Region 3 Division 1 Playoff Predictions!!

wildcatphs

Barring multiple very large upsets most of the Region III Division I playoff bracket is becoming pretty clear

District 17

Gatesville is the odds on favorite as they are the largest team in the district, are 5-1 overall, 1-0 in district play in the 6-team district. They would have to lose at least 2 out of their last 4 games to miss the playoffs, in which case Robinson would most likely be the Division I Rep. There are statistical possibilities that Waco Connally or La Vega could end up Division I but neither seems very likely given how the district is shaping up so far.

District 18

Hutto is 5-1, 1-0 in this 5-team district and will most likely be the Division I rep unless Taylor manages to upset one of the three playoff favorites (Liberty Hill, Hutto, and Cameron Yoe) and make the playoffs themselves, in which case Taylor would go Division I.

District 19

Palestine is 5-1, 1-0 and the largest school in the 6-team district. They would have to have a complete meltdown over their remaining 4 games (2 of which are against 1-5 teams) to miss the playoffs.

District 20

Carthage is 6-0, 1-0 and also the largest school in a 6-team district. Like Palestine, they would need to fall apart to miss the playoffs although 3 of their 4 remaining games are against solid teams (Diboll, Crockett and Rusk).

District 21

Silsbee is 5-1, 3-0 and the largest school in this 8-team district. They have already beaten two of the legitimate playoff contenders in Orangefield and Bridge City so they have a definite inside track for a playoff spot.

District 22

Splendora wouldn't seem like a playoff favorite looking at their 2-4 overall record but it's all relative. Sadly only one out of the six teams in this district has won more than 2 games this year. Splendora is the largest school in the 6 team district and is 1-0 in the district standings after blowing out Cleveland by 32 points. They should be favored to win over Tarkington and Shepherd to make the playoffs.

District 23

Bellville is 5-1, 1-0 and will go Division I if things continue like they have been going, with Giddings presumed to get a playoff spot and either La Grange or Caldwell taking the other spot. The next most likely scenario would be if both La Grange and Caldwell were to beat Bellville and both qualify for the playoffs. In that case, Giddings would go Division I which would possibly put 4 of the top 10 teams in the state in one tiny regional bracket.

District 24

West Columbia or Needville? or Sealy?? This is probably the most unpredictable of any of the Region III districts. Out of the 8 teams in the district, Columbus, Brookshire Royal and Stafford most likely can be counted out barring a huge turnaround. The remaining 5 include Wharton and Sweeny, both of whom are 3-0 in district play and have the greatest likelihood of nabbing playoff spots. The 3rd spot will be a battle between West Columbia, Sealy and Needville and since all three of those schools are larger than both Wharton and Sweeny, whichever one of the three that makes the playoffs will be going Division I with Columbia being the largest, Needville #2 and Sealy #3.

A first round matchup between Carthage and Palestine is looking very likely

Yeah, it kinda #### that 2 teams (who will both likely be in the AP Top 10 at the end of the year will have to play in the 1st round, but thats how it goes in D1. I for one, am all for going back to 1 state champ in each class and doing away with the division thing.

What a murderers' row region! D1 and D2 in this region are unbelievable. There will be some good teams going out really early in this region. If the state champ in D1 or D2 comes out of this region, you couldn't argue the accomplishment.

I think the D2 champ could easily be West Orange Stark. I still think Gilmer will be the D1 champ, but their toughest competition might be Hutto or Carthage.