Tatum vs. Canton

ridgemont4

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Eizek

Tatum erased many of my doubts Friday. It's getting to where I can just about see exactly what a team has to do to beat these guys. Canton presents the challenge I've been waiting to see — how will this defense respond to a pass-first offense. It's true, Gilmer's defense is not as good as Tatum's this year. The key will be that Tatum doesn't want to get into a shootout even in the 30's. The Eagles are going to bring a lot of pressure, and what makes them unique is that they cover the areas from which they blitz. Canton MUST stop Tatum's offense. That's the key to the ballgame, right there. It's Canton's defense against Tatum's offense. Both units have been scrutinized, but I think Canton will need its defense big time. If Tatum wins, the score will be 28-21. If Canton wins, it's 28-21.

Canton, how's you kicking game? That's what has led to Madison's, Brownsboro's and Carthage's downfall.

yeah i totally agree!:thumbsup:

i saw gilmer rack-up 58 on that mighty-green defense of cantons,while posting over 600 total yds of offense.last night rains was running all over them untill #5 got hurt.they are weak on the defensive line.tatums style of running will beat them down early.its all about 6 yds at a time for them.there defense is very fast and can attack from all over.there over -all team size and speed will pound on canton.canton will still score but it will not be 61!

tatum28

canton21

ps about cantons kicking game,well last night an xtra point was kicked into the centers butt.:whome:in warmups the kicker was leaving 35 yd attempts 10 yds short.thats why coach k always goes for it on 4th downs.

You did'nt tell him about Cantons 93 yard kickoff return for a TD.

To be Honest, If we play Tatum like we played last night we will lose. Our Offense had some dropped passes and GJ was a tad off . I don't know if Canton was looking ahead or what but they can play a whole lot better. As for you seeing Gilmer Rack up 58...Dude it was "Gilmer" you know the Defending State Champs! They have tons of speed Great Offenses can make any Defense look bad. As for Running attacks, Canton faced the best running tandem in 3a against Van. Calhoun for Van averaged 300+ yrds per game and only had 160 against Canton on 26 carries(and he broke an 80 yrdr). So he had 80 yrds on 25 carries after the long run. Canton can play the run when they need to! Question is...Can Tatum play the pass?

Yea, I was looking at the stats from Tatum/DM. Tatum had 5 yards passing and only 159 rushing yards on 42 attempts. Was DM's defense that good? Also DM(who is a running team) posted 106 yrds passing....sounds like a lot of passing yards for a running team.?.? How did Tatum post 28 points with only 164 yards of total offense?

Originally posted by Cntnf-ball

Yea, I was looking at the stats from Tatum/DM. Tatum had 5 yards passing and only 159 rushing yards on 42 attempts. Was DM's defense that good? Also DM(who is a running team) posted 106 yrds passing....sounds like a lot of passing yards for a running team.?.? How did Tatum post 28 points with only 164 yards of total offense?

Seven turnovers.

A good chunk of Madison's passing yards came on a hook-and-ladder call late in the fourth when the Trojans needed something to get back into the game. Madison's defense had three shutouts in district and allowed 80 points in 10 regular season ballgames. Their front four was able to get a lot of pressure from the corners, but Canton doesn't have that kind of speed either. The bottom line — Tatum established in the second half that it was going to run regardless of the yardage, drain the clock and punt, putting the pressure on Madison's offense. It worked — the third quarter was a scoreless blur, and Madison needed trickery to climb to within two with 3:55 remaining.

Don't be fooled by the scores or the statistics. Tatum is going to pressure Canton's offense — not just with blitz packages, but also frustrating the play-caller. Canton must establish the deep pass and stay in third-and-short situations. Tatum has a lot of doubters — many are long-time Eagles fans — but I see the plan.

Historically, Tatum has always won with offense. Whenever the Eagles lost — from 1993 through 2003 — teams had the outscore them in shootouts (Sealy in '96, Rains in '99, Gilmer in '03 and '04). This is the first time I can ever remember that Tatum has won 14-13 and 21-20. Those used to be scores of doom. Tatum is tremendously talented, they kids have been here before (third straight regional semifinals appearance and second finals trip) and they remain unfazed.

Friday night will be electric. Canton can prove it's an elite program by beating Tatum, but I don't think Tatum will be stopped yet. Only two teams can beat Tatum — Tatum, or a COMPLETE team.

It doesn't matter how good an offense is. A good defense will almost always beat a good offense. I've said it before, and I'll say it again : Offense wins games; defense wins championships.

Don't forget it.

Tatum will have to use that running game of theres otherwise, though, they are in some trouble... The passing game needs some work. But man, that defense will bring the house.

Bring the house Tatum fans, because you know Canton will!

Seven turnovers.

A good chunk of Madison's passing yards came on a hook-and-ladder call late in the fourth when the Trojans needed something to get back into the game. Madison's defense had three shutouts in district and allowed 80 points in 10 regular season ballgames. Their front four was able to get a lot of pressure from the corners, but Canton doesn't have that kind of speed either. The bottom line — Tatum established in the second half that it was going to run regardless of the yardage, drain the clock and punt, putting the pressure on Madison's offense. It worked — the third quarter was a scoreless blur, and Madison needed trickery to climb to within two with 3:55 remaining.

Don't be fooled by the scores or the statistics. Tatum is going to pressure Canton's offense — not just with blitz packages, but also frustrating the play-caller. Canton must establish the deep pass and stay in third-and-short situations. Tatum has a lot of doubters — many are long-time Eagles fans — but I see the plan.

Historically, Tatum has always won with offense. Whenever the Eagles lost — from 1993 through 2003 — teams had the outscore them in shootouts (Sealy in '96, Rains in '99, Gilmer in '03 and '04). This is the first time I can ever remember that Tatum has won 14-13 and 21-20. Those used to be scores of doom. Tatum is tremendously talented, they kids have been here before (third straight regional semifinals appearance and second finals trip) and they remain unfazed.

Friday night will be electric. Canton can prove it's an elite program by beating Tatum, but I don't think Tatum will be stopped yet. Only two teams can beat Tatum — Tatum, or a COMPLETE team.

well said -- I'm not meaning any disrespect to Canton, their record speaks for itself -- but all i can see here is Tatum rollin over canton -- good luck to both

Don't be fooled by the scores or the statistics. Tatum is going to pressure Canton's offense — not just with blitz packages, but also frustrating the play-caller. Canton must establish the deep pass and stay in third-and-short situations.

With GJ' cannon for an arm , I dont think the deep ball will ever be taken away, especially since so far, nobody has been able to cover Canton's outside receivers.

Canton 36

Tatum 28

Go C-Town eagles :smileybanger::smileybanger::smileybanger:

And he was off tonight!! Still rung up 42 points on a great defense. What happend to Tatum against Brownsboro? We spanked them like they were from Dallas!!!!! Did you boys have a cake walk in district? You should have played Van, Lindale and Chapel Hill and get a true mesure of what you are all about!! Bring it boys we wanted and now we are gonna get you. Can you keep up with the scoring Frenzy?

Let's not get into the "cake walk" issue...White Oak gave ya'll all you could handle ...and we gave them a good "spankin"

There will be no scoring frenzy in this game....Tatum's D will make sure of that

If Tatums D keeps playing like they have all year then Tatum will be the winner of this one, but make no mistake, Canton has an very impressive Offense and can score with many different players. Glad to see this one is back in East Texas for all of us to see. If Canton can make Tatum turn the ball over a few times, then it will be a dog fight for both teams.

Tatum 30

Canton 21

Im one of the people on this website that has the opportunity to say that they have played both canton and tatum. Both teams in my opinion are really good football teams! Canton is good and they have shown that they can win games when they play a good defensive team like BB for instince and they still won! They also played Van and still won that one too! So for all you people that say Canton is going to loose by saying they dont no how to win against teams that have good defense your wrong. Tatum is an outstanding football team they have an ok offense but there deffense is the "BOMB". It seems like they know what play your going to run before you run it. As soon as you say hut they are through the line and making a quick tackle. this game is going to be good and its great to see Canton play them and We will see but no matter what the EAGLES will win this one!

Canton 35

Tatum 34

Guest TtownEagle803

Its called "Defense", and we just happen to have the best. 5 INTs, one of which went 65 yards for a TD and 2 fumble recoveries setting us up in scoring posititon. D-Mad had a heck of a defense...they were fast and tough.