This Is Where We Are For Teachers In America

52 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

When a district has 22 administrators making $100,000 a year, and the tax base is low, it doesn't leave a lot of money for the other people. 

And this goes into something I believe I said earlier in this thread...$100,000 x 22 is, if my math is right, $2.2 million.

Is it necessary to have 22 administrators in a school district? And who counts as an administrator? If you halved that number, how many teachers could you pay with an extra $1.1 million?

How and Where the money is spent is important.

1 hour ago, Youngcoach123 said:

By daily, you mean of the 187 days she’s contracted? And she brings home 50% of what I do while her salary is 1/4 of mine. 

So you are saying that she brings home 50% of what you do---I hope you mean "net" after taxes and TRS. And her base salary is 1/4 of yours. So what the heck is taken out of your check? Are they even taking out Social Security yet? 

But let me get this straight, you are complaining that your wife has a 187 day contract.......

YOU on the other hand work in the private sector--management or not---you should get 2 days a week off....meaning that you get 110 days off a year--those are called "weekends"--Leaving you with 255 days of work......Let's say you get 2 weeks vacation....another 10 days off although paid but off. So you are down to 245 days of work. And if you work for a real company, you might get "national holidays" off and paid for also. So let's add up the days. MLK, President's, Good Friday, Memorial, Independence, Labor, Some get "Columbus" Day, but we won't add that one in, 2 days at Thanksgiving, and 2 days at Christmas. So that is another 10 days of paid days off. Now you have worked 235 days in a year, and if you work longer hours and not management, you get paid OVERTIME. While your wife gets NO PAY FOR VACATION, OR NATIONAL HOLIDAYS. She gets a guaranteed 5 days of sick time from state, paid for, and depending upon the district might get another 5 days. And most districts make teachers have to do some kind of summer "learning" on their own, at least 6 hours--some more than that. So we will add another 3 days to your wife's contract and she will NEVER GET PAID OVERTIME......so she works 190 days a year under contract, where you work 235 days a year under contract. Man you should be so proud of the fact that you brag about making 3 times what she does for that extra 45 days of work. SMH.

41 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

And this goes into something I believe I said earlier in this thread...$100,000 x 22 is, if my math is right, $2.2 million.

Is it necessary to have 22 administrators in a school district? And who counts as an administrator? If you halved that number, how many teachers could you pay with an extra $1.1 million?

How and Where the money is spent is important.

Those are just easy numbers to do math with, that people on here might be able to understand. I don't know how much each district sends to the state, but yes, my district has 22 people making $100K per year. That is from principals to superintendent, including some coaches. 

2 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Those are just easy numbers to do math with, that people on here might be able to understand. I don't know how much each district sends to the state, but yes, my district has 22 people making $100K per year. That is from principals to superintendent, including some coaches. 

Some of those expenses may somewhat be justified, then. I don't know how many schools are in your district, and how many other "administrators" there are. There are a number of coaches, as I understand, at larger school districts making six figures.

1 minute ago, Monte1076 said:

Some of those expenses may somewhat be justified, then. I don't know how many schools are in your district, and how many other "administrators" there are. There are a number of coaches, as I understand, at larger school districts making six figures.

We are a 1 high school town, 5A, we have less than 1600 students in high school. We have 1 middle school, 1 intermediate school, and 5 elementary/pre-schools, and 1 Alternative school. 9 total. So if all those principals are making $100k, that still leave 11 people who are in the Ad building. But those are 2022 figures, the 2023 figures have not been sent to the website yet. And that doesn't count all the Admin that makes over $90K. 

The highest paid teacher in the district in 2022 made $84k, that was teaching, coaching stipends, and bus driving stipend totaled. After him was another teacher in the 70s. The rest in the 60's and down. And those making over $55k were teachers with over 25 years experience. And 40% of our teachers are non certified. (working on their certificates)

4 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

The highest paid teacher in the district in 2022 made $84k, that was teaching, coaching stipends, and bus driving stipend totaled. After him was another teacher in the 70s. The rest in the 60's and down. And those making over $55k were teachers with over 25 years experience. And 40% of our teachers are non certified. (working on their certificates)

What is average rent where you live ?  What is average cost to buy a home where you live ?  Can a brand new teacher , or someone with a year or two teaching afford to rent or buy housing ?

Face it in America we pay what we value.  Education we really don't value much.  

6 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

So you are saying that she brings home 50% of what you do---I hope you mean "net" after taxes and TRS. And her base salary is 1/4 of yours. So what the heck is taken out of your check? Are they even taking out Social Security yet? 

But let me get this straight, you are complaining that your wife has a 187 day contract.......

YOU on the other hand work in the private sector--management or not---you should get 2 days a week off....meaning that you get 110 days off a year--those are called "weekends"--Leaving you with 255 days of work......Let's say you get 2 weeks vacation....another 10 days off although paid but off. So you are down to 245 days of work. And if you work for a real company, you might get "national holidays" off and paid for also. So let's add up the days. MLK, President's, Good Friday, Memorial, Independence, Labor, Some get "Columbus" Day, but we won't add that one in, 2 days at Thanksgiving, and 2 days at Christmas. So that is another 10 days of paid days off. Now you have worked 235 days in a year, and if you work longer hours and not management, you get paid OVERTIME. While your wife gets NO PAY FOR VACATION, OR NATIONAL HOLIDAYS. She gets a guaranteed 5 days of sick time from state, paid for, and depending upon the district might get another 5 days. And most districts make teachers have to do some kind of summer "learning" on their own, at least 6 hours--some more than that. So we will add another 3 days to your wife's contract and she will NEVER GET PAID OVERTIME......so she works 190 days a year under contract, where you work 235 days a year under contract. Man you should be so proud of the fact that you brag about making 3 times what she does for that extra 45 days of work. SMH.

He sounds like a d bag. My wife teaches. She runs circles around me. She definitely puts in more than 187 days. But like I said, she loves those little devils to death. Can’t go nowhere in town that some 4th grader she has now or one in the past comes running to her and bear hugs her. Can’t put a price tag on something like that. Nothing more rewarding than making a positive impact on some young boys and girls out there. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Teachers will never get a bring home raise. As soon as the legislature gives them a raise, the same legislators have their greedy hands in the insurance business, so they raise the price of insurance. It’s all a big racket. 

4 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

Have you seen tuition for private and boarding schools?

Yes, makes me think the rich kids get the proper education.  That I just maybe my opinion .  I maybe wrong.  

13 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

You got it all figured out. 👍 Go get you a private sector job and get back to me on how bad teachers have it.

7 hours ago, SmokedOut said:

He sounds like a d bag. My wife teaches. She runs circles around me. She definitely puts in more than 187 days. But like I said, she loves those little devils to death. Can’t go nowhere in town that some 4th grader she has now or one in the past comes running to her and bear hugs her. Can’t put a price tag on something like that. Nothing more rewarding than making a positive impact on some young boys and girls out there. 

lol intrinsic value of teaching kids is unmatched. That value doesn’t translate to providing for your own family unfortunately. I am simply stating in the private sector my wife would have to make 20k more to bring home what she does now. And for a 12 year teacher, finding a 187 day job, with the same off times as your kids, that brings home 20k more than what she does now would be no easy task.  Any job that good would be way more competitive than being a teacher also. Might take years to land something like that and you wouldn’t have the intrinsic value either. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

You got it all figured out. 👍 Go get you a private sector job and get back to me on how bad teachers have it.

Yeah buddy, I have worked in the private sector, for 2 major corporations....TXU & Exxon, while I worked my way through college. I know what goes on in the private sector and I know what goes on in education. Both have their good qualities & bad qualities......Since you got out of one of the sectors, don't cry us a river......you could have the same days off as your wife and kids also. 

And to let you know, I still work in the private sector every month.....on my "educational" days off, (weekends)....And I love that work also.....It pays well, I work with my college roommate, who I have known for 42 years, and we get things done correctly, the first time......Not like a lot of businesses where "there is never enough time to get the job done right, but always enough time to do it over." :rofl:

• Like 1