Killed in Iraq

Straw

We just got word that my Wife's cousin, Scott Modeen, was among the soldiers that were killed by the road side bomb. This is a sad day for us. Whenever you met this kid you left feeling that he was going to do great things. And some how I feel he did. My heart hurts for his dad and the family. Somehow thank you just doesnt sound good enough.

Originally posted by KirtFalcon

My prayers are with you and your family as well. His service and sacrifice to his country is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Kirt and the rest of you guys. I just talked to my wifes uncle, Scott's father, he is really upset with the media. There were reporters at his door. This is how how found out about it. After they told him they wouldnt leave him alone. They still support President Bush and our troops. Scott wanted to be where he could help the most. If I can find the letters he sent us I will try to post some of them.

Originally posted by strawberry66

Thanks Kirt and the rest of you guys. I just talked to my wifes uncle, Scott's father, he is really upset with the media. There were reporters at his door. This is how how found out about it. After they told him they wouldnt leave him alone. They still support President Bush and our troops. Scott wanted to be where he could help the most. If I can find the letters he sent us I will try to post some of them.

That is pitiful! The media is so hell bent on making the war look bad by finding the next Cindy Sheehan they don't care who they hurt in the process. If there is any way you could find out the reporter's name maybe something can be done about it.

I really feel bad for your family and my thoughts are with you all.

Originally posted by coach21

If you do find out the reporters name please post it so everyone can take some action to put a stop to that. Sorry for your loss, and everyone who serves this country is greatly appreciated!

From what I know it wasnt just one, it was many. They found out 12 hours after it happened. The Military will not release the names for 48 hours. I think the press should have waited until our family heard from the Marines.

Originally posted by EagleFAN8706

Really sorry to hear this, Straw... May God be with you and your family in your time of need :flowers:

Thank You Eaglefan. We just got this email from our niece,Scott's sister.

I don't know what we would do without the strength and support of everyone around us. Part of me is still in shock. Today was a rough day. Even though the military wasn't going to release Scott's information for 48 hrs., a local news channel got ahold of some of the information and was badgering us all day long. Finally they put out a story that was not 100% accurate. I contacted our Marine representative, because I didn't know what to do. He said although they don't always recommend it, the family has a right to talk to the media before the military does. The military waits 48 hrs. We almost felt like we had no choice. If they were going to be talking about Scott on the news, we wanted him represented in the right way, and with a nice picture. Sam and I took care of issuing the statement and getting the information out. Part of me feels like I did the wrong thing. I keep thinking that he really isn't gone and I shouldn't have put it out. It's just been a rough day. When we issued our statement, we told them that we, the family, don't even know the full details of his death. I would just think they could give us time to greive. It wasn't even 12 hrs. and that guy was calling uncle Jerry, my dad and one of my friends.

I only got 1 hr. sleep last night. Haven't been able to eat a thing. About 2 pieces of cheese and that was about it. I plan on spending most of the day with my dad tomorrow. My mom really wants to see me, too, so I am trying to find a time to go down there. I just really feel like I need to be with my dad, even if we don't talk about anything. Just so we'd be together. Our home number is ***-***-****, and I'll always have my cell ***-***-****.

Love you both,

Nikki

Originally posted by Aggie2008

That is pitiful! The media is so hell bent on making the war look bad by finding the next Cindy Sheehan they don't care who they hurt in the process. If there is any way you could find out the reporter's name maybe something can be done about it.

They're doing their job - covering a war when it hits home.

No greater story can be told than the ones of soldiers who lose their lives in battle - regardless if that battle is supported by 1 or 100 million.

Originally posted by sppunk
Originally posted by Aggie2008

They're doing their job - covering a war when it hits home.

No greater story can be told than the ones of soldiers who lose their lives in battle - regardless if that battle is supported by 1 or 100 million.

And I completely agree with you on that. They have a right and a responsibility to cover the news, especially a story on when the 'war hits home'. The problem is they also need to realize they are dealing with real people with real emotions with real tragedy in their lives. This news channel was so eager to post this bad news that they forgot that. When you are dealing with a soldier's death you have to respect them by respecting their family also.

Straw,

Sorry to hear about you and your family's loss. I know that we differ when it comes to faith, however I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Even though we have never met face to face, I consider you a friend, so if there is anything I do to help you out, Bud, just send me a u2u.