Bill Richardson tosses his cap in the ring for 2008

RETIREDFAN1

Report: Richardson 'going in 2008' print

By STEVE TERRELL | The New Mexican

November 12, 2005

Gov. Bill Richardson is having a local book-signing next week for his new autobiography Between Worlds: The Making of an American Life, but don't expect him to be as forthright about his future political plans as he reportedly was at a Georgetown dinner during his recent East Coast book tour.

According to Washington Post columnist Al Kamen, several guests at "old pals Elizabeth and Smith Bagley's lovely manse in Georgetown for dinner with two dozen well-heeled folks," say Richardson was quite open about his presidential ambitions.

And in an interview about his book on CSPAN2, to be shown Sunday, Richardson said he won't pledge to serve a full term if he wins re-election next year.

"After a dinner of lamb and wild rice and crepes suzette, Richardson held forth," Kamen wrote in his column Friday.

" 'You gotta read my book,' he said a few times, and then he explained why governors were the future for Democrats. Then: 'Keep your powder dry,' Richardson was quoted by one guest as saying, 'I'm running, and you can tell people that.' Two others recalled him saying: 'I'm going in 2008.' "

Kamen wrote, "The group was 'a little surprised,' said one attendee. 'It wasn't billed as an announcement dinner.' "

Efforts to reach a Richardson spokesman Friday were unsuccessful.

According to Kalen, the guests at the dinner included AOL co-founder Jim Kimsey, Washington developer Herbert S. Miller, Carlyle Group founder and managing director David M. Rubinstein, former U.S. Information Agency chief Joseph Duffey, lobbyist Anne L. Wexler, former congressman and ambassador to Mexico James R. Jones, former Democratic National Committee chairman Terry McAuliffe, international lawyer Tom Wilner and bed-linen designer Jane Wilner.

Some of the guests, Kalen said, are committed to supporting Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., for president in 2008.

Though, as Kamen observed, Richardson "usually bobs and weaves and says he's running for re-election next year when asked about his presidential ambitions," the governor has dropped huge hints in recent months.

At the annual Gridiron Dinner in Washington, D.C. -- and later on a trip to New Hampshire, Richardson got a lot of laughs when he made statements in two languages:

"No, I will not run for president," he said in English. Then, switching to Spanish, he added, "Seguro que sí, ¡voy a ser candidato!" ("Of course, I will be a candidate!")

In February, Associated Press political reporter Ron Fournier filed a story on possible 2008 contenders that said, "New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson has told party leaders he will run."

A Richardson spokesman denied the report, but Fournier's editor stood by the story.

Richardson does that usual "bob and weave" in a book-tour interview for C-SPAN2's Book TV program After Words. But when interviewer Chuck Todd asked if he's pledging to serve a full four-year term if re-elected, Richardson said no.

He cited President Bush, who told voters when running for re-election as Texas governor in 1998 that he might run for higher officer. "I may do the same, but I haven't decided that," Richardson said to Todd. "What I will do is I will tell my constituents the truth when I talk to them about whether I go beyond this. And, you know, (I haven't) gotten to that stage. All I want to do is be re-elected as governor, and I'm going full-steam on that."

Todd's show was taped this week and is scheduled to air at

4 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday.

Richardson's book-signing is scheduled to begin 5:30 p.m. Monday at Collected Works Bookstore, 208B West San Francisco St. For more information, call 988-4226.

Contact Steve Terrell at 986-3037 or [email protected].

Richardson has a ton of baggage from his Clinton administration days. He was roundly discredited just before leaving Clinton for the disappearance of nuclear secrets from a vault at the Energy Department's Los Alamos weapons lab in New Mexico. He was also a failure as Clinton's energy secretary. Talk about weak on national defense! :thumbdown:

Originally posted by Colmesneilfan1

I can't wait to see him and Hillary face off in the primaries. Imagine the information we'll learn about the Clinton administration in their commercials. :rofl:

That's right . . . How can Hillary attack Richardson's record, he worked for her hubby! Should be fun!!!! :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...

Drudgereport.com

Nov 24 3:28 PM US/Eastern

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.

Gov. Bill Richardson is coming clean on his draft record _ the baseball draft, that is, admitting that his claim to have been a pick of the Kansas City A's in 1966 was untrue.

For nearly four decades, Richardson, often mentioned as a possible Democratic presidential candidate, has maintained he was drafted by the Kansas City Athletics.

The claim was included in a brief biography released when Richardson successfully ran for Congress in 1982. A White House news release in 1997 mentioned it when he was about to be named U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. And several news organizations, including The Associated Press, have reported it as fact over the years.

But an investigation by the Albuquerque Journal found no record of Richardson being drafted by the A's, who have since moved to Oakland, or any other team.

Informed by the newspaper of its findings, the governor acknowledged the error in a story in Thursday's editions.

"After being notified of the situation and after researching the matter ... I came to the conclusion that I was not drafted by the A's," he said.

Richardson spokesman Gilbert Gallegos declined to comment when reached by the AP on Thursday.

Richardson, a right-handed pitcher who played at Tufts University, said he was actively scouted by several major league teams in the 1960s.

He insisted his name appeared on "a draft list of some kind" created by the Los Angeles Dodgers and Pittsburgh Pirates. He named team scouts, whom he said told him that he "would or could" be drafted. The scouts have since died.

Richardson later developed arm trouble, eliminating any possible pro career.

In the summer of 1967, he played for the amateur Cape Cod League's Cotuit (Mass.) Kettleers. The words "Drafted by K.C." appear next to his name on a faded team program, the Journal reported.

"When I saw that program in 1967, I was convinced I was drafted," Richardson said. "And it stayed with me all these years."

Then-general manager Arnold Mycock said the biographical information was supplied by players or their college coaches.

On a biographical sheet Richardson completed for Tufts in his junior year, he wrote, "Drafted by Kansas City (1966), LA (1968)." He said he wrote those words because he believed they were true.

"I never tried to embellish this," he said. "I never tried to mask it."

Richardson, elected governor in 2002, is seeking a second term next year.

I agree with that one.

A democrat Trooper gave me a ticket the other day. I couldn't see the radar gune but was told it figured out to be 70....Figured ? was he using a stop watch and a tape measure?

How about some proof.

Then Democrats don't need proof they just make it up as they go along.