16 2A Baseball Favorite?

Sportsfan44

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by chilipepper3

exactly LandCruizer so is there any help coming to the program....the way I understand it FOOTBALL practiced on the BASEBALL field with a guarantee to redo the baseball field after the football season but nothing has been done?????Any truth????......and just another great move by the new AD, putting one of his great football coaches in charge of the baseball program, to make sure it doesn't get better.....Great move coach, great move.....You have to love the AG situation......Pretty sure the old AD doesn't look so bad now.....what a mistake

A lot of the field stuff falls to me. I never said I would do anything to fix the baseball field. To be fair to both sides the baseball field as of this weekend when I finish it, will be in the same shape as it was a year ago, minus all the construction stuff laying around and there will be a little less grass in the outfield (due to the football team) maybe 5% less. Other than those circumstances that no one can help everything is the same. "What is the big deal". It's grass you know, it grows back. So you're saying let's fire the AD over it. I'll say it again, if you are an old coach or a teacher or the principal or whoever, at A-G ,"YOU" and your thinking or sour grapes as some call it are the reason A-G has been getting their brains beat out for the last several years. Look at the schools record all those years, what do you see, "LOSING"... P.S. Nice of you to give the AD his due after winning 3 games in football this year, something that has not been done in 4 years.

Originally posted by GlorySoftball

exactly LandCruizer so is there any help coming to the program....the way I understand it FOOTBALL practiced on the BASEBALL field with a guarantee to redo the baseball field after the football season but nothing has been done?????Any truth????......and just another great move by the new AD, putting one of his great football coaches in charge of the baseball program, to make sure it doesn't get better.....Great move coach, great move.....You have to love the AG situation......Pretty sure the old AD doesn't look so bad now.....what a mistake

A lot of the field stuff falls to me. I never said I would do anything to fix the baseball field. To be fair to both sides the baseball field as of this weekend when I finish it, will be in the same shape as it was a year ago, minus all the construction stuff laying around and there will be a little less grass in the outfield (due to the football team) maybe 5% less. Other than those circumstances that no one can help everything is the same. "What is the big deal". It's grass you know, it grows back. So you're saying let's fire the AD over it. I'll say it again, if you are an old coach or a teacher or the principal or whoever, at A-G ,"YOU" and your thinking or sour grapes as some call it are the reason A-G has been getting their brains beat out for the last several years. Look at the schools record all those years, what do you see, "LOSING"... P.S. Nice of you to give the AD his due after winning 3 games in football this year, something that has not been done in 4 years.

Glory, I agree. It's as if there is a group that openly "wants" for AG to continue to fail. Frye is trying to change that and he is getting condemned for it. He's ignoring them, I hope.

Why did this go from a 16AA baseball post to a debate about The Alba Golden AD and head Football coach. Frye has done a good job at AG and has the Athletes actually believing in themselves. Lets get back on the topic of baseball and keep the backbiting to some other post

Baseball is not treated fairly at a lot of schools in this district compared to football and basketball. However, I will say you have a great baseball district with Quitman, Grand Saline, and Edgewood. These three teams could probably win some 3 AAA districts. I am really pulling for Alba-Golden though to beat these guys. I always like the under dog!

exactly LandCruizer so is there any help coming to the program....the way I understand it FOOTBALL practiced on the BASEBALL field with a guarentee to redo the baseball field after the football season but nothing has been done?????Any truth????......and just another great move by the new AD, putting one of his great football coaches in charge of the baseball program, to make sure it doesn't get better.....Great move coach, great move.....You have to love the AG situation......Pretty sure the old AD doesn't look so bad now.....what a mistake

UH-OH Chilipepper,,, :harhar:someone has been working:sweat: on the baseball field...:thumbsup:

Edgewood, Grand Saline and Quitman will be a dogfight. Winnsboro could also be in the mix if they adjust well to new Coach. Longtime coach Fleming went to Brownsboro and is replaced by Coach Simmons who comes from Commerce. Hopefully they will make it a four team mix, which would result in a great district race.

Im going to quote tbone44 on this one with a little modifications "My mind says Grand Saline, but my heart says Quitman". He posted that last year at the beginning of the season and GS ended up winning... With tbone being one of my friends hopefully he wont care that I changed his quote up a little bit...

edgewood will be firing on all cylinders this season, they have been practicing amongst themselves for about a month now. they will have a 3 or 4 pitcher rotation that is solid, with every pitcher throwing differently. they have good power hitters that can hit it out of the park on any trip to the plate. they also have a crop of young players that will step up this year and lead the bulldogs to a district championship

I agree with some earlier posts about the baseball field being much better in AG last year than it was the year before. I admit it was not great then but it was about 10 times better than the previous year. I am still going to go with GS to win the district with Edgewood finishing a close second and Quitman right behind Edgewood. Edgewood does have some good players coming back as well as Quitman but both lost a good pitcher and they need someone to fill those shoes. GS pitching did not loose anyone and they have one more year of experience. They did loose one really good first baseman and he will be hard to replace but they have a few kids that will battle for that spot. Quitman has most of its players back and yes they will still be young. One more year of a good coach will show on the field too. I could be wrong about the particular order of teams in the district but I do not see anyone beating out any of those 3 teams to sneak into the playoffs.

I believe your right as well Sportsfan44... Edgewood always starts off slow then every year they turn it up when they need to... But its hard for me not to say that GS will not win the championship... I hope Quitman will peak at the right time of the year this season unlike last to make the district more interesting... Quitman peaked in mid season last year and just played down after a horrible outing to Edgewood at home...

BTW... Quitman is far beyond young. Even though they will have I believe 7 jr's starting, 6 of them have played on varsity since their freshman year... Look out for Layne Lisenbee SS for Quitman... This kid got hurt last year in mid season with a .600 BA... I look for him and Lil Shack to keep things rolling for this team...

Blaine Shackelford, Hayes Peckham, Colten Peek, Doug Carden, have all started since their freshman year... Alex Mauldin was good enough to play on Varsity his freshman year just struggles at the plate. Dusty Taylor was a big surprise as a freshman last year proving he could get the big hits and play 3rd regularly. Then there will probably be 3 sophomors Jade Bates (Played JV and Varsity All last season) Benton Burrow (Played JV and Varsity All Last Season) and Jeff Clark who will turn some heads at the plate this year... The big thing for Quitman will be pitching which should be fine. Kirby Hayes a sophomore who would have been on varsity as a freshman but quit is returning this season.

Originally posted by crossfire1407

nobody in this district is as good a player as Matt Johnson from GS.....not by a long shot......look for him to bag back 2 back MVP awards...

Man that's pretty bold, I guess we will see who the best is this year when the season starts. Does Mr. Johnson have any offers? I guess he could go anywhere he wants right? Texas, Miami, Rice, Cal, do you know where he has sighed. If he is a Senior he must of sighed already?

Matt Johnson is a great player, you cant take nothing away from the kid... He's fast, he can hit the ball, IMO though he is not that great of a pitcher... He throws a flat fastball with no movement at all... He's is a VERY good catcher though... MVP 2 years in a row, I could see it happening... Unless, Weaver from Edgewood has a really good season, or Shackelford or Peckham from Quitman... Those will be the top 4 contenders at the end of the year...

Jackuup8.... bates and burrows never played as freshman last year. They played on the j.v. team. Carden just ran bases his freshman year. And taylor was a sophmore last year. As far as mauldin starting as a freshman i don't know. It was possible but your right his bat wasn't very good. Kirby Hayes and Jeff Clark will need to step up this year for the dogs and I hope they can do it.

Bates started 2 games last year at second base when Peek was hurt (edgewood and gs)... Burrow just ran bases... If I'm remembering right Carden played with varsity his freshman year at the beginning for the first like 7 or 8 games and was batting .1000 and struck out 5 times in one game against Arp and wasnt the same after that, so he was replaced...

Jackuup you are very right. Matt threw a mid 80's fastball last year and it did not have a lot of movement on it. When he keeps the ball down in the zone and hits his corners he can be very effective with it. I do think he needs to throw a better changeup and curveball though. He is the best 2A catcher possibly in the state though. He could play that position for larger schools. Hitting 9 bombs as a junior is not too bad either. He has my vote right now. The Weaver kid to me was not as good last year as he was his soph or freshman year. If he plays like he did earlier in HS and improves a bit he will compete for it. I do not think Shack is as good as Peckham IMO but he would have a shot at competing for the MVP as well. It will not be long before we start seeing who is right.

Ok i will admit winnsboro was by far the best football team in the district... that's irrelevent, but saying that they could compete with quitman edgewood and grand saline in baseball... they are not bad at baseball but going out on a limb and saying that they will beat quitman edgewood and grandsaline is absurd... especailly saying that someone on that team has the playing caliber to beat out johnson, weaver, peckham, or shack in the mvp race:banging: