Prayer Before Football Games

sports r us

I see some schools have decided to violate what I assume is federal law concerning prayer before football games. Spring Hill at least left out the Lord's name but White Oak just came out and said a prayer. I believe it is was the superintendent himself saying the prayer.

I believe we should be able to pray legally but what about administrators who just ignore the laws they just don't like? What lesson concerning rules/laws are we teaching the kids? Break the ones you want just don't get caught? Thoughts?

Atlanta has done it in the past too.

I get irritated by it, but that's mainly because it's always Jesus this and Jesus that. If you want to pray at a football game like that, just say God, at least in my opinion you should. God is a multi-defined word, and doesn't exclude anyone's beliefs.

I suppose when schools pray before a football game it's their idea of civil disobedience. Sticking it to the government. I don't think the government has a place in saying whether you can pray or not; I do understand WHY it was ruled that way and I do agree with it, I just hate how invasive the gov't has become with every part of life. I think praying before a football game is tasteless and unnecessary. There's nothing solemn about a football game. A moment of silence works just perfectly fine for me.

You can pray at graduation and other "solemn" events like that. I just do see any NEED to pray at a football game over the PA. As for breaking the law, I'm not sure if the government would really ever do anything about it.

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by Aggie2008

It is not federal law, it is a Supreme Court order.

...issued by activist judges.

God could care less who wins or loses a football game -- have a moment of silence, use it how you wish & LET'S MOVE ON from this discussion, toward more important issues :wacko:

BTW:

activist judges = judges who do not share your views

Guest CNOrtega
Originally posted by cheaptrick77

God could care less who wins or loses a football game

I am in 100% agreement. God has bigger fish to fry.

God could care less who wins or loses a football game -- have a moment of silence, use it how you wish & LET'S MOVE ON from this discussion, toward more important issues

I've never heard anyone ask God to allow a certain team to win during the pregame prayer. The main purpose in my opinion is to invoke His blessings, ask that there be no injuries to the players, ask that the fans have a safe journey, and to promote goodwill between the two schools and communities. I'm all for it.

You're telling me people don't ever slip in a "please let my team win" ??? :whome:

"Goodwill between the two schools and communities" (???) :w00t:

People need to help themselves before God can help out in that area (remember, he does not care who wins or loses) ... :D

I do believe that in this particular case the courts are right...publicly funded schools with public football games should not be sponsoring religious exercises.

Not because I don't believe in offending people, but because government+religion= the eventual destruction of both. I do not want Christianity to be the forefront of american politics because it would only serve to rot american Christianity into futile religious morality that serves no purpose (not that we aren't pretty much there already:unsure:.

activist judges = judges who do not share your views

I somewhat disagree...an 'activist' judge to me is one who oversteps their bounds and creates laws by court order instead of having to go through Congress. For instance gay marriage would never pass in most states so they just sue and let judges create marriage laws for them.

You're telling me people don't ever slip in a "please let my team win" ??? :whome:

"Goodwill between the two schools and communities" (???) :w00t:

So you are not in favor of competitors showing some goodwill toward one another? If not, then (in my opinion) you're what's wrong with high school athletics. Also, please tell me what stadium you were at when you ever heard a pregame prayer over the public address system in which they asked God to let their team win.

Guest bleedsbluengold24

People need to help themselves before God can help out in that area (remember, he does not care who wins or loses) ... :D

I don't want to get into a big theological debate on this, so I won't respond if you challenge what I'm about to tell you. You have your belief system and I have mine. We are both free to believe what we want.

You are mistaken about God wanting us to help ourselves before He will help us. God wants us to depend on Him, not ourselves.

Don't miscontrue this as me trying to force my belief on you. I am not. I'm telling you what the Word teaches.

The court found that:

-Including a prayer in the game schedules was a state-sponsored religious activity, and thus was unconstitutional.

-Formal prayer unconstitutionally coerced attendees into participating in a religious activity

-The state may not endorse an overtly religious message, even if the majority of the people want it.

-Prayer, if truly initiated by an individual student, is protected free speech. For example, a player can spontaneously call for a group prayer huddle. A person in the stands can assemble an informal group prayer.

-Truly voluntary prayer by students is always protected speech, both before, during, and after school.

From here.

If some of you aren't familiar with Santa Fe School districts case, you should read up on it. The ruling didn't ban prayer at games, it banned school sponsored prayer and coordination. We can pray at games all we want, just not over the PA system.

The court found that:

-Including a prayer in the game schedules was a state-sponsored religious activity, and thus was unconstitutional.

-The state may not endorse an overtly religious message, even if the majority of the people want it.

This always amazes me in light of the fact that the United States Congress and the State Legislature ALWAYS open their sessions with public prayers.

Originally posted by Middle

Actually the Supreme court is an appellate court that declares things constitutional or unconstitutional from appeals of lower courts, if you want to get technical, sports.

Thats what I said just in English not lawyer speak lol

I really didn't post this to argue for or against. Post if your school superintendent says a prayer over the PA system prior to your football games. I would be interested to know how many break the law. White Oak is the only one I personally have seen do it.

Originally posted by e_t_sports

So you are not in favor of competitors showing some goodwill toward one another?

Man, did you COMPLETELY miss my point. OF COURSE, I am "in favor" of goodwill, hugging and kissing and all that sappy stuff !! :D

MY POINT was, based on the exhaustive back-and-forth seen in the SDC high school forum, local "goodwill" is a prayer that God obviously has not responded to !! :w00t:

you're what's wrong with high school athletics

Seeing how I have absolutely NO INTEREST in high school athletics, I am FAR from being "what's wrong" .......... :tongue:

Originally posted by bleedsbluengold24

God wants us to depend on Him, not ourselves. Don't miscontrue this as me trying to force my belief on you

Ah, I wouldn't do that, man !! :)

I just happen to think the God expects more from us, that's all ;)

First off I will say that I am a Christian. Now I will say that I have absolutely no problem with public prayer or anything like that, but I agree with also respecting the beliefs of others. A moment of silence is sufficient in my eyes. I will use an example... On my college baseball team we have a member on the team that is Hindu. This does not affect how I feel about him as a teammate, person, competitor, etc. He chooses not to say the lords prayer with us before the game, and that is fine with me. We simply say our prayer, then he is given time to make his own tidings to his gods. This does not offend me, nor him, so I really cannot see why this manner cannot be solved in a easier fashion than it has taken over the last 50 or so years!!!

And for the record Cheapy as long as I have prayed before any sporting event I played in I have not once prayed for my own teams victory. I pray that I will play to the best of my abilities, that there will be no injuries to either side during the game, and that the Lord help me be an example of him every time I take the field. Which I regret to say I am not always...:unsure: