16 2A Baseball Favorite?

Sportsfan44

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont believe this district is 16 2A anymore...But here is a little overview of what everyone should be like...

Grand Saline- Great tradition behind them... Lost Kinney Laprade, but still have Matt Johnson...

Edgewood- Tied GS for the Championship last year. Still have Dixon, Weaver, and Hogan as their main players...

Quitman- Got 3rd in district last year. Loses Conley on the hill... Have 7 kids that started in district games last year...

AG- LOST ROB THOMAS... Ryan Young was good though his freshman year in Rains...

Hawkins- Horrible last year can only get better...

Como- dont have a clue

Winnsboro- Will be decent, but lost their key player in Doak...

Thanks for the info jackuup8 that chould help out a little. I did not remember Como or Hawkins having a lot, don't know about Winnsboro, but do remember Alba beating GS to force a tie for the district championship with GS winning the tie braker game. Rob Thomas was a great player on an average team. Best of luck to Edgewood. They had a great team last year and the year before but seem to need a extra bit to get over the hump of the first round of the playoffs. Quitman is real young and if they can find the pitching they will be tough to beat as well.

Quitman's bulk is in their junior class.... Shackleford, Peak and Peckham all started as freshman. Shackleford will be one of the premiere infielders in the district if he doesn't have to catch all year.

Now I know AG will struggle to compete with GS and Edgewood, but I seriously think they have a legit shot at 3rd. Don't forget about Canyon Ellis who beat GS in his last start as a freshman giving up only 3 runs. I think he will prove to be one of better pitchers in the district, as long as he gets backup from his defense. Ryan Young will definately turn some heads as well, he will probably steal bases at will.

I see Grand Saline and Edgewood finishing 1-2, then its up for grabs after that, with Quitman the favorite for the 3rd spot.

Matt Johnson could possibly be the best 3A and under player in Northeast Texas......he is an incredible athlete.....and a great baseball player.....i see Grand Saline winning this district with tough competition from Edgewood....Quitman will be tough as well....Winnsboro gets 4th probably....maybe them or Hawkins........Grand Saline just has so much tradition in baseball and the expectations are high every year for those guys....even in years that most would consider down years....

GS is definite favorite with Edgewood second. Quitman will start probably 8 juniors and a soph. They must find a #2 pitcher behind Peckham. AG and Winnsboro both are capable of making a run at the playoffs--Should be a good district

Prodigy..... thanks for the info, i knew with Neighbors graduating that he might have to do it. I remember when he caught as a freshman and was the district newcomer of the year, he did a great job. But I thought he was a standout last year at third. The kid's a ballplayer so wherever he plays, he should excel.

Winnsboro will have some good young players in Bennett, Ditto, and Slaughter. Alba Golden will be much better even without Thomas as Ellis and Young will be among the better district players and I think Coach Frye's sons will be playing. Both of these teams will compete for a playoff spot

Dark, your blowing our cover baby, Ellis is no match for all that tradition over @ GS and Young can't hit or field or run for that matter. the rest of the team, well when we lost Thomas that was the end of any chance we had to win even one game much less a playoff spot. SSSHHH,,

Quitman lost their number 1 pitcher-Also lost their catcher and centerfielder. They have three juniors that have started every game of their high school career in Peek-Peckham and Shackelford- Also have 4 more Jumiors that started all or most of last season

exactly LandCruizer so is there any help coming to the program....the way I understand it FOOTBALL practiced on the BASEBALL field with a guarentee to redo the baseball field after the football season but nothing has been done?????Any truth????......and just another great move by the new AD, putting one of his great football coaches in charge of the baseball program, to make sure it doesn't get better.....Great move coach, great move.....You have to love the AG situation......Pretty sure the old AD doesn't look so bad now.....what a mistake

Originally posted by chilipepper3

exactly LandCruizer so is there any help coming to the program....the way I understand it FOOTBALL practiced on the BASEBALL field with a guarentee to redo the baseball field after the football season but nothing has been done?????Any truth????......and just another great move by the new AD, putting one of his great football coaches in charge of the baseball program, to make sure it doesn't get better.....Great move coach, great move.....You have to love the AG situation......Pretty sure the old AD doesn't look so bad now.....what a mistake

Another Frye-hater. I'm not sure exactly what foundation you have for saying the athletic program has not improved under Frye. It's better than it was before he got there. I think maybe you have been in the dark. Plus, he has not even completed a full year and you're ready for a change??? There's always naysayers who "claim" they could do better or just hate change.

Originally posted by chilipepper3

First off...whoever the baseball coach was last year needs glasses if he thinks that field was in top shape...ask any team in the district and second any football coach would have more knowledge of the game of baseball than the last coach we had. Yeah...I think the new AD looks great!

I'll say that when I was over there a couple of years ago, it was the worst field I had ever seen, and there were football lines in it then. So I am not sure it was all Frye's doing. they did however, make a lot of improvements in it last year from what I hear.

The baseball coach from the past 4 years did nothing but work his tail off on that baseball field. The baseball field last year looks 10 times better than it did when Coach Currie got there 4 years ago. The grass was much greener and the mound was redone, it was just a much better place to play. Its still not to the caliber of most in the district, but at least it wasn't a disgrace like it had been in the past.