***THE OFFICIAL 2006 WORLD SERIES THREAD***

cheaptrick77

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about blowing something out of proportion. All of you baseball purists should know by now that this kind of thing is common practice. Pitchers have been doctoring the ball for decades, and still do. I don't want to overgeneralize and say they all do it, but it is a well known fact that most of them do. Nolan Ryan has been caught doing it, and so has Roger Clemens. That is why LaRussa did not make a big deal about it at the time. Because he knows his pitchers do it too.

And let's not even get started about position players......they are either corking bats or injecting themselves with something. If I was a pitcher, I would probably be doing something to even the odds a little.

Carpenter is doing a good job tonight with his "glob of dirt". He's pitching a shutout tonight through 8 innings against the Tigers.

The Cardinals are up 4-0 .... with Albert Puhols coming up with the bases loaded!!!!!

2006 World Series Game 5

verlanderim8.jpgjeffweaverux8.jpg

Justin Verlander (17-9, 3.63)
vs.
Jeff Weaver (8-14, 5.76)

7:27pm FOX

Should the Cardinals win tonight, it would mark the worst regular season record (83-78) for a World Series champion.

Current standard: 1987 Minnesota Twins (85-77)

Guest CNOrtega
Originally posted by cheaptrick77

Weaver had a winning record with the Cardinals (5-4) and an abysmal record (3-10) with Dodgers in 2006...

Don't you mean the Angels, oh knower of all baseball things?

And of course, the last time a team won the last three games in the World Series to win the Series 4 games to 1 was.............the 1984 Detroit Tigers over the San Diego Padres.

And did you know that six teams have trailed 3 games to 1 and come back to win the Series.

Among them are the '68 Tigers and the '85 Royals........and yes the team that these two came back to beat was the St. Louis Cardinals. I guess it is fitting that the Cards have a chance to exact some revenge on that trend tonight !!

This series is far from over....The pitching matchup looks great tonight for Detroit. Tomorrow you have Kenny "pine tar" Rogers going at home and then on to Game 7 when anything can happen. I say if the Cards don't wrap it up tonight, the Tigers are going to win this series.

On the other hand....

It's funny how things have a way of evening out in the end. Rogers apparently cheated and the Tigers received no punishment. Or did they? FOUR pitchers' errors have dramatically changed three different games in favor of St. Louis, Monroe gets a bad read on a ball that glances off his glove for the game-winning hit, and Granderson falls down on an easy fly ball when the Cards rallied last night. It kinda looks like it's the Cards' year.

The Cardinals get their 10th World Series title tonight with a 4-2 win in Game 5 over the Detroit Tigers. Adam Wainwright closes the deal and the celebration begins !!

Congratulations to the Cardinal organization and the job they have done through the years.

From 1926, '31, '34, '43, '44, '46, '64, '67, '82 and now 2006, thanks for the memories and thrills, Redbirds !!