THE OFFICIAL 2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD

4 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

They'll mess around and pick a punter at 29 then use their 2 picks tomorrow on a long snapper and fullback 😁

They will be playing against the studs they passed up by trading down ..... always take the best player available that can help your team as soon as you can .... 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/college/sooners/2024/04/25/ou-football-tyler-guyton-nfl-draft-2024-projections-first-round-pick-oklahoma-sooners/73443224007/

We drafted a project OT. He didn't start playing football until his Senior year of HS. Went to TCU to be a DL. Didn't get PT so went to OU. Only started 9 games this year.

They had a whole year to work on the draft and this is the best player available?   ....   I thought they might take Xavier Worthy .... but no, Jerruh screws the pouch again ..... this is why the Cowgurlz are floundering in the playoffs .... 

They took one of the top OT’s on the board, which was also a major position of need. He was also a player most had connected to Dallas, which means they still got the guy they wanted AND an extra 3rd round pick.

I’d say they had a good night. 

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

8 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

They had a whole year to work on the draft and this is the best player available?   ....   I thought they might take Xavier Worthy .... but no, Jerruh screws the pouch again ..... this is why the Cowgurlz are floundering in the playoffs .... 

Right picking a OL over a skill guy has always went wrong for the Cowboys.

8 hours ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/college/sooners/2024/04/25/ou-football-tyler-guyton-nfl-draft-2024-projections-first-round-pick-oklahoma-sooners/73443224007/

We drafted a project OT. He didn't start playing football until his Senior year of HS. Went to TCU to be a DL. Didn't get PT so went to OU. Only started 9 games this year.

That guy isn't a project. He would have been a top 10 pick at tackle in next year's draft. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

58 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

That guy isn't a project. He would have been a top 10 pick at tackle in next year's draft. 

So he projects as a top 10 pick next year.

I like that he didn't allow a sack in the 9 games he started for OU last year at RT.

Concerns- has only played 70 snaps at LT. He's supposed to be Tyron Smith's replacement. Who was our LT.

He could be great in a few years, but I think he's going to struggle this year.

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

So he projects as a top 10 pick next year.

I like that he didn't allow a sack in the 9 games he started for OU last year at RT.

Concerns- has only played 70 snaps at LT. He's supposed to be Tyron Smith's replacement. Who was our LT.

He could be great in a few years, but I think he's going to struggle this year.

It was a big reach .... he was not worth a 1st round pick .... 

10 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

It was a big reach .... he was not worth a 1st round pick .... 

That's what most people thought about Tyler Smith as well, myself included. He proved everyone wrong. 

• Like 1

The NFL draft is a crapshoot. There are players every year that are rated as one of the best players in the draft, and become a bust. There are also players that are taken very late in the draft and considered a 'project', that become one of the best players drafted. 

The fact is, Dallas NEEDS OL! Guyton was rated a 1st rd pick. Whether you agree with that rating or not, is moot. And as I already mentioned, he was at the top of Dallas' draft board. Nearly every analyst had Dallas taking him at 24. So again, to get the same guy at 29 AND an extra 3rd rd pick, they had a good night. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

5 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

That's what most people thought about Tyler Smith as well, myself included. He proved everyone wrong. 

Same here. They did move Smith inside to Guard to make the transition a little easier. It's been almost 30 years since we made it to a Super Bowl, I think that's why we're all so jaded.

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

Same here. They did move Smith inside to Guard to make the transition a little easier. It's been almost 30 years since we made it to a Super Bowl, I think that's why we're all so jaded.

I get it. I just don't think the draft has been our downfall, however. Sure, we've made some boneheaded, bad draft picks...such as taking Taco over TJ Watt, or drafting Mazi Smith last year...but everyone does. Atlanta signed a QB to a 4 year $180M deal, then traded up to draft a QB at 8 last night. 

The one thing other teams do that Dallas doesn't, however, is hire a real GM. THAT is our downfall. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

The NFL draft is a crapshoot. There are players every year that are rated as one of the best players in the draft, and become a bust. There are also players that are taken very late in the draft and considered a 'project', that become one of the best players drafted. 

The fact is, Dallas NEEDS OL! Guyton was rated a 1st rd pick. Whether you agree with that rating or not, is moot. And as I already mentioned, he was at the top of Dallas' draft board. Nearly every analyst had Dallas taking him at 24. So again, to get the same guy at 29 AND an extra 3rd rd pick, they had a good night. 

Do you think Dallas gets RB brooks from Texas? Dallas been linked to him so it definitely a need.  I wouldn’t mind Edgerrin Cooper Line backer ( A&M ) either. Both are needs for Dallas.

Edited by Lion7000

2 hours ago, Lion7000 said:

Do you think Dallas gets RB brooks from Texas? Dallas been linked to him so it definitely a need.  I wouldn’t mind Edgerrin Cooper Line backer ( A&M ) either. Both are needs for Dallas.

I would love to get Brooks. As for LB, I’d prefer Trevin Wallace, the kid from Kentucky. 

We have several needs, RB, C, DT, LB, WR, and only so many draft picks. Rds 2 and 3 will make or break us. We have 3 picks in those two rounds. So we need to figure out which of the 3 above will help us most. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

The one thing other teams do that Dallas doesn't, however, is hire a real GM. THAT is our downfall. 

Your last statement nailed it .... would Stephen Jones be smart enough to hire a real GM, post Jerruh? ... I doubt it .....

4 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Not being a Cowboys fan, I will agree with this, you get your guy, 5 spots lower, and you add a pick in the 3rd round, where there will be plenty of defensive players left, since the first round was almost all offensive players. Plus, without much money in the cap, 5 picks lower must save some money now, so you can pay it out later. 

But what about Buffalo.....traded completely out of the first round, and they still need a wideout, since they lost their best 2 this offseason.....

4 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Tyler Smith probably moves to LT next season while Guyton will contend for the RT spot.

BTW ESPN is mocking T'Vondre Sweat to the Cowboys in the 2nd round.

5 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Not being a Cowboys fan, I will agree with this, you get your guy, 5 spots lower, and you add a pick in the 3rd round, where there will be plenty of defensive players left, since the first round was almost all offensive players. Plus, without much money in the cap, 5 picks lower must save some money now, so you can pay it out later. 

But what about Buffalo.....traded completely out of the first round, and they still need a wideout, since they lost their best 2 this offseason.....

If AD Mitchell is they guy they want, they haven't lost anything. He's still there for them. 

Otherwise, I don't know what they're doing. They need a WR. 

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

Tyler Smith probably moves to LT next season while Guyton will contend for the RT spot.

BTW ESPN is mocking T'Vondre Sweat to the Cowboys in the 2nd round.

I'd rather get J Brooks. 

• Like 1

Just now, Baron said:

I agree 100%, but will he drop to 24?

Think about this. He has an ACL injury in November and he is still considered the best back in the draft.