There isn't any truth to corporate greed.

13 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

This has to be wrong! Barry told us otherwise!

EXPERTS!!

If only you'd graduated college, or at least went!  You freakin' heathen! 😂

• LOL! 1

14 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

If only you'd graduated college, or at least went!  You freakin' heathen! 😂

Remember to support Hamas both here and abroad, they're only doing what's right for you and all Jews.  

10 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

Corporate greed not to blame for price pressures, Fed study shows (aol.com)

The leftist "experts" were wrong AGAIN as usual.  It's been Brandon's policies all along.  

The only problem in your article is that corporations admit to it in their quarterly share holder reports .  Charge as much as you want and blame inflation.  

take your pick of sources.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=corporations+admit+to+price+gouging&rlz=1CAVARX_enUS1100&oq=corporations+admit+to+price+gouging&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigATIHCAMQIRigATIHCAQQIRifBTIHCAUQIRifBTIHCAYQIRifBTIHCAcQIRifBTIHCAgQIRifBTIHCAkQIRifBdIBCTE0NTQxajBqN6gCCLACAQ&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BlahBlah said:

NO !  That was me.  See my sources above post  

Then why don't they constantly do that? That's where articles like that make no sense. Why not just make a Whopper $50 at Burger King?

Why not make bread $20 a loaf? Why not make lettuce $10/head? Why not make milk $20/gallon?

If these corporations are greedy, with the implication being that they're doing this on purpose (i.e. "because we can"), then why aren't they just doing it all the time, all the way down the line?

Yes, I know I used a fallacy there. I'm doing it to make a point.

If I charge $100/hour for a programming project for someone, am I price gouging?

Edited by Monte1076

1 hour ago, Monte1076 said:

Then why don't they constantly do that? That's where articles like that make no sense. Why not just make a Whopper $50 at Burger King?

Why not make bread $20 a loaf? Why not make lettuce $10/head? Why not make milk $20/gallon?

If these corporations are greedy, with the implication being that they're doing this on purpose (i.e. "because we can"), then why aren't they just doing it all the time, all the way down the line?

Yes, I know I used a fallacy there. I'm doing it to make a point.

If I charge $100/hour for a programming project for someone, am I price gouging?

They are trying to find out where the consumer says no more.  McDonald’s found out .  Sells plummeted.  

2 hours ago, BlahBlah said:

I picked the first one.  Companies are using inflation to price-gouge Americans – and making it worse | Robert Reich | The Guardian .  Of course this is from the U.K., and his first example is Pepsi.  He goes on to state that near monopolies are making prices higher, and states that Pepsi is their only competition.  There are many brands on the market, and he failed to mention Dr. Pepper.  Then he brings up beef, poultry, and beef products and as the article states those prices are up 30% since Biden took office.  Then he states that Biden is doing a fine job of enforcing anti-trust laws.  What happens when the Government sues businesses ?  They have to pay for the legal costs and fines as we saw with the tobacco industry and they increase their prices on their consumers.  Who else is going to pay those bills.  Speaking of cigarettes they have increased tremendously since Clinton unleashed the DOJ on Philip Morris.  The price for a pack in 1999 was $2 and now they are $10 and 44% of that is all taxes, but in 2020 they were only $6 a pack. 

The thing is, it's not the prices for what is mentioned above it's for everything.  Name anything that has gone down during Biden's administration.  Today, Biden added more additional costs if someone is looking for a cheaper alternative than American goods, and it also increases the cost on those that desire to go Green.  Thanks Brandon :   Biden sets huge new tariffs on electric vehicles, chips and other goods from China (aol.com) 

Listen, both of your points are valid in some ways.

Taxes, inflation and greed all take their part in all of this.

Taxes and inflation costs the corporations more money than before.

The government says “keep the prices the same, but pay us more.

However, corporations don’t work that way.  They want to see quarterly and annual gains or their company becomes stagnant and loses value.  

So in order to just break even, and by even I mean make the same millions and billions they do yearly, they have to match at minimum the production cost by raising prices on goods and services.

Simply put, both are right and wrong on this matter.  

1 hour ago, BlahBlah said:

They are trying to find out where the consumer says no more.  McDonald’s found out .  Sells plummeted.  

And people think raising Min Wage for workers at McDonalds is gonna NOT cause that? California is a prime example. They raised the wage to $20/hour, and what happened? It wasn't "corporate greed". Mom & Pop businesses shut down. Some smaller companies laid people off.

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

The price for a pack in 1999 was $2 and now they are $10 and 44% of that is all taxes, but in 2020 they were only $6 a pack. 

44%? I figured it was higher than that. I don't smoke (never have, don't plan to), but I figured Cig Taxes were higher than that.

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

Name anything that has gone down during Biden's administration.  

The value of my paycheck......since I have to spend more on things like gas and food. But hey, I am just a lowly teacher, I am sure those in the private sector are making "bank". 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

The value of my paycheck......since I have to spend more on things like gas and food. But hey, I am just a lowly teacher, I am sure those in the private sector are making "bank". 

Wondering how I should put this...

I make low six figures, and I've noticed it, too, believe it or not, and I don't have any debt. I likely haven't "noticed" it to the extent that you have, but I've still noticed it.

5 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

Wondering how I should put this...

I make low six figures, and I've noticed it, too, believe it or not, and I don't have any debt. I likely haven't "noticed" it to the extent that you have, but I've still noticed it.

Me and the wife make about $200k.  Trust me, everyone who doesn’t have a high 6 figure income is feeling it

6 hours ago, Coach Rab said:

Listen, both of your points are valid in some ways.

Taxes, inflation and greed all take their part in all of this.

Taxes and inflation costs the corporations more money than before.

The government says “keep the prices the same, but pay us more.

However, corporations don’t work that way.  They want to see quarterly and annual gains or their company becomes stagnant and loses value.  

So in order to just break even, and by even I mean make the same millions and billions they do yearly, they have to match at minimum the production cost by raising prices on goods and services.

Simply put, both are right and wrong on this matter.  

Every company unless they are not for profit has a profit margin (%) that they try to maintain.  Many complain about health insurance, but health insurance companies usually only make a 3% profit.  With rising costs the dollar amounts are going to go up, and who made insurance costs go up ?  Democrats with Obamacare.  With many of these companies we're not seeing their percentage of profit go up, but we are seeing the $ amounts go up.  Oil and gas is a different beast.  As we all know many oil and gas companies lost billions in 2020.  Biden hasn't helped matters with his war on oil to support Green Energy.  I don't care if companies make money, but many of Brandon's policies haven't helped with inflation of all kinds.     

6 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

And people think raising Min Wage for workers at McDonalds is gonna NOT cause that? California is a prime example. They raised the wage to $20/hour, and what happened? It wasn't "corporate greed". Mom & Pop businesses shut down. Some smaller companies laid people off.

What's funny is now workers are asking for a $30 minimum wage in California, because $20 an hour isn't covering the cost of living now there.  The Trickle Down Economy isn't all about money trickling down from the ultra rich or the owners of businesses.  It's from all of us.  If we can't go and eat at McDonalds then they money from our wallets isn't going to trickle down, because people can't afford it.  

Many Family Dollar's are also closing down and all of the 99 cent Only stores are closing.  "Experts" blame it on macro management, but those stores never sold anything usually that had top brand names.  They only sold the off brand names or overstocked brand names to sell.  Many of the companies and store managers blame shoplifters, because of rising prices due to Brandon's ineffectiveness.  In the area I live I pass by both a 99 cent Only Store and a Dollar Tree and both have been broken into at night when they were closed.  What are you going to steal at a Dollar store that's worth something.  

Then we've also read of Food Banks that aren't receiving donations now because of food inflation, and that's causing them a shortage.  US food banks struggle to feed hungry amid surging prices | AP News.  I have never been to a food bank except to donate, but I'd go there before I applied for SNAP/Food Stamps.  

6 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

44%? I figured it was higher than that. I don't smoke (never have, don't plan to), but I figured Cig Taxes were higher than that.

It depends on the State of course too.  On average it's 44.3%.  The Federal Tax is $1.01, but they are only showing a $1.41 tax in Texas, but I can remember 4 instances of notices that cartons were going up $10 or $1 a pack.  When they added another $10 a carton in 2007 going from $44 a carton to $54, I began going to Shreveport once a month to stock up since Louisiana didn't add another tax.  A Guide to Cigarette Prices by State in 2023 (moneyzine.com)

16 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

Every company unless they are not for profit has a profit margin (%) that they try to maintain.  Many complain about health insurance, but health insurance companies usually only make a 3% profit.  With rising costs the dollar amounts are going to go up, and who made insurance costs go up ?  Democrats with Obamacare.  With many of these companies we're not seeing their percentage of profit go up, but we are seeing the $ amounts go up.  Oil and gas is a different beast.  As we all know many oil and gas companies lost billions in 2020.  Biden hasn't helped matters with his war on oil to support Green Energy.  I don't care if companies make money, but many of Brandon's policies haven't helped with inflation of all kinds.     

Here is the crazy part.  The most effective way for insurance costs to go down is socialized healthcare.

Government sets the prices on everything.  But you know what would happen after that?  Prices would slowly increase until we are back to where we are right now.  

Obamacare ruined rates.  I’ve been a big fan of Obama’s policy that would not let insurance exclude pre-existing conditions, but beyond that, everything else that came with Obamacare ruined prices and costs.

24 minutes ago, Coach Rab said:

Here is the crazy part.  The most effective way for insurance costs to go down is socialized healthcare.

Government sets the prices on everything.  But you know what would happen after that?  Prices would slowly increase until we are back to where we are right now.  

Obamacare ruined rates.  I’ve been a big fan of Obama’s policy that would not let insurance exclude pre-existing conditions, but beyond that, everything else that came with Obamacare ruined prices and costs.

That's why whenever anyone referred to it as the "Affordable Care Act", my question was always "Affordable to who?"

1 hour ago, Monte1076 said:

That's why whenever anyone referred to it as the "Affordable Care Act", my question was always "Affordable to who?"

its not even affordable for the people who they intended it for.  $12000 deductibles etc.

Just now, Monte1076 said:

How do poor people look when they defend Democrats who don't give AF about them? The same way?

That gives off a great “I know you are but what am I” vibe. Come on sir. Surely you can be more original than a kindergarten comeback.