Junior High Talent

Is there any kids from any schools that will have a chance to play varsity next year or is a big star right now, I know Canton will have more than a couple starting on varsity next year. They have kids with skill but are also very smart and are very big. There isn't a kid on their frontline that weighs under 200 pounds and some of the skill players are in the 160s and 170s.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Junior High kids that are going in to High School need at least one year of Freshman play before the take it to the Varsity level. From 8th grade play to Varsity play is a major transition. There are maybe only 1-2 kids from every 4 schools who may be capable of playing Varsity directly from junior high.

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by GWtrackster

I think Junior High kids that are going in to High School need at least one year of Freshman play before the take it to the Varsity level. From 8th grade play to Varsity play is a major transition. There are maybe only 1-2 kids from every 4 schools who may be capable of playing Varsity directly from junior high.

Van had 4 of them do it in the last 3 years.....3 of them starting with the 4th getting significant playing time

Jermie Calhoun

Emanual Hayes

Blake Pennington

Zach Harrison

It depends on the school. I have seen girls and boys playing on some varsity teams that had very little or no fundamental skills at all. If the kid has been playing against the best kids in the nation when they were in Jr. High, then varsity school ball will be an easy adjustment. If you are talking about someone who only plays school ball and then trying to play varsity I will agree that it would be a little tougher. Here is a little secret for some of you guys wanting to play varsity ball, WORK ON YOUR BALL-HANDLING!!! I will take an average athlete with skills over a great athlete without skills anyday!

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by tortuga13

It depends on the school. I have seen girls and boys playing on some varsity teams that had very little or no fundamental skills at all. If the kid has been playing against the best kids in the nation when they were in Jr. High, then varsity school ball will be an easy adjustment. If you are talking about someone who only plays school ball and then trying to play varsity I will agree that it would be a little tougher. Here is a little secret for some of you guys wanting to play varsity ball, WORK ON YOUR BALL-HANDLING!!! I will take an average athlete with skills over a great athlete without skills anyday!

duh!! wouldn't anybody. that's why in junior high a lot of team are only good cuz they can run faster than other teams and they just get layups all day. but in high school you have to actually be a good BASKETBALL player.

• 5 months later...

I have heard of this Dillon Cantrell you speak of. He is from Whitehouse, trains at APEC with Bobby Stroupe and plays for the Titans select team. I saw him run a reverse in for a 50+ yard touchdown and he looked like a player to me. I know that he is fast, that is for sure. How do you know him? Teammate? Relative?

most of the kids on that T-High 7th grade team are huge.

Texas High will be loaded size wise for years. They have good size in there 7th-12th grades. I will get a look at what more is in the pipeline this year when I watch a couple of the Texarkana League Football games. I believe the age groups run from around 6 years of age to 13 years of age. I know from last years there were a good many big players in the league in the 11-13 group. More than 50% of these player are in the TISD School District. Therefore Texas High should have good size and talent for years to come.

Is there any kids from any schools that will have a chance to play varsity next year or is a big star right now, I know Canton will have more than a couple starting on varsity next year. They have kids with skill but are also very smart and are very big. There isn't a kid on their frontline that weighs under 200 pounds and some of the skill players are in the 160s and 170s.
WHO????????

Texas High will be loaded size wise for years. They have good size in there 7th-12th grades. I will get a look at what more is in the pipeline this year when I watch a couple of the Texarkana League Football games. I believe the age groups run from around 6 years of age to 13 years of age. I know from last years there were a good many big players in the league in the 11-13 group. More than 50% of these player are in the TISD School District. Therefore Texas High should have good size and talent for years to come.

You seem to put alot of your thought about how good Texas High football will be in the future into how big the youth/junior high kids are. Well let me just say that I dont think that has a damn thing to do with the price of eggs in China. We have some smallish kids in the youth leagues here in Tyler, but somehow I think we'll be okay. In reference to your logic I will quote Ricky Bobby: "That idea aint worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin it on."

Van had 4 of them do it in the last 3 years.....3 of them starting with the 4th getting significant playing time

Jermie Calhoun

Emanual Hayes

Blake Pennington

Zach Harrison

Maybe they did but none of those kids are good at all, who is that Calhoun kid anyway?

I think it depends on the kid and the level of competition. B. Roberts from Van could have played anywhere as a frosh. The kid from Bullard that ran point for them last year could suit up for most 3a teams around. When I was in school Brownsboro had 4 freshmen on their Varisty b-ball team. I think three started!?! Football is sometimes different because of the physical development needed to compete, but every so often you find a Peterson, or Calhoun, etc...

• 2 weeks later...
You seem to put alot of your thought about how good Texas High football will be in the future into how big the youth/junior high kids are. Well let me just say that I dont think that has a damn thing to do with the price of eggs in China. We have some smallish kids in the youth leagues here in Tyler, but somehow I think we'll be okay. In reference to your logic I will quote Ricky Bobby: "That idea aint worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin it on."

Why the hostility man! Chill!!! It's just my opinion. I feel that Texas High will be good for some time because I’ve seen what’s in the pipe. Also, it is not based on size alone. I've seen the kids in that league play. They have a lot of talent, a whole lot of speed and size on top of that. Therefore, I guess we can wait and see if I'm right or not. I think I am. I did not say they would be world beaters, however, they will be good and tough and will contend. I referenced size only because someone posted that Texas Middle School's 7th grade was huge, I was only commenting in regards to the other person's post.

Why are you so self conscious? Could it be that not only can't you read you must have a small brain as well. Also, you must have a small size complex due to a general lacking of all around size! Another thing, I do not plan on buying eggs from China and if that was the only place I could get them, I would quit eating eggs. However, I assume you would keep sucking them anyway...you small pea brain squirt! Why don’t all you midgets find something to stand on so you all can be counted when and where it counts! Like on the scoreboard after the game! Perhaps enough of you can stand on each other’s shoulders and be tall enough to see the scoreboard! Hey, didn't I see you guys/team of midgets on the Wizard of Oz? I believe you all sang a couple of songs, I believe one was "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" and the other was "Follow the Yellow Brick Road".

Why the hostility man! Chill!!! It's just my opinion. I fell that Texas High will be good for some time because I’ve seen what’s in the pipe. Also, it is not based on size alone. I've seen the kids in that league play. They have a lot of talent, a whole lot of speed and size on top of that. Therefore, I guess we can wait and see if I'm right or not. I think I am. I did not say they would be world beaters, however, they will be good and tough and will contend. I referenced size only because someone posted that Texas Middle School's 7th grade was huge, I was only commenting in regards to the other person's post.

Why are you so self conscious? Could it be that not only can't you read you must have a small brain as well. Also, you must have a small size complex due to a general lacking of all around size! Another thing, I do not plan on buying eggs from China and if that was the only place I could get them, I would quit eating eggs. However, I assume you would keep sucking them anyway...you small pea brain squirt! Why don’t all you midgets find something to stand on so you all can be counted when and where it counts! Like on the scoreboard after the game! Perhaps enough of you can stand on each other’s shoulders and be tall enough to see the scoreboard! Hey, didn't I see you guys/team of midgets on the Wizard of Oz? I believe you all sang a couple of songs, I believe one was "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" and the other was "Follow the Yellow Brick Road".

Well, your the one being an idiot. He never said anything negative or insulting about you and you open a tirade on him. You my friend show no class whatsoever. Reread his post and you wont find an insult to Texas High or yourself.

Why the hostility man! Chill!!! It's just my opinion. I fell that Texas High will be good for some time because I’ve seen what’s in the pipe. Also, it is not based on size alone. I've seen the kids in that league play. They have a lot of talent, a whole lot of speed and size on top of that. Therefore, I guess we can wait and see if I'm right or not. I think I am. I did not say they would be world beaters, however, they will be good and tough and will contend. I referenced size only because someone posted that Texas Middle School's 7th grade was huge, I was only commenting in regards to the other person's post.

RedCreek,

Let me tell you something- you Texarkana guys are really the picture of immaturity. I was completely joking with my "price of eggs in China" expression and my Ricky Bobby quote and I thought that would be obvious... evidently I was wrong. Now I am going to tell you what I really think so you will know I am not backing down from your internet tough guy act. I really do think that it was dumb for you to say that Texas High has a bright future because they have some good looking kids coming down the pipe and then all you mentioned to back that up was how big they were. Well whoop-ti-f***in-doo. I can say this- Texas High has had many good looking kids the past 2 years and it hasnt helped them to win any games when it counted. Mallet was a 6-7 giant and he couldnt lead your THS boys to a state championship... they couldnt even beat Cove who they were supposed to handle easily. I didnt even read all of your comments but I think it is funny you flamed on me for that. Assuming you are an adult, you have a LONG way to go. In the mean time, keep bringing your "big" Texarkana kids to Tyler and getting rolled by these "Little" Tyler Texas boys. Buster.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, your the one being an idiot. He never said anything negative or insulting about you and you open a tirade on him. You my friend show no class whatsoever. Reread his post and you wont find an insult to Texas High or yourself.

Well...have you ever thought I was just having a little fun with it myself? Come on, Tyler, Texas and small players do not go together very well. I find that rather ironic due to the fact that the biggest teams I've ever seen in my life have come from Tyler! A few years ago, a Texarkana youth football team played the Tyler All-Stars in Marshall, TX. on a Sunday afternoon. The age group was 11 to 13. Texarkana only had 1, 11 years old and Tyler had 0. Most all the players on both teams were 13. Tyler had at least 8 players over 6' tall and probably as many WELL over 200#. I not sure but a lot of people would call that big! Texarkana had a few big players as well but not nearly as big as Tyler. The Tyler team had not been beaten in over 2 years. Well they got beat that day 12 to 6 so I understand that size is not everything as well as anyone. Also, it I can I will see if I can insert a pitcher in hear so you can see for yourself the giants I'm talking about. When the captains of both teams met at mid field our players came up to about your player’s chest, maybe one almost reached one's chin but I'm not sure!

Now, to get back to what you were saying about the guy not insulting me....well, let see! This person used profanity, "damn" brought up communists, "China", referred to my logic as lacking "In reference to your logic I will quote Ricky Bobby: "That idea aint worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin it on." All this in a subject between two individuals that was simply agreeing with one another abut the size of some kids. It had no reference regarding teams not being good because of size and it had nothing to do in any way with Tyler, Texas our any team near there. Sounds like someone trying to pick to me and I was just having a little fun too.

But no, I have to be confronted by the RED menace! Some type of communist economic theorist who is obviously upset and on a rant that the emerging Chinese peasantry's buying power is being threatened by the supposedly outrageous price of eggs in China. Like that is AMERICA's FAULT or TEXARKANA's because we have big people. What, Texarkanians are eating all the eggs in the world and driving up there cost?! I say the hell with China, let them fall before they are able to take us on perhaps in Midget Football. I don't know about you Strawberry, but I'm an American and I love America. I'm not going to let any communist bad mouth America and that goes for communist sympathizers like you!

Remember this, God Bless America cause the flag still stands for freedom and you and the Chinese can't take that away!

And I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free.

And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

And I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.

'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God Bless the USA.

Yes, I even love the little people too! So y'all don't wear your feelings on your sleeves, judging from your size, they would probably be short sleeves anyway!

Take that Commie!

Well...have you ever thought I was just having a little fun with it myself? Come on, Tyler, Texas and small players do not go together very well. I find that rather ironic due to the fact that the biggest teams I've ever seen in my life have come from Tyler! A few years ago, a Texarkana youth football team played the Tyler All-Stars in Marshall, TX. on a Sunday afternoon. The age group was 11 to 13. Texarkana only had 1, 11 years old and Tyler had 0. Most all the players on both teams were 13. Tyler had at least 8 players over 6' tall and probably as many WELL over 200#. I not sure but a lot of people would call that big! Texarkana had a few big players as well but not nearly as big as Tyler. The Tyler team had not been beaten in over 2 years. Well they got beat that day 12 to 6 so I understand that size is not everything as well as anyone. Also, it I can I will see if I can insert a pitcher in hear so you can see for yourself the giants I'm talking about. When the captains of both teams met at mid field our players came up to about your player’s chest, maybe one almost reached one's chin but I'm not sure!

Now, to get back to what you were saying about the guy not insulting me....well, let see! This person used profanity, "damn" brought up communists, "China", referred to my logic as lacking "In reference to your logic I will quote Ricky Bobby: "That idea aint worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin it on." All this in a subject between two individuals that was simply agreeing with one another abut the size of some kids. It had no reference regarding teams not being good because of size and it had nothing to do in any way with Tyler, Texas our any team near there. Sounds like someone trying to pick to me and I was just having a little fun too.

But no, I have to be confronted by the RED menace! Some type of communist economic theorist who is obviously upset and on a rant that the emerging Chinese peasantry's buying power is being threatened by the supposedly outrageous price of eggs in China. Like that is AMERICA's FAULT or TEXARKANA's because we have big people. What, Texarkanians are eating all the eggs in the world and driving up there cost?! I say the hell with China, let them fall before they are able to take us on perhaps in Midget Football. I don't know about you Strawberry, but I'm an American and I love America. I'm not going to let any communist bad mouth America and that goes for communist sympathizers like you!

Remember this, God Bless America cause the flag still stands for freedom and you and the Chinese can't take that away!

And I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free.

And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

And I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.

'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God Bless the USA.

Yes, I even love the little people too! So y'all don't wear your feelings on your sleeves, judging from your size, they would probably be short sleeves anyway!

Take that Commie!

Ha-ha, Lighten up Francis! You act like your 12. :crybaby: :crybaby:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I know of a 9th grade player from PG who is playing backup tailback for the varsity. According to the paper the other day, he is averaging around 5 yards per carry. Last week he was the special teams player of the week, forced one fumble, had two tackles on defense and was the leading rusher. Also, he had one run for 72 yards

• 3 months later...