Bobby Knight

coachb

Updated: Oct. 19, 2006, 8:22 PM ET

Extension could keep Knight at Tech through 2012ESPN.com news services

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Bob Knight may not just pass Dean Smith's all-time win record; he may shatter the mark. He has agreed to a three-year extension to coach Texas Tech until 2012.

Knight, 65, has won 869 games, 10 shy of tying former North Carolina coach Dean Smith on the all-time list.

"I just [agreed to] a three-year extension on my contract that gives me another five years to coach," Knight told ESPN.com for an exclusive sitdown for ESPN360 next month.

"When I was 37 I told [a reporter] I didn't think I'd coach until I'm 40," he said. "Well, I'm 65 and either I'm not smart enough to do something else or I like what I'm doing. I hope it's the latter."

The contract still needs to be OK'd by the university's board of regents, but athletic director Gerald Myers said the deal would be for $300,000 a year, with $600,000 in outside income guaranteed.

"It's not a done deal," athletic director Gerald Myers said. "We're still in the process of getting it done."

Myers said he believes that once the paperwork is signed that Knight has every intention of staying through the contract period.

"But he's never really talked about when he's going to retire," Myers said. "He feels good, he's energetic, he still enjoys it. I'm glad he's going to continue on coaching. He's doing an outstanding job."

Knight signed a three-year extension in 2004 that took him until 2009. Three more years were added to this deal according to Knight's son Tim, who works in the Tech athletic department.

Knight has a career record of 869-350 in 40 seasons of coaching at Army, Indiana and Texas Tech. He is 105-61 in five seasons at Texas Tech.

Knight won national titles at Indiana in 1976, 1981 and 1987. Last season, when Texas Tech went 15-17, was the second losing season of his career. His first came in his final year at Army in 1971, when his team went 11-13.

"I may coach another 10 years; I don't know," Knight said at Big 12 media day Thursday.

Associate head coach Pat Knight has already been tabbed to succeed his father.

• 2 weeks later...

He is a good speaker but doesn't know when to tone it down. At his basketball camp this last summer my friend and his wife said Coach Knight was cussing at the kids...10-12 year old kids...

There is a time and a place for everything but that's not the time. I do respect him for kicking Jackson off though.

I had the privilege of going to Coach Knight's basketball camp a few years back and I thought he was a great speaker. I do not remember him cussing though but he was very strict. He did send two kids home from messing around while he was talking. To me, he's a great coach and expects a lot out of his kids. He doesn't get all of the McDonalds All American's or anyone like that, he gets the kids that are going to listen to what he says and play his kind of basketball. And the thing is, he's successful with that. Can't argue with his methods. Best coach in the Big 12 and has been since he's gotten there. Well, before Roy Williams left, it was a toss up but I still give the edge to Knight.