Paris and Paris North Lamar. Revolving door of coaches.

14 hours ago, WillieDaWildcat said:

Coaches don’t want to stay at Paris because it’s no fun getting cussed out in front of the kids. Also, when you have 3rd or 4th seed talent, but schedule a non district schedule of a team who is gearing up for a state run, you lose more than you win… Why try to play North Lamar or Bonham and build some confidence when you can play PG and Gilmer and lose

Why would North Lamar or Bonham want to play Paris?

Posted (edited)

Pay at NL is terrible, as well as very little support from HS Prinicpals and Admin Office.  They are slow to help get coaches hired work very little with the coaches to get the best fits.  There is very little pride placed on athletic success and an effort to make that any better.  Admin is always trying to cut coaching jobs and add more teaching responsibilities to coaches.  I know whitaker left to be a coordinator and got a 30k raise.  

Just a place that the admin is fine with being well below average at football

They can say what they want at Paris HS but they ran a great coach off in Coach Steed

Edited by BLACKANDGOLDNATION

On 5/9/2024 at 1:26 PM, LamarCounty said:

Does anyone have any insight on what is going on at Paris and Paris North Lamar?

Paris has had coaches who have been there for years leave in the last few weeks. I’ve heard many others want out. They have posted quite a few coaching jobs in the last few months.

Paris North Lamar has the head football, OC, and DC leave and they have posted atleast 3 or 4 more jobs just relating to football. They have also posted a few jobs on the girls side.

It can’t just be a money thing. Paris Chisum pays state minimum and their stipends can’t be more than Paris and NL. There is rarely any turnover there and when there is the jobs get filled relatively quick.

If a HC leaves, expect over half of their staff to leave no matter what the school is unless it’s an internal promotion.  Just the nature of it all.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Coach Rab said:

If a HC leaves, expect over half of their staff to leave no matter what the school is unless it’s an internal promotion.  Just the nature of it all.

It was an internal hire. I’ve heard the mass exodus isn’t because people don’t like the guy, they supposedly are taking an athletic period away and are requiring coaches to teach an extra class

Edited by NL_Panther69
  • Wow 1

11 minutes ago, NL_Panther69 said:

It was an internal hire. I’ve heard the mass exodus isn’t because people don’t like the guy, they supposedly are taking an athletic period away and are requiring coaches to teach an extra class

That sucks.  Sounds like a principal is taking the easy route instead of just figuring it out.  Plenty of schools around the state that he could model his master schedule after

On 5/9/2024 at 6:44 PM, NL_Panther69 said:

I’m proud to be a North Lamar graduate, but if athletics keep getting looked down on by upper admin we’re going to lose more and more kids. Why go to North Lamar where the people in power show no support to athletics when you can go to Prairieland, Chisum, or Paris where they invest in their athletic facilities.

You’re so right.   NL should have invested in their facilities years ago.   So far behind the times.  All facilities are sub par for a 4A district.   

On 5/10/2024 at 9:10 AM, Valhalla said:

Why would North Lamar or Bonham want to play Paris?

Why would Paris want to play Pleasant Grove or Gilmer? North Lamar and Bonham are both incompetent schools. I think they would be stupid enough to play us if we approached them

7 minutes ago, WillieDaWildcat said:

Why would Paris want to play Pleasant Grove or Gilmer? North Lamar and Bonham are both incompetent schools. I think they would be stupid enough to play us if we approached them

Paris is good enough to make bad teams not want to play them, but not good enough to beat the teams of similar size in the region that will play them. 

32 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Paris is good enough to make bad teams not want to play them, but not good enough to beat the teams of similar size in the region that will play them. 

That is so accurate.  

Bonham isn’t going to schedule Paris.  They were getting destroyed in 3A-I and now moving up to 4A-II, they will try and get non district wins if they can.  They have been recently scheduling teams like S&S and Callisburg and still struggling with them.

• Sad 1

NL had improvement the past 3 years tried to keep continuity with in-house hire didn’t help with mass exodus of staff and loss of good QB will probably lead to 1 and 2 win seasons 

On 5/11/2024 at 9:17 PM, Valhalla said:

People don't understand this. A pre-district schedule goes both ways. No way in hell Bonham or NL is signing up to get beat by 50 by Paris.And no one believes the coach when he says "Man we are going to be down the next couple of years."  Paris will have to schedule long drives, or tough opponents. 

As far as this topic its been somewhat bluntly mentioned. Paris is not a real desirable area right now. You don't get paid great, you're not really in a small town or a city, and at any school you pick winning very much will be tough. You might as well work in the Frisco area and make way more.  I know at one point Chisum had hired a lot of hometown guys that didn't care about ever leaving, they have decent facilities, no big headaches in the classroom and not a lot of expectations. 

On 5/10/2024 at 6:15 PM, Coach Rab said:

That sucks.  Sounds like a principal is taking the easy route instead of just figuring it out.  Plenty of schools around the state that he could model his master schedule after

I know of an instance when the Principal wouldn't let 5 athlets move to the Varsity Athletic period, because it would put to much work on his counselors to move them.  He doesnt want to give the coaches a chance to win. 

On 5/9/2024 at 3:46 PM, NL_Panther69 said:

I’ve heard that the teaching side of things isn’t very good at NL. A lot of micromanagement. It’s a shame too that we are running off coaches when we have had some minor success by NL standards. I have heard that we are running a spread offense and kids are excited and coming out, so hopefully we can get a full staff and take advantage of the young athletes we have.

Hasn't North Lamar been running flexbone the past couple seasons? Seems like that system was working better than the past. 

Posted (edited)

Paris lost to the team who won the state championship by 1. They aren't bad.

The only team they lost to that made me scratch my head was Sulphur Springs.

There losses were to Celina 2x, Gilmer, PG, Van (by 1), Anna, and Sulphur Springs.

North Lamar and Bonham aren't signing up to play that and I don't blame them. Paris could probably convince some lesser 5A school to play them.

Edited by Valhalla

6 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

Hasn't North Lamar been running flexbone the past couple seasons? Seems like that system was working better than the past. 

I agree, but apparently the kids are excited about the new offense. I’m worried we won’t have a coaching staff to coach them. It seems like every week I hear of a different coach leaving and supposedly we aren’t getting many applicants.

3 minutes ago, NL_Panther69 said:

I agree, but apparently the kids are excited about the new offense. I’m worried we won’t have a coaching staff to coach them. It seems like every week I hear of a different coach leaving and supposedly we aren’t getting many applicants.

North Lamar isn’t winning a single game in the spread. You guys will be 0-10. Don’t matter if you have 4 coaches or 12

10 minutes ago, WillieDaWildcat said:

North Lamar isn’t winning a single game in the spread. You guys will be 0-10. Don’t matter if you have 4 coaches or 12

And you guys will be 3-7 and sitting at home during the playoffs too.

Just now, NL_Panther69 said:

And you guys will be 3-7 and sitting at home during the playoffs too.

We might go 6-4 and make the playoffs if all the kids from North Lamar who I am hearing are looking to move across town end up showing up. Have fun being the laughing stock of Lamar County bud. You might want to start barking at Chisum and Prarieland since those are the only schools you guys are going to be able to compete with in the future. Have fun watching that band buddy

On 5/10/2024 at 6:03 PM, NL_Panther69 said:

surely not

Can someone help me out and remind me when anywhere in that area has been a destination for anything?  MAYBE the red hat on the scaled down Eiffel Tower?  I saw it over 30 years ago and apologized to my wife for wasting that time she'll never get back.

It's in the middle of nowhere so that means the breeding pool has been limited.  People there LOVE being there and are proud of it...they can't seem to understand not everyone in the world wants to be there (don't believe me? look at this thread).

Every couple of years this is one of those "if the right guy comes in and..." I'm past that.  I've grown up and realized that a coach can only do so much.  At some point the people that are in the area need to look at the common denominator and realize there needs to be some systemic changes that happen and that starts by looking themselves square in the mirror.