So you want your child to be a cheerleader huh?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

my daughter was a cheerleader for a couple of yrs in jr high and then a couple in high school. she got tired of the bs that went with the territory and lost interest. very political and i'll agree that at her school, the selection process was biased, even though she made it. it was cutthroat enough there with a squad that really wasn't that good compared to the "serious" squads. at competition, my daughter's squad would compete against the club teams and get killed. not even close. sort of like select baseball playing a dixie team. hate to see the stuff that goes on at the bigger more serious schools. all that being said, i think cheering is very important at sporting events and my sons really like em too.

• 4 weeks later...

The squads have gotten way out of hand. We need to reel them back in and focus on the sport of cheerleading and get away from all of the politics. My daughters have both started cheerleading and tumbling when they were very young. But if the politics do not calm down, I will be forced to pull them out even after the hundreds of thousands of dollars that we have spent.

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by mrse0706

If my son or daughter wants to cheer, who am I to say "no"? Where we live, there are no politics.

They must not have tried out yet !!!

I don't care where you are there is gonna be politics when selection time comes... Unless you live in a 1-A school district where there are only 15-20 girls in the High School...

My daughter was a cheerleader from 7th-12th grade and we saw lots and lots of politics. Most could have been avoided with a really stern sponsor/coach to tell "mamas" what they could do with it. She's now a cheerleader in college and amazingly enough......no politics!!! Now, little league baseball is ANOTHER story and probably another thread entirely. Is it my imagination, or is the politics involved with little league "stuff" unbelievable??????? I've never seen so much bickering among adults supposedly wanting what's best for their children. And most of it revolves around a so-called "board." Guess when it comes to kids, schools, parents, etc......there's politics, huh?????:thumbdown:

• 4 months later...

Fast forward 5 or 6 years. These girls graduate from college and apply for a job at a premier corporation and then they aren't hired...someone else is chosen. I can promise you the board of directors won't cave and give mommy and daddy's sweetheart a job after 100's of pages of emails claiming the interview process is unfair.

Geez, what exactly does that teach the kids? 33 on the squad... sign of the times I guess

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Not where I live there aren't. 11-4A.

Politics everywhere. Even up here in 11-4A.

BTW, for all you parents out there who think your kid should be included in everything he/she wants to try, you do him/her a tremedous disservice by teaching your child that he/she should be included in everything they try for, based solely on the fact he/she tried out for it. Life isn't that way. We shouldn't teach our kids it is.

Politics everywhere. Even up here in 11-4A.

BTW, for all you parents out there who think your kid should be included in everything he/she wants to try, you do him/her a tremedous disservice by teaching your child that he/she should be included in everything they try for, based solely on the fact he/she tried out for it. Life isn't that way. We shouldn't teach our kids it is.

Are there any boys sports in High School where there are cuts?

Guest texpal22
If my son or daughter wants to cheer, who am I to say "no"? Where we live, there are no politics.

what planet are you from?

Guest texpal22

i'm sure there is. me being at a 3a school i don't think there has been in the past but it's very possible there could be this year in baseball. we don't have a freshman team because it's more difficult to get games and we don't have enough room for all 3 to practice. in this case it's possible we may have alot of kids come out next year. i think the ideal number is about 16 max on each squad. i know it would be hard for me to justfy keeping 20-25 on each squad. if you do then we have parent problems big time. ooops don't want to get that started on this topic. :gameboy:

Guest bleedsbluengold24

Not at this one that I'm aware of.

:thumbsup: Whether you are from a 1A or a 5A school there is now and will always be politics! It is, unfortunatley, the way that we humans are wired. Stawberry66 asked if there were any boys sports in High School where there are cuts? I can only speak for our school, which by the way is 5A. Yes...............I know that our baseball and cross country teams do hold try outs and there are cuts. Don't get me wrong they are no were near the number of cuts for cheerleading. My kids high school has 3 squads, Varsity, Jv, and Freshman. Because of our numbers attending our school there are 16 Varsity, 16 JV, and 24 Freshman. on average for the 56 spots there are 200 students who apply (mostly girls however we do have a few male cheerleaders). Fortunatly we have a criteria mandated by our school board as to try out procedures: They start with teacher recommendations and conduct reviews. Then all cheerleaders must attend a 1 day clinic where they learn their routine and cheer, then they try out the very next day. The cheer and routine are made up of 3 college judges who teach and judge the entire process. Girls are provided numbers and are scored based on those numbers. Top numbers who meet a minimum criteria make the squad. This year we did not have enough Freshman or JV how met the minimum score so the squad was reduced to 20 Freshman and 11 JV.

Even with all these outside judges, minimum scoring and hard work there is still POLITICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and there always will be.............However it really is up to the individual cheerleader to decide how she is going to handle herself and it is up to the parents to decide what behavior they are willing to tolerate from their children. No I don't care for the attitudes of some of the cheerleaders, but guess what. This is a fact of life in every sport, every neighborhood, every family, and every career. You either adapt and learn to look around it or you will end up giving up those things that you love most!

So if my girls want to cheer they will cheer, if they are good enough to make the squad. Fortunatly both of my girls have been good enough. One is Varsity and one is Freshman. I can live with the politics because its is a part of life, they must learn to live with it instead of run from it. Actually I think that it has made them better individuals for dealing with it instead of quiting and looking for something a little easier.

JUST MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :

• 3 months later...

I have a serious question.

If a girl who is overweight tries out and doesn't make the cut because of her skills, or lack thereof, why is it that the parents automatically think its because of her weight and she was discriminated? If she wasnt good enough, she wasnt good enuff.

this brings up my next point. why are schools allowing underskilled cheerleaders and avoiding tryouts? this is like playing your 3rd string quarterback just to make his parents happy. I think cheerleaders need to earn there spot, just like football players. a summer of working out can go a long way. no disrespect meant towards anyone.

kev

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I have a serious question.

twhy are schools allowing underskilled cheerleaders and avoiding tryouts? this is like playing your 3rd string quarterback just to make his parents happy. I think cheerleaders need to earn there spot, just like football players. a summer of working out can go a long way. no disrespect meant towards anyone.

kev

Being a cheerleader is a legacy for some. Mommy was a cheerleader back in 1989 and Granny was a cheerleader in 1968 so it's little Morgan's right to be a cheerleader now.

Plus, daddy's on the school board.

Rah Rah Rah.

A no-brainer.

Being a cheerleader is a legacy for some. Mommy was a cheerleader back in 1989 and Granny was a cheerleader in 1968 so it's little Morgan's right to be a cheerleader now.

Plus, daddy's on the school board.

Rah Rah Rah.

A no-brainer.

I remember a school board president (who was a retired AD) who used to tell incoming board members that if they ever voted against adding spots to the cheerleading squad, he was giving their phone # to the parents of all the girls who didn't make squad. He also believed there should be a cheerleader on every yard line.

I remember a school board president (who was a retired AD) who used to tell incoming board members that if they ever voted against adding spots to the cheerleading squad, he was giving their phone # to the parents of all the girls who didn't make squad. He also believed there should be a cheerleader on every yard line.

I agree.

This also is why some schools may have had 6-7 cheerleaders a generation or so ago, and now have 20-25.

But this isn't done in all cases. Never downplay the importance of being born into the right family. If a cheerleader wannabe has the right parents, the number of cheerleaders will almost always be increased to include her. If not, it can easily be "too bad, so sad".

Years ago, cheerleaders were elected by the student body. This was later changed to where outside "experts" were brought in to select cheerleaders. Sounds good because it theoretically takes it from being a popularity contest to being selected on a skill or merit basis. Until you find out that the alleged "experts" are often friends of the sponsors or administrators and are told to make sure they pick certain girls to be cheerleaders no matter who else is picked.

Thank goodness football doesn't work like this. If it did, there'd be 50 boys of all caliber on the varsity starting offense.