Evangel

orangepower

what are yalls opinions?

I know Evangel was a national powerhouse a couple of years back and they are playing Lufkin and SLC. Every time I read about them though I see people saying how much they have fallen off and how Lufkin and SLC will destroy them. IF they have fallen off that much do yall think some of our 3A Texas powers could put up a good game against them? I think that would be a heck of a game to see if Cuero, Gilmer, WOS, etc. were to play them. What do yall think?

Originally posted by orangepower

what are yalls opinions?

I know Evangel was a national powerhouse a couple of years back and they are playing Lufkin and SLC. Every time I read about them though I see people saying how much they have fallen off and how Lufkin and SLC will destroy them. IF they have fallen off that much do yall think some of our 3A Texas powers could put up a good game against them? I think that would be a heck of a game to see if Cuero, Gilmer, WOS, etc. were to play them. What do yall think?

They have dropped off to the point where they can't compete against the Texas top ranked 5A teams . . . but they would beat 98% of our 4A and 3A teams like a red headed stepchild! :w00t:

All of the above. The biggest reason for their demise has been key members of their coaching staff breaking up and leaving. Also, many parents of talented atheletes have been less likely to "move in" to their school. Five or six years ago they had "all-state" level talent lined up 3 or 4 deep at almost every position. They looked like a DIV 1A college team warming up. Times have changed but they are still awfully good.

Other than the Highland Parks and Texas Highs in 4A and a few other top 4A programs they would dominate our 3A-4A classification.

I'm not arguing or anything.. in fact I've never seen Evangel live. I just have a hard time believing there are very many teams that can put up the same talent as Gilmer's 1s. Ya I am biased too but hey it's a good time to be biased.

I saw Evangel two years ago when they destroyed Natchitoches Central. Now having said that they destroyed a LA 5A means nothing. They were quite small and did not have many numbers on the field. They got murdered by a team from Arkansas last year. Marshall, Highland Park, Ennis, and Texas High would easily beat them, imo. Also, with them having to play in 1A now, many parents that want their kids to play aren't going to move them there for fear of not having as much exposure. They aren't what the used to be and imo won't be ever again. SLC and Lufkin will get to put in their 2nd and 3rd squads a lot.

Originally posted by nsumusician

I saw Evangel two years ago when they destroyed Natchitoches Central. Now having said that they destroyed a LA 5A means nothing. They were quite small and did not have many numbers on the field. They got murdered by a team from Arkansas last year. Marshall, Highland Park, Ennis, and Texas High would easily beat them, imo. Also, with them having to play in 1A now, many parents that want their kids to play aren't going to move them there for fear of not having as much exposure. They aren't what the used to be and imo won't be ever again. SLC and Lufkin will get to put in their 2nd and 3rd squads a lot.

His point about classification is why Evangel has fallen off. In the past Evangel competed at the 5A level by choice with 1A enrollment numbers. A few years back LHSAA changed the rule to where you had to compete at the level your enrollment dictated. Evangel moved all the way down to 1A, and the exposure isn't nearly as good.

Originally posted by KirtFalcon

There is no way Gilmer could stay on the field with Evangel. Gilmer is good, but I believe that would be biting off a little more than they could chew. :whistle:

Now that's an absurd assumption, and I am no Gilmer or GJ fan either. Evangel has fallen way off, since the LA playoff classification rule took effect. Without the opportunity to play in the big boy division, the state's top players are not interested in Evangel. In other words, they can't recruit anymore. Even money says Gilmer could probably beat Evangel next year.

I realize that, moving down was not there choice as already stated, but they have do play the 1A teams, I'm sure they would still do fine, since for many years they dominated the higher classifications in Louisiana. I'm not a big fan of theirs either, but their success can't be denied.

I have seen Evangel two or three games every year for the past 8-10 years. I also saw Gilmer play Jasper in the championship game and I saw the Gilmer vs Canton game. If am no fan of Evangel either, but if you think our top ranked 3A schools could beat them . . you're dreaming in technicolor!

I do expect their program to decline even more since Dennis Dunn left, but right now I believe they would be on the level of our 4A top 10 ranked schools talent wise.

If you think Gilmer would be competitive at that level then you might have an argument. :whistle:

That shows Louisiana football is not up to Texas Football, Longview beat two state champions from Louisiana last year and Longview could not get past the first round, and yes their are some teams in lower classes that could beat evangel.

Originally posted by nsumusician

I usually don't go too far out on a limb here on s.com, but imo there is NO WAY that ECA could compete with the 4A top 10 teams.

They haven't dropped that far nsumusician. It wasn't that long ago that they were beating our best 5A teams. :whistle:

Teams can drop quickly. I'm not saying that the middle of the road 4A's would cream them, but I definately don't think that they (ECA) are in the same caliber of our top 4A teams. Teams can and do drop real quickly. Case in point, REL from 2004 to 2005. That was a major drop-off. As I have tried to do some research on this thread, I've only found where two ECA students are playing major ball next year. Maybe I just didn't see it, but I found were two guys are going to Arkansas and only one has a scholarship. There has been a huge drop-off and it'll only get bigger.