrest, Clarksville, plus the always terrible prairiland and chisum so not world beaters so the competition has been about the same.