What do you think of this quote?

Voted4Dubya

No event in American history is more misunderstood than the Vietnam War. It was misreported then, and it is misremembered now.

Richard M. Nixon

I think it is exactly right. Our media, on both sides, cannot be trusted. They distort things. They are doing the same thing with Iraq right now. Thats why I put this quote up there, because I see the same thing happening in Iraq. You have the looney left reporting things as they see it, and not as they really are. Theres a big difference in liberalism and reality.

Originally posted by Voted4Dubya

all presidents are obsessed with their legacy. Nixon was no different. What happened with Nixon was that the media blew what happened out of the water.

For the thousandth time, no it wasn't. What happened was one of the greatest examples of corruption and abuse of power in American political history.

What Nixon did was no more than many other presidents have done. The nail in the coffin was he got caught. Some of the things other presidents have done make Watergate small in comparison. I was in high school when it happened, so we were following it pretty close.

What happened with Nixon was that the media blew what happened out of the water.

Example, please (???)

How was reporting the fact that we were fighting a guerilla war in a conventional matter or the fall of Saigon "blown out of the water" ??? :ermm:

Ask anybody who was fighting over there, and tell me that spending a week fighting up a hill and dying, only to be ordered to fall back the next week and have it retaken by the enemy isn't a complete failure of conflict.

Vietnam is the perfect example why fighting wars over ideology is so irrational. It's also a perfect example of why politicians should stay out of military decisions and direction.

No event in American history is more misunderstood than the Vietnam War. It was misreported then, and it is misremembered now.

Richard M. Nixon

I think it is exactly right. Our media, on both sides, cannot be trusted. They distort things. They are doing the same thing with Iraq right now. Thats why I put this quote up there, because I see the same thing happening in Iraq. You have the looney left reporting things as they see it, and not as they really are. Theres a big difference in liberalism and reality.

I think he was wrong. It was not misreported and it is not misremembered. The looney right also reports it wrong. Please dont ask what the looney right is, that would be off the subject.

Cheapy Saigon fell after an overwelming number of US troups had left. The Marines for all intent and purpose were phased out after Ke Sahn, the Army was all but gone in 73 and I think the SEALs were there until mid to late 75. Tet was a disaster for the viet cong and NVA. PBS ran a 13 part series on Vietnam from all sides, wish more peolpe could have seen it. In that series the leaders of the NVA stated that it was an overwelming defeat for them (They lost over 40k peolpe), but our media report it as a huge win for them. They decided to hang on while our media made us leave.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bleedsbluengold24

On the Nixon issue. The excuse "The nail in the coffin was he got caught." is old and stale and a cop-out. Whether he got caught or not is not the issue. The issue is what Nixon did was wrong and illegal. He disgraced himself, his office, and his nation.

Remove Watergate from his legacy, and you have a pretty good President. I'm a Republican. Most republicans will remember him as a good President. I remember seeing Bob Dole openly sobbing as he eulogized Nixon at his funeral.

As good of a President as he was, we do ourselves and our history a disservice when we discount his actions and pass them off as nothing more serious than "he got caught." If you truely believe that then you have to believe governmental corruption is okay as long as you can stay one step ahead of the law.

"Those who don't learn from the past, are doomed to repeat it." Philosopher George Santayana

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by Aggie2008

While I think Nixon was not a very good person, I have to agree at least a little bit.

The Tet Offensive failed miserably militarily...but they got on TV, and that is what they were trying to do.

The Tet Offensive and the coverage thereof is an interesting analogy to what is happening in Iraq. Insurgents are dying (and being killed by our troops) in huge numbers. But what we see is the other side of that, US soldiers and Marines being killed along with Iraqi citizens. Our losses are being played up and reported as the big story. Left out of most of those stories are those insurgent deaths.

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid

all presidents are obsessed with their legacy. Nixon was no different. What happened with Nixon was that the media blew what happened out of the water.

For the thousandth time, no it wasn't. What happened was one of the greatest examples of corruption and abuse of power in American political history.

Watergate was nothing more than a cheap two bit robbery. The real crime was the cover up which resulted in Nixon's resignation. The media blew it out of proportion, no doubt.

Had the Sandy Burger ROBBERY of classified information from the national archives been handled correctly and fully investigated, I believe it would have led to a criminal conspiracy involving Bill Clinton to steal and destroy documents implicating the Clinton administration on national security issues. Burger stole the documents to keep the 9/11 commission from getting the information. In my mind, this was a far worse crime than the Watergate burglary. The difference was the Bush administration and the liberal media swept it under the rug. Sandy Burger should be doing hard time in a federal prison and Clinton should be with him!

Richard Nixon had the dignity to put the presidency above his own interests, unlike Clinton. Rather than facing impeachment, Nixon resigned to spare the country, Clinton was concerned with his legacy! :whistle:

Originally posted by KirtFalcon

Watergate was nothing more than a cheap two bit robbery.

Richard Nixon had the dignity to put the presidency above his own interests, unlike Clinton. Rather than facing impeachment, Nixon resigned to spare the country, Clinton was concerned with his legacy!

Do you actually believe some of the things you say?