HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL TRIVIA

cheaptrick77

I think Midland Lee did it in the late 90's.

La Marque actually made it to 4 in a row I think. But they didn't win them all.

I saw them lose to Stephenville in a state championship at Texas Stadium back in the late 90's (same day I saw Midland Lee beat a San Antonio school for the title game because Katy got kicked out a few days before the game).

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by golffingnut

Here's a few:

Fort Hancock 88,89,90,91 6 man

LaMarque 95,96,97

Sealy 94,95,96,97

Big Sandy 73,74,75 (Game in 1974 was actually a tie with Celina 0-0)

Waco had 3 in a row in the 20's, Amarillo in the 30's, and Abilene in the 50's.

The Big Sandy/Celina game in 1974 must have been a tough one. Was that before there was overtime? How did they decide who advanced when there were ties in the regional and area playoff games before overtime was used?

Originally posted by easttxtrack

Which Texas high school football team has made it to the state championship game the most times without bringing home a state championship? (OUCH!)

Smithson Valley and Denison come to mind with 0-3 records in championship games. Can't remember if Burnet ever won one. If not, they are 0-3 also.

before overtime , if I remember correctly --the team that advanced in case of a tie was determined by penetrations inside the 20 yard line of the opponent, if that was still a tie tie it went to first downs....after that I can't remember.....this being to the best of my old a-- remembrance

Originally posted by poisonednutz10
Originally posted by HankTheCowDog

Nutz, I came up with a different answer. My research (Collier-Sharp) showed that 1972 was the first year that a state championship was held for B schools and Chilton defeated Windthorst 6-0. I found it interesting because those two schools are ranked 1-2 in the state right now. I also found it cool that in 2A Wall and Mart are ranked consecutively, but I digress. Class B records went back to 1926 with Anson and Marlin in the playoffs, but they showed nothing beyond bi-district games being played. Incidentally, in 1926 Gilmer beat Center 26-7 in other Class B action.

I'm not challenging your answer, just wondering if there is a resource out there with even more data than C-S gives.

Do you want to post the next question or do you want me to throw something else out there?

I went to TexasFootballRatings.com and looked it up and it said that the 1st Class B state championship was in 1927 with Anson beating Marlin 3-0. So I don't know.

Actually, both answers are correct. This comes from two sources: "King Football" and "Autumn's Mightiest Legions." The UIL does not recognize the 1927 game between Anson and Marlin because Class B only played to a bi-district title back then. The Anson coach found a loophole in the UIL rule and played in three more games after bi-district. The championship game was sponsored by the Abilene Reporter-News and Simmons University (now Hardin-Simmons). It was played at Parramore Field in Abilene on January 1, 1927.

On a side note, Dewey Mayhew was the coach of Marlin that year and left after the season to become the coach at Abilene. Abilene lost to Waco 21-14 in the 1927 state championship game. Dewey Mayhew thus became the answer to the trivia question: Who is the only coach to lose two state championship games in the same year?

• 2 months later...

1983 Daingerfield Tigers are the only ones to ever shut out every opponent in the playoffs. They were only scored on in two games, 2 points in one and 6 points in another both were both regular season games, so all but two of their games where shutouts, I think 13 shutouts (can't remember the total number of games.)

Originally posted by CNOrtega
Originally posted by tiggerbacker

What team lost in the state finals in baseball in '84 that would of given this district all four boys sports titles.

Hint- Daingerfield won football and track, New Boston won basketball.

Hint-All three will be in the same 2A district next year.

You're thinking about Linden-Kildare.

Only because of a bogus rules intepretation by the home plate umpire. The UIL had just introduced a rule that a player could be ejected for "intentionally" colliding with someone. L-K's pitcher was covering home and applied a hard tag to keep from getting run over. After a long discussion with the other team's coach, the umpire tossed L-K's ace pitcher.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
who is the only high school team to shut out every opponent in playoffs? and how many shut outs did they have that year all together

that would be 83 dfield

So any East Texas teams played Colleges, and won?

well do you consider gilmer a college? joke

1983 Daingerfield Tigers are the only ones to ever shut out every opponent in the playoffs. They were only scored on in two games, 2 points in one and 6 points in another both were both regular season games, so all but two of their games where shutouts, I think 13 shutouts (can't remember the total number of games.)

14 were shutouts

Maybe that question is too obscure as was my district 7-AAA entry above.

Waco Robinson in the second round, intercepted a pass and returned it inside the ten but did not score.

How about something more concrete? Name the two teams that did manage to record points against the '83 Tigers.

Kilgore 2

carthage 6