"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dies in accident

Aggie2008

CNN is reporting that famous crocodile hunter and TV figure Steve Irwin was killed in a 'marine accident' earlier today. They do not have any more details at this time.

Irwin was know for his reckless pursuit of dangerous outback creatures, his dry wit, and his unmistakeable Austrailian accent. He is survived by his wife, 8 year-old daughter and 3 year-old son.

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, Australian media said. He was 44.

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of Brisbane.

A helicopter carrying paramedics flew to the island, but he died from a stingray barb to the heart, ABC reported on its Web site.

Telephone calls to Australia Zoo, Irwin's zoo in southern Queensland, were not immediately answered.

Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at his Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his 1-year-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.

He had such enthusiasm, love for his work,love for the animals he worked with and a love for life in general. I always enjoyed his "such a beautiful creature" phrase. RIP Steve and prayers for you and your family.

I would love it when he praised a snake even after the snake would strike at him..Just showed he understood the snake was just reacting to percieved danger

Yes this is a shock, but really it is not. More shocked at HOW he died..but honestly did anyone see him living till 80 and dying of old age?

His profession and his enthusiasm and willingness to get right into the action was a time bomb waiting to happen. Sadly his odds went bad this time

But does anybody agree with me that this guy was the most genuine on T.V.? I got the feeling that he would have done everything for free just cause he was so passionette about his work. I will miss that the most.

Wow that's crazy, now I quess we all know, that those words of "Danger Danger" were for real, I quess you fool with the wild long enough, it will bite you. I quess he went out, doing what he loved, condolances to his family and friends. Another sad thing I bet It all was captured on video!

I remember the first time my (then) young daughters & saw Steve Irwin on television...many years ago...it was the "10 Most Deadly Snakes in the World" episode...we named him then & still refer to him as "Crazy Steve" for the way he handled those deadly snakes...and then later saw him do the same with crocodiles...WOW!

Tigger, I agree with you completely! If we all had the same passion for our work as he did his...man oh' man would we be a better world!

R.I.P. "Crazy Steve" Katie, Kelly & I are going to miss you!

Originally posted by TxEaglecaller

Yes this is a shock, but really it is not. More shocked at HOW he died..but honestly did anyone see him living till 80 and dying of old age?

Actually yeah I did......after watching him for so many years, in such dangerous situations, I just said to myself one day, "Man, this dude is just not meant to die this way!".......I seriously thought he would die an old man, but oh well, the Lord said he has done enough here, we all just need to remember him and the message he carried with him about conservation and the preservation of our natural resources and fauna.......God bless his soul and be with his family.....I truly am shocked and quite sad that this happened to such a good man in his prime......