Dirk calling out Cuban!!!!

wildcatphs

Posted on Fri, Jun. 30, 2006

Dirk: Cuban needs to relax a bit By ART GARCIA

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

GRAPEVINE — Dirk Nowitzki called for “control” from Mark Cuban when dealing with NBA officials, adding the boorish behavior from the owner isn’t in the Mavericks’ best interests.

Nowitzki’s comments came 10 days after the Mavs fell to Miami in the NBA Finals, a series in which Cuban’s antics often became the focus and were generally recognized as a distraction within team circles.

“Do I think it’s a bit much sometimes? Yeah,” Nowitzki said Friday while visiting a Mavs summer camp at Grapevine High School.

“He’s got to learn how to control himself as well as the players do. We can’t lose our temper all the time on the court or off the court, and I think he’s got to learn that, too. He’s got to improve in that area and not yell at the officials the whole game.”

Nowitzki’s sentiments aren’t unique within the Mavs’ organization, though voicing such concerns publicly isn’t an avenue anyone had been willing to take previously.

It also isn’t a new line of thinking. Nowitzki, Michael Finley and Steve Nash privately approached Cuban about watching games from his suite high above the court instead of on the baseline.

“You guys know Mark,” Nowitzki said. “He loves it ... down there. We tried to get him up [in a suite] for a couple of games and he’s too fired up. He has to be in the mix. We love that about him too, but just every once in a while he needs to relax a little bit.”

During home games at American Airlines Center, Cuban is seated just a few steps from the bench. On the road, he finds a similar spot or is seated behind the bench.

Cuban often listens in during team huddles, and communicates with players and coaches. He’s also in position to voice his displeasure with officials during the course of the game.

“He sits right there over by our bench, too,” Nowitzki said. “Sometimes I think that’s a bit much, but we all told him this before. It’s not rocket science.

“The game starts and he’s already yelling at [the officials]. He needs to learn how to control himself a little better. If somebody’s in your ear constantly ... I’d be [ticked] off if I were an official.”

Cuban has had many run-ins with the league office during his six years as owner. He’s been fined at least $1.6 million and was hit with a $250,000 penalty for “several acts of misconduct” after the Game 5 overtime loss to the Heat in the Finals.

Cuban exchanged words with official Joe DeRosa on the court after the loss and used profanity during postgame interviews. He was also fined $200,000 during the second-round series against San Antonio for going on the court after Game 1 and for a blog entry critical of playoff officiating.

Cuban’s passion is both a blessing and a curse, Nowitzki said.

“We all know what Mark brings to the table,” Nowitzki said. “He’s the greatest owner to all of us. How he supports us and how he spends money around the team to get us to that level, we all love that about him.

“Obviously, we live with who his is. We love him that way, but do I think it’s good for us always? No.”

Though the Mavs’ franchise player generally keeps his opinions of the front office close to the vest, Nowitzki’s frustrations have come to the surface before. After a loss at Miami in March 2004, Nowitzki criticized Cuban and former coach Don Nelson for not being on the “same page” and for the negative impact their fractured relationship had on the team.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think cuban is basically as far as being the owner of any sports team to get enthusiastic with the fans and get involved with getting the fans cheering for there team. I like how Cuban gets involved like that and definitely 100% true rams yes he does needs to tone it down a bit.

Doesn't this pretty much add more firepower to the point that the NBA refs are more subjective than professional? Players are actually fearing reprisals from a guy that doesn't even take the court because he criticizes when they make a horrible call?

Why do most of the NBA and it's media just look the other way?

I gotta agree with Dirk on this one. Cuban is a distraction to the team when he is courtside.

Attention Dallas sports franchise owners: :dalcowboys: :dalmavs:

Sit down, shut up, and allow your coaches to coach the team.

Cuban didn't say anything before Stackhouse was suspended, so why would his silence help us in the least? How would it keep Ben Salvadore from making bad calls on plays 40 feet away when he has the worst position of the entire crew?

I "own" a set of ping irons....... I shouldn't ever throw them because they might get damaged and then they won't perform to my favor... However, I own them.. they are mine. If I choose to damage them when I'm angry then I must also be prepared to accept the fact that they may be damaged and not perform right. Just don't forget the fact that I "own" them though. If you want to see them handled differently, buy the Ping Irons from me and you can treat them however you want.....

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...