East Texas vs Texas

Homerun

Concerning football I think East Texas is where it's at. A ton of athletes coming from a not so large pool to choose from. We don't have the large selection of 5A schools but rather a large selection of mostly 2A and 3A. Friday Night Lights is alive and well in East Texas. I am mostly a baseball fan but I am VERY impressed with the football talent in East Texas. I recently moved from the Greater Houston area so I can say this.

Talent level with the rest of the state? By far ET is right on par if not above most of the state.

We might not have as big of a pool to get our players from but we still seem to make an impact almost every year in the playoffs.

I've been told by opposing fans in the past that if you are going to call West Texas the Little Southwest Conference...that you would have to call East Texas the Little SEC, which I by far agree with.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen East Texas fans come out and support other East Texas teams just for the sake that we are East Texas. No doubt, I'll be supporting any East Texas teams in the playoffs.

Let us not forget...

The 2006 Texas class signed 375 D1 football players, statewide.

Here's the break down from Texas Football by classification:

5A - 235

4A - 83

3A - 34

2A - 12

1A - 1

Private - 10

Quantify how many ETx 5-1A schools there are in actuality. Then take a look at 3-1A and assume the vast majority are from this class range. As you might guess, while ETx has great talent, the talent going D1 is mainly outside of the area. Not all D1 talent pans out no matte the population base of the area targeted but the most populated areas get the first looks. Just the way it works out.

That's all fine and dandy, PPR, but you fail to take into consideration percentages.

San Antonio and Houston have 20+ 5A schools with 3000+ kids each. There's only 235 5A players signing D1, well how many from ET have been signed lately? And think about how few 5A schools are here (Lufkin, John Tyler, Longview, Lee) with kids signing D1 every year. That also doesn't account for the hundreds of other kids who sign with any other level of university; and honestly all of the talent doesn't go D1. These days if you aren't 7 feet tall you aren't even looked at, regardless of skill. And I know for a fact a gigantic number of ET players go to lower level colleges and play. I bet if there was some way to do the math, ET would be about even with anywhere else in the number of D1 recruits produced.

And it's not about going to the next level, it's about competing in high school on a statewide level. I'd say ET is just as talented as anywhere else in Texas, especially with the resources and number of kids to pull from.

Guest TtownEagle803

East Texas is stacked with talented football players, but the whole state of Texas is too. I think East Texas is the most concentrated on by scouts.

Everyone in the U.S. knows that Texas high schools eat, sleep, and breath football. However you think it right or wrong, it is a simple fact. Breaking down the religion of football is sacrilegious for most but compitition is what it is all about. In the entire state, I would have to rank East Texas above the rest of the state. It is just that way!!!! Sorry!!!!!:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

East Texas seems to be the best because the small east Texas town with limited entertainment has nothing else to do on Friday night. The small towns are so close together that the rivalries a more intense. Thus the illusion of better players but I think it is all the same all over the state with the exception of far south Texas.

I know that a lot of colleges look at Houston and Dallas. But look at Tatum or Gilmer. These 2A and 3A school are putting out multiple DI players!

And last week, the UT Defense had 3 starters from one school, John Tyler. That's unheard of. And think how many players at UT are from East Texas.

I think if you went per capita, East Texas would be hard to beat.

Originally posted by 101%

East Texas seems to be the best because the small east Texas town with limited entertainment has nothing else to do on Friday night. The small towns are so close together that the rivalries a more intense. Thus the illusion of better players but I think it is all the same all over the state with the exception of far south Texas.

I agree 101%.

Everyone needs to read this post again to gain a little objectivity.

Originally posted by Middle

That's all fine and dandy, PPR, but you fail to take into consideration percentages.

San Antonio and Houston have 20+ 5A schools with 3000+ kids each. There's only 235 5A players signing D1, well how many from ET have been signed lately? And think about how few 5A schools are here (Lufkin, John Tyler, Longview, Lee) with kids signing D1 every year. That also doesn't account for the hundreds of other kids who sign with any other level of university; and honestly all of the talent doesn't go D1. These days if you aren't 7 feet tall you aren't even looked at, regardless of skill. And I know for a fact a gigantic number of ET players go to lower level colleges and play. I bet if there was some way to do the math, ET would be about even with anywhere else in the number of D1 recruits produced.

And it's not about going to the next level, it's about competing in high school on a statewide level. I'd say ET is just as talented as anywhere else in Texas, especially with the resources and number of kids to pull from.

All fine and dandy?? You were offended?? First, nowhere in my remedial stats did I mention an opinion one way or another if ET stacked up against the rest of the state. Why would I...we all know how all we feel about ET football! Second, if you want to rebute the statistics based upon Classification turnout, do it factually, not based upon a theory. Look up the commit list and provide us all with the percentages you are stating must exist.

All fine and dandy?? You were offended?? First, nowhere in my remedial stats did I mention an opinion one way or another if ET stacked up against the rest of the state. Why would I...we all know how all we feel about ET football! Second, if you want to rebute the statistics based upon Classification turnout, do it factually, not based upon a theory. Look up the commit list and provide us all with the percentages you are stating must exist.

Offended? lol, where did you get that?

I don't have the time nor the desire to compile numbers; it's not that important. I was simply stating that the numbers were misleading, nothing was directed towards you personally. Don't get offended or anything .. :D

heres the guys from my school currently playing D1.... Keenan Clayton (Oklahoma), Jonathan Lindley(SMU), Jose Vargas(Iowa State), Johan Givens (UTEP)...thats just division 1... we currently have 4 D1's, 11 D2's, 3 D3's and one JUCO....thats just one school....so imagine all the other schools combined....ET football is definately the best

Oh lord no, not offended at all - for me I just think the argument is arbitrary and hard to quantify. How far do you go back in years? Is it just because we are seeing recent success in some high-profile teams in ET (inflicked mainly by ET fans)? For me, a grad of Gilmer in '89 I can attest that prior to 2003, Gilmer had less than 10 D1 kids all total...back to the beginning of the program! After 2003 we are seeing some kids go D1 and that is great. But there is a misnomer if you will that Gilmer and even Tatum (mentioned above) dictates much of the ET D1 turnout year after year. It's relative, and simply does not occur historically speaking. Next year it may be Pittsburg or Gladewater...you just never know. Cyclical is a good term.

I think you are right on about exposure. 10-15 years ago the only way to see a kid was to go see the kid - video, while it certainly existed did not travel via a phone line. Had to get it the hard way and had to know who your target was most likely by word of mouth then seeing the kid in person. No substitute for that type of recruiting anyway.

The existance of 5-A schools does not mean that is where the talent is. It simply means they have a high POPULATION. I have seen 2,3, & 4-A clubs that have players that could easily compete on a 5-A ball team. It is only hopeful that with a large population you will find a higher number of talented athletes. It does not mean they are always there. More scouts are sent to areas of higher population to make it easier for them to cover their assigned region. Again, it is not based on all 5-A teams are nothing but talent. You have to give the smaller schools the credit they deserve for producing good Athletes.

High School Football Fan!!!!:zorro: