Way to go Tigers....

RAMbone

Yes, thanks it so good to not have to hear all the bull about best hitting team ever. DON'T THINK SO. Maybe they need to get George to spend another 100 million to see if that's enough to buy a championship these days.

Continue to have fun not having your team in October, though.

It's a shame, though. The Rangers, like every other team in baseball, receive millions from the Yankees via the luxury tax each season. It's morons like Tom Hicks, etc., who decide to pocket that money rather than go out and get players. Every team in baseball benefits from the Yankees spending money (which they have, why not get talent?). Jealousy stretches a little too far sometimes.

Regardless of the Yankees' exit out of the playoffs, that is the most potent lineup in a long time, perhaps history. Argue all you want, but when there is a lineup with two sure-fire Hall of Famers (Jeter and Rodriguez), among other possibilities ... it's hard to discredit that. Humans can't be perfect. Some are just better than others at certain times.

Show me ONE team in baseball that wouldn't want either Johnny Damon, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffield, Jorge Posada, Robinson Cano, Hideki Matsui or Bobby Abreu on their team.

Here's to 26 World Series titles while others can only dream of such success. :lol:

I'm normally not so pompous, but this stuff just gets old. Spend more time being faithful with your team instead of showing jealousy and hostility with others.

Well, since you obviously didn't get my point, let me break it down a little better for ya'.

By everything I've read on this site, you are a Rangers fan. Also, by everything I've read on this site, you don't think too highly of the Yankees.

You bash the Yankees ... I draw comparisons with the Rangers, since Texas is the almighty, apparently. You and RAMBone continously harp on the Yankees exiting the playoffs or choking, yada yada yada, but never address the fact when your own team is brought up. Amazing, huh?

I can't spell it out much better than that.

You were trying to make a point I missed that part.

You come on here at start of the season saying this is the greatest hitting team in history yaba daba doo, what did that get them for the 2nd season in a row, put out in the first round.

I know that Rangers didn't make it that far, but I didn't have that high of expectations for them as you had for the Stankees.

If you can't stand some of the heat stay out of the kitchen.

Originally posted by MantleLives4Ever

Spend more time being faithful with your team instead of showing jealousy and hostility with others.

Jealous of getting punked out in the first round 5 out of the last 6 years?

It's sad that a team with a payroll of $200 million can't make it past the Tigers.

The Yankees are chokers and A-Rod is their king.

Favorite team is the Braves ... now that's not a choking team if I've never seen one. Easily the most overrated team in baseball over the past 15-20 seasons.

And ramsn03, if you look at the runs the Yankees scored this season, I'd say they were a pretty good hitting team. They didn't get it done when it mattered (regardless of their payroll, Immortal13), and I'll be the first to admit that. I just think it's quite sad that people spend the majority of their time ragging on the Yankees when their own teams can't measure up to anything better than third or fourth place.

Also, Immortal13, tell me how bad choking is with 39 pennants. Whatever team you pull for (probably the Rangers, I would assume ... since you're from Bullard), they get all kinds of money from that Yankees payroll (which they have the money, why not spend it?), but that wonderful owner in Arlington does nothing with it except sit on it.

And RAMbone, I partly see where you're coming from with the minors, but that's also where Derek Jeter, Melky Cabrera and a few others came from. Free agency is a part of the game. There's no right or wrong way to do it.

I would just think that a team that as done so much for baseball (and helped mold it into the game you all love so much), and as historical as the Yankees, would get a little more respect.

Mantle, I don't care about the Yankees, their money or their 39 pennants. I'm sure you can remember very few of those pennants anyway. What I said was that they have choked BIG TIME in the last 6 years with the best team money can by. You love to advertise your love for the Yankees, but you can't handle the criticism which they very much deserve right now....especially considering the area in which you live. I'm sure most people around here consider your article in today's sports page the biggest waste of print space they've ever seen.

I handle more criticism about the Yankees than anyone could ever dream about. Come on now, I've dealt with this my entire life, from within my family, my friends, my workplace and beyond.

But does that mean I still can't provide an opinion? It doesn't really matter, because I'm going to. It matters none to me about where I live.

And at least I know you looked at my column. It's been the biggest story in America right now, even bigger than T.O. back in Philly after the Yankees lost, so why not write about it? I could care less whether or not you read it, because you have no appreciation for such things, but I'm sure one or two did. It doesn't matter to me. I also wrote about more than the Yankees, too, even though that was the main point.

But, we should all just be like you. Let's all just throw out random blanket statements of criticism with no justification and portray the ignorance of a casual baseball (and primarily Texas) fan.

I have never said anything about the Rangers being my favorite team. they just happen to be from Texas and that is why I pull for them. They have finally done what they needed to do for me to like them much more. My favorite team is the Braves if you must know. They didn't make the playoffs for the first time in 16 years. they raise ballplayers the way you are supposed to. If the Yanks HAD to depend on their farm system and not the players of free agency and big contracts, they would absolutely ####.

I agree Mantle. Run your team and organization the way you want and let King George run his and see who comes out on top.

My favorite example of why baseball is the greatest game is the 1960 Yankees who lost to the Pirates in the World Series in ninth inning of game 7 on a home run (I guess you might have read about it at some point in your life) by a second baseman.

The Pirates were pounded by scores of 16-3, 10-0 and 12-0 in losing their three games when the Series went to game 7. They had been outscored 45-18 and yet still won three games forcing a game 7.

They played like warriors in game 7 jumping out to a 4-1 lead after 5 only to see the Yanks score 4 in the sixth to retake the lead. The Yankees scored 2 runs in the top of the ninth to tie the game and the drama was really building in the Steel Town.

With the scored tied going into the bottom of the ninth of game 7 in a World Series, something that all little kids have replayed in the sandlot many times............And we are in the bottom of the ninth in the seventh game of the World Series and I am coming to bat.

Well, you know how that ended and a giant blow was struck that day for the little guy facing the giant.

It has been and will remain, a constant throughout the ages...........Baseball, Ray.......baseball !!

Originally posted by Immortal13

I'm sure most people around here consider your article in today's sports page the biggest waste of print space they've ever seen.

Yes, HOW DARE Mantle write an article about something other than holier-than-thou ETX HS football and/or the precious Dallas Cowboys ... :wacko:

Speak for yourself, Immortal13 ... I am no Yankees fan, but there was absolutely NOTHING "wasteful" about his article.

... and by the way: the award for the "biggest waste of print space" (for any regional paper) goes to Dallas Cowboys training camp coverage in the middle of Baseball season !! :w00t:

Originally posted by cheaptrick77

Yes, HOW DARE Mantle write an article about something other than holier-than-thou ETX HS football and/or the precious Dallas Cowboys ... :wacko:

Well ... the final part of it was about the Cowboys-Eagles game, but the jist of it was the Torre situation. :lol:

Let's see if I can cover all of the "sidetracks" in this topic ........

(1) way to go Tigers and Pudge Rodriguez. I hope that you get your 2nd WS ring, since leaving the Rangers before retirement.

(2) Good pitching beats good hitting most of the time ... IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!! Whether it's the Baltimore Orioles beating the invincible Dodgers way back when, or the Yankees' run the last few years without Clemens and Pettitte. The Yankees have a big hole in their "overall" team strength ... the pitching.

(3) shoelessjoelives ... MAN, HOW DARE YOU BRING UP THE 1960's WS. I was a teenager and was watching that game at the Texas State Fair in Dallas at a hamburger joint. I've been a Yankee fan since 57-58, and was crushed with that Mazeroski home run. What a bummer!!!! And yeah, the Yankees 10-runned the Pirates in their 3 wins, and the Pirates won something like all 1 or 2-run wins in their 4 wins. Rediculous with the total runs scored vs the most wins.

(4) As for slamming sportswriters on their articles, I seem to remember reading quite a few posters slamming him on writing a great article on Bullard athletics/athletes a few months ago. I guess it's all how you look at it. Although I'm a hurting Yankee fan, I'm still looking forward to reading your article, ML4E.

200 MILLION $$$$$ ...... that is a lot of money, no matter which rich person you are ... or small country.

Don't forget ... that doesn't include the "excess" tax/fee that Steinbrenner has to pay to MLB. I wonder how much that is?

Originally posted by MantleLives4Ever

But, we should all just be like you. Let's all just throw out random blanket statements of criticism with no justification and portray the ignorance of a casual baseball (and primarily Texas) fan.

Oh I think there's plenty of justification for the criticism the Yankees are getting. And of course you are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else on this board. Where I have a problem is that whenever someone criticizes the Yankees, you go on a tirade about the Rangers, Tom Hicks or some other unrelated "random" subject. And my comment about your article was also just my opinion. I did not say it was poorly written or lacked any literary merit. I simply stated that I doubt few who read the TMT care to read about the Yankees. I could be wrong....perhaps millions of East Texans were riveted by your article. Who knows?

If I mention another team, why isn't that just saying that the door can often swing both ways. I don't go out of my way to criticize a certain team, but if the team I follow is, sure I'll offer criticism of other teams. It just so happens that the Rangers are primarily the most-followed team among members on this board, so I often use them as an example. It's everyone who thoroughly enjoys harping on and ripping the Yankees every little opportunity they get. It gets kind of old.

Also, the column was written because that was the biggest story at the time. It was all over TV, talk radio, in other media outlets and beyond. It's a situation I familiarize myself with and had an opinion, so I printed it. I don't have a running number of people who read it, but I'm sure three or four did. You don't have to be a fan of something to read about it. Plenty of people read the paper cover to cover every day, regardless of what their tastes are. And I highly doubt anyone is "riveted" by anything I write. :lol: