Mineola at Sabine

Bclove05

Haven't seen Mineola play, but I was really impressed with Sabine when they played Gilmer. They were obviously outmanned from a talent standpoint. But they played really good, never got their heads down, and never gave up. I also thought they tackled pretty well. Wrapped up and held on. I hope Sabine wins, b/c they seem a scrappy bunch.

Their record does not indicate it, but who knows? The kids first need to get a winning attitude. They have lost for so long they do not know how to win.

Not being critical just stating facts. My husband is a graduate of Mineola and the last time that he can remember them winning a district championship was in 1966.

That is true. They have been co district champs in the past. I remember in 1986 or 1988 under Richard Lay they were pretty good. The admin. thinks that by changing coaches every year it will create a new atmosphere for winning. It has not worked yet. They hire these coaches strictly on them building themselves up and they do no background checks on these guys whatsoever. The current AD and the recently resigned AD were not the type of guys you would hire to rebuild a program. The reason Mineola don't get the guys to turn programs around is because they have to be "yes" men to the Supt. Coaches that come in and shake things up and turn things around are not "yes" men.

Originally posted by BigRedFan

Their record does not indicate it, but who knows? The kids first need to get a winning attitude. They have lost for so long they do not know how to win.

Not being critical just stating facts. My husband is a graduate of Mineola and the last time that he can remember them winning a district championship was in 1966.

I'm not sure I buy that kids don't know how to win because they have never won view. Each year you have a new group of kids coming in and I can't believe they come in believing they can't win. A winning attitude doesn't come from just winning football games, it starts when kids believe in themselves, and graduates to them believing in each other as teammates. You can have a winning attitude without even stepping on a field. That attitude carries over into every area of a kid's life.