Colt is now on SI's Heisman watch list!

Immortal13

SI's gene menez made a vague hint last week that he might start considering mccoy or a couple other up-&-coming QBs for the latter end of his Top-10 heisman candidates list in coming weeks.

and indeed, after that showing against tech, colt pulls in at #9. check it out...

colt mccoy

wow!

i'd find it almost incredulous, but honestly, when you look at what he's done, i'd be hard-pressed to think there's any way he could NOT be on there.

I think that his being on the list will primarily be leading into next year. Ohio State's Smith should have this year's Heisman wrapped up. And McCoy's definitely making noise at the QB position this year; enough to make "the rest" on the list.

What is it ..... the "Top 4 or 5" get invited to New York?

But that being said, McCoy has done a great job with the team surrounding him. There's some hosses at receivers, runners, "O" line and "D" that create a very good partnership.

He's made some freshman mistakes, but learning OTJ will make him double tough for next season. His touch on the ball seems to have impoved as the season progressed .... understandably.

His contribution to UT's season so far ..... :thumbsup: can't deny that .... and the Horns are a "high profile" program around the country.

Ha, there we go. Guess I did have a point! He should be mentioned for the Heisman, for his great stats, TD-INT ratio, and his ability to win games and 4 comeback wins in a row- OU, Baylor, Nebraska, and Tech. I don't think he's the best player in the nation and no way should he win the Heisman, or even be in New York, but he should be mentioned up there with the best for what he's done

gabehorns did call this. and i agree i think he should atleast be mentioned for the Heisman, although smith pretty much has it won. mccoy has surprised me more and more each game. he displays many good qualities for a young qb in the big 12, espeically these past four games.

Let's think about this for a minute.

The Heisman is supposed to go to the best college football player in the country. So basically what he is saying is that McCoy is the #9 football player in the ENTIRE NCAA.

Does anyone else see a problem with that or is it just me?

Well if you want to get technical you can take out all D Linemen and O Linemen. Their not going to win it.

Then basically take out the whole defense, because their not going to win it, especially no one this year.

So now youve got what 30% of the NCAA left? Among those 30%, to this point in the season, yes he has very much been the ninth best player.

Originally posted by Aggie2008

Let's think about this for a minute.

The Heisman is supposed to go to the best college football player in the country. So basically what he is saying is that McCoy is the #9 football player in the ENTIRE NCAA.

Does anyone else see a problem with that or is it just me?

I don't see a problem with it at all. Statistically, McCoy has been one of the most productive QBs this season and has led his team to 4 comeback wins in the month of October! He ranks 7th nationally in passing efficiency, 1700 yards, 24 TDs, 4 INTs. For a balanced pass/run team, that's pretty impressive, especially for a freshman. I don't care what you say, he has the players around him and that Snead could do the job just as well. Some of the plays McCoy has made have been just amazing, being in trouble and making the pass on the run, or having to tuck the ball, slip through a couple tackles and tack on a 30 yard run to solidify the win against Tech.... I don't see Snead doing anything like that. He'd freeze up and take a sack, or try to force a pass that's end up for 6 the other way. McCoy is legit!

Heisman candidates usually mean one of three areas ...

(1) quarterbacks

(2) running backs

(3) receivers that also return punts

And only the ones that have "eye catching" stats after their name, as well as play for a successful program.

Yeah, McCoy, THIS YEAR, probably qualifies under that definition.

I think it's valid having McCoy at #9. I don't really see a problem with that. I don't think he will end up in New York but it's still good for a player, especially a freshman, to get the recognition.

GeauxTigers,

Why do you think Peterson shouldn't have been in New York his freshman year? He finished second in voting for a reason. If you think it's only because it was his first year I don't like that argument. The Heisman shouldn't be about your career it should be about who is the best player that year and he was definitely one of the top players in the country.

No one is saying that McCoy should win, it's just good to year that he's being menion with the best, which is what he deserves for what he's done on the field this year. Peterson deserved to be #2 in voting. It's not because of your career, because Cedric Benson would've been in New York if that was the case, who finished 6th in voting

Originally posted by GabeHorns

No one is saying that McCoy should win, it's just good to year that he's being menion with the best, which is what he deserves for what he's done on the field this year. Peterson deserved to be #2 in voting. It's not because of your career, because Cedric Benson would've been in New York if that was the case, who finished 6th in voting

I know that. All I said was that I don't think he'll end up in New York. I bet about 99% of the people on here think the same. I also said that I think it's good for him especially being a freshman to get the recognition.