Return of the T

I have noticed that more schools seem to be trending toward some form of the T whether Wing, Slot, Wide slot, shotgun T or occasionally a Straight T. Also read that no East Texas school qualified for state 7 on 7 tournaments. My question is have the defensive skills and adjustments caught up ? I know some schools will NEVER change so they can outscore the opponents.

2 minutes ago, Destry said:

I have noticed that more schools seem to be trending toward some form of the T whether Wing, Slot, Wide slot, shotgun T or occasionally a Straight T. Also read that no East Texas school qualified for state 7 on 7 tournaments. My question is have the defensive skills and adjustments caught up ? I know some schools will NEVER change so they can outscore the opponents.

There are multiple East Texas teams (as always) qualified for the State 7 on 7. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destry said:

I know Tyler High qualified, and I believe a couple of others.

I think there's only one ET qualifier in big school division(JT). They went to several tourneys.

Smaller divisions had quite a few more. Bigger schools in ET saw a lot of lost interest this year. Not to mention there's only one sqt in ET. Smaller schools had several opportunities.

It appears overall sqt interest is not as huge as it used to be. Coaches are preferring or satisfied with the comfort of the local league play.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mav01 said:

I think there's only one ET qualifier in big school division(JT). They went to several tourneys.

Smaller divisions had quite a few more. Bigger schools in ET saw a lot of lost interest this year. Not to mention there's only one sqt in ET. Smaller schools had several opportunities.

It appears overall sqt interest is not as huge as it used to be. Coaches are preferring or satisfied with the comfort of the local league play.

Do coaches even really like 7v7 period since they can't coach?  Hearing most coaches don't want to even participate, but feel parent/admin pressure to do so.  

4 minutes ago, gottacaseofsiccadis said:

Do coaches even really like 7v7 period since they can't coach?  Hearing most coaches don't want to even participate, but feel parent/admin pressure to do so.  

Lol at coaches not coaching during 7v7. Maybe not as much during a SQT but it happens after every play from the league action I have seen.  Carry on, this just made me chuckle.....

• LOL! 1

I think that's one reason local league play is preferred. Coaches can be more involved and they can get a good look at several kids in different spots before Fall.

Tournaments can be overly intense and winning can get in the way of building for the fall (some teams).  Injuries are more likely to occur as well. It really just depends on the particular coaching staff and the summer goals that off-season. 

1 hour ago, mav01 said:

In East TX large schools with the current crop of coaches interest isn't quite as high..but interest at the small school level statewide is probably as high as its ever been...I'd say for bigger schools its trending pretty steady overall...more schools participate overall than say 10 years ago, but schools from my data maybe only play 1 or 2 tournaments tops....where back in the day more teams played in 3 or 4....

At least in DFW I see teams have subbed out a qualifier tournament and they'll go play in one of the college 7on7 tournaments now...SMU has 2, UNT held one and A&M held one..I expect to see that trend grow

I do think Jacksonville will be back playing next year..OC change influenced that decision this year....I bet Corsicana jumps into the Tyler tournament next year as well so I think there will be a bit more local flavor in 2025 especially since I think Tyler High will be back in it as well 

2 hours ago, gottacaseofsiccadis said:

I know Bellville never does 7v7… We run the Slot T obviously and idk if that is a factor and the coaches may think it’s a waste of time idk 

19 minutes ago, Utfan06 said:

I know Bellville never does 7v7… We run the Slot T obviously and idk if that is a factor and the coaches may think it’s a waste of time idk 

Whether a team throws the ball much or not, I would think they would benefit defensively from playing 7v7.

1 hour ago, Utfan06 said:

Love to watch slot t. Throw 6-8 times a game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SmokedOut said:

Slot T is so boring. Effective but boring as hell. 

Yes sir. I agree. Maybe they want the other team to go to sleep because they are bored to death.😁But, and that’s a big but- it helps equalize the game for some schools.

43 minutes ago, Destry said:

Yes sir. I agree. Maybe they want the other team to go to sleep because they are bored to death.😁But, and that’s a big but- it helps equalize the game for some schools.

It does if you implement it correctly. I’ve seen film of teams that went to the Slot-T thinking that it help them be more competitive and it didn’t. It’s more than a playbook. It’s an entire change in mentality. One of these teams, compared to a team that ran it with quite a bit of success, looked like they were moving in slow motion. For it to work, everything has to happen in the blink of an eye. Otherwise, defenders are able to get their reads and follow the ball and make plays.