Texas Near The Bottom Or At The Bottom Funding Education and Taking Care Of Teachers

My question, @BarryLaverty, and I mean this with all sincerity, is where is the other $10,875 per student (on average) being spent?? Administration? TEA Lobbying? Athletics? Construction on schools? Where?

I will, however, point out that those "top three" in those lists generally have higher costs of living, too. As well as state income taxes and higher taxes overall.

This is proof positive that SPENDING MORE MONEY does not corelate to better education ....

Does anyone actually believe that New York, Washington D.C. and New Jersey have higher quality education than Texas? .....

• Like 1

Anybody pretends that there is respect and appreciation and full support for public education from those in power in Austin, in line with what is needed or remotely keeping up with the norm in the rest of this country, is completely full of poop and there's no way to spin that.

4 hours ago, Olduy said:

How the heck can we be 51st with in 50 states?

also doesn’t show what these “benefits” are

another hit piece Barry drug up

Benefits are the state contribution toward retirement, and educators are limited to TRS for retirement, and contribution to insurance cost. 

14 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Anybody pretends that there is respect and appreciation and full support for public education from those in power in Austin, in line with what is needed or remotely keeping up with the norm in the rest of this country, is completely full of poop and there's no way to spin that.

So really, Barry, where's the money going? Is it administration (i.e. "administrators", maintenance, etc?), or other things? If the data you're saying is right, then roughly 7.8% of that money is going to teachers. So where's the other 92+ percent going?

5 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

So really, Barry, where's the money going? Is it administration (i.e. "administrators", maintenance, etc?), or other things? If the data you're saying is right, then roughly 7.8% of that money is going to teachers. So where's the other 92+ percent going?

In this state, my strong belief is that it is going to extravagantly paying administrators and doling out cash for the newest programs out there. There is a societal belief that educators are lesser somehow and less deserving of appropriate pay for the amount of education they must accumulate and the impact they make. In recent years the public education system has been directly attacked by forces who have deep pockets to diminish it by scurrilous smearing and spreading a supposed need for vouchers to escape them, when in fact it is a push for the richest among us to be rewarded for their elitism and as quid pro quo. 

• Thanks 1
  • Roll Eyes 1

42 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

In this state, my strong belief is that it is going to extravagantly paying administrators and doling out cash for the newest programs out there. There is a societal belief that educators are lesser somehow and less deserving of appropriate pay for the amount of education they must accumulate and the impact they make. In recent years the public education system has been directly attacked by forces who have deep pockets to diminish it by scurrilous smearing and spreading a supposed need for vouchers to escape them, when in fact it is a push for the richest among us to be rewarded for their elitism and as quid pro quo. 

So given that, consider this:

If, instead of the 7.8 percent of the $11,803, you had 25% (nearly $2951) to, let's say, 50% (nearly $5902) that $11k+ amount in the teacher bucket?

Because it sounds a LOT like a spending priority issue. I don't know how much things cost district by district, but from the outside looking in, it sounds like a spending priority problem.

Edited by Monte1076

I agree with @BarryLaverty on this issue. Teachers are woefully underpaid. Anyone on here that has a spouse or another family member in education knows this. I’m partial to her, but my wife works circles around me or anyone in the private sector. Huge supply problem with teachers. Basic economics teaches the law of supply and demand and how it sets the market. It applies to everything except teachers for some reason. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SmokedOut said:

I agree with @BarryLaverty on this issue. Teachers are woefully underpaid. Anyone on here that has a spouse or another family member in education knows this. I’m partial to her, but my wife works circles around me or anyone in the private sector. Huge supply problem with teachers. Basic economics teaches the law of supply and demand and how it sets the market. It applies to everything except teachers for some reason. 

I think it's a spending prioritization problem, partially. If 7.8% of the school funding is going to teachers, where's the other 92% going?

14 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

I think it's a spending prioritization problem, partially. If 7.8% of the school funding is going to teachers, where's the other 92% going?

Supts make a ton. High powered programs pay a ton for their AD’s. Not saying it’s not warranted but at the end of the day school is for learning. Lots of money goes towards the newest and latest curriculums. Whatever the reason, they better fix it. Not many young people are going into the profession. Why would they? Terrible pay coupled with wild kids and uppity parents isn’t very appealing. 

27 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Billion dollar stadiums, etc

Dont get me wrong as a former official working in a cool stadium was neat but we have gotten too far of of the reading, writing, and arithmetic.

17 minutes ago, Olduy said:

Billion dollar stadiums, etc

Dont get me wrong as a former official working in a cool stadium was neat but we have gotten too far of of the reading, writing, and arithmetic.

I thought those stadiums were funded through taxpayer bonds or something.