Well he's done it [Bonds hits #714]

LJLPOP10

I find it very interesting that a historic home was hit in the afternoon & it took until 11:56pm to receive mention on the World’s Greatest Baseball Message Board.

I guess this is an instance when everyone DID notice the 500-pound elephant sitting in the living room ... or perhaps the Bonds apologists are out celebrating :whistle:

After playing 263 more games than Ruth he finally tied his homer total.

Well barry, have you heard of any of these other great players ? This is where your journey to the top will get next to impossible. Ruth, Williams, Gehrig, Foxx and Hornsby .........any of these ring a bell ?

You currently stand (or slump) at these career numbers:

...OBP..443 , SLG....610, BA...299 which is a OPS of 1.353.

If you can continue your pursuit of the Summit, you are going to have to pass these checkpoints as you ascend toward the top.

Foxx and Hornsby stand at 1.359 followed by Lou Gehrig at 1.419, Ted at 1.460 and topped off by the Babe.........who sits alone at the summit with a 1.506.

Since your numbers that will be required to reach the top of this list will probably continue to drop :sweat:, I guess just remembering who will always be ahead of you will just serve as a reminder of how great these guys were.

Stats are measures of history and are used and talked about by many people now and will be in the rest of time, too.

The only thing you can say if you don't like one or something, call MLB or whoever is the keeper of the said fact and discuss it with them.:thumbsup:

Facts are facts.

Bud don't listen. I've talked to him several times. I thought he and I were friends.

I'm glad he did it. This should be a time of celebration in baseball but too many people have rained on the parade before it ever got kicked off.

I know some people are going to attack me for saying that. But here is what I have to say . Give a mandatory drug test league wide. Every player has to take it whether active or not, DL or in the lineup. I believe the Smoaky board would be suprised when the results were posted. I would be willing some other top name ball players would be on the positive list.

He has never tested positive for any drug. Until he does I am going to enjoy what he has done and what he will do. There sure are a lot of negative and jealous people in this world. Steroids were first used for athletic purposes in 1954 when the Soviets dominsted the World Weightlifting Champoinships. The soviet team doctor administered Testosterone . Not to be outdone, the US team returned home and began utilizing pharmacutical enhancement to prepare for the next years competition. Anyone want to bet their life that Arron, Mays, Mantle, Jackson etc. were clean. We assume they were, and why? They were never tested. Bonds is tested every year and somehow we declare him guilty of cheating. As far as I am concerned Barry has passed the Babe and is an amazing baseball player. When 714 left the yard, unlike most of you here, I got to enjoy it.

Originally posted by coachw16

He has never tested positive for any drug.

He admitted to a grand jury that he has used the "cream" and the "clear". He also claimed he didn't know what he was being given was steroids....yeah right. He has never tested + for anything because he has always used undetectable steroids. However being naive is your right.

Anyone want to bet their life that Arron, Mays, Mantle, Jackson etc. were clean.

No, but I'll bet my farm against yours because I'm pretty sure they didn't have steroids back then.

I'm not sick of Bonds because of steroids. I'm sick of Bonds because I have always been a team oriented guy, and I have yet to see a highlight of a Giant besides Bonds this year. It seems like every day ESPN does a 15 minute report on him, and I'm just flat out tired of hearing his name.

Originally posted by LJLPOP10

I'm not sick of Bonds because of steroids. I'm sick of Bonds because I have always been a team oriented guy, and I have yet to see a highlight of a Giant besides Bonds this year. It seems like every day ESPN does a 15 minute report on him, and I'm just flat out tired of hearing his name.

blame espn, not bonds...he tells the cameras he gets tired of all the attention just being on him and they just dont listen to him

Do you not remember when Emmitt was about to break Payton's record? No one cared about the rest of the Cowboys, they only cared about Emmitt. Did you have a problem with that?

As far as those guys back in the day (Aaron, Mays, etc.) you can't assume any less of them than Bonds. They've all failed the same amount of drug tests. 0.

Barry Bonds might say he gets tired of the attention, but who is he kidding? He has always sought the limelight...why else would he have his own TV show on ESPN? :thumbdown:

Bonds in pinstripes would be a slap to the face of all the great home run moments of Ruth, Maris, Mantle, and Gehrig.:pirate:

I am always amazed at people who seem to always look for the negative. I am certainly not naive. But I do know there has been a feeding fenzy on something MLB and the fans have to be at least complicit. What do you consider high school athletes taking NO2 and Creatine? It is not simply to emulate the professionals it is a lack of clear direction and acountability for pushing the envelope to perform. I am going to enjoy Bonds for what he is and was, a spectacular hitter. I am all for testing, but he has not tested positive. Did he take steroids?- probably and he will live knowing that was part of his accomplishments. Does he have a prickly personality? You bet.

Enjoy and celebrate accomplishment.

I think it is unfair to baseball to cloud so great an accomplishment. Not all of the clouds are from Bonds, many are from people who don't want to see someone succeed.

Originally posted by Immortal13

No, but I'll bet my farm against yours because I'm pretty sure they didn't have steroids back then.

If you will read my entire post you will see that steroids were introduced to the American Athletes in 1954. They all had access to anabolic steroids. As far as me being naive, I am not sure that is an acurate statement. My point is that until we have a positive test there is not much that can be done about his accomplishments. Like it or not, we are in America where you are innocent until proven guilty, even if you are unpopular.

Originally posted by coachw16

....Like it or not, we are in America where you are innocent until proven guilty, even if you are unpopular.

That is only in reference to criminal proceedings. Any American can assume a person guilty if they want to. It's a free country. :thumbsup: