East Texas Music Scene (the abscence of)

Tiger77

Originally posted by bleedsbluengold24

Who's going to put up that kind of money?

You have to have something like that booked regularly to be able to keep it open.

There is PLENTY of money in Tyler.

There must be someone out there with the guts and the PASSION for music to start this thing up.

... and, NO -- I have neither the money nor a shred of business savvy to do something like this. I could only be a vocal supporter who is more knowledgeable about a band's history/discography than their "marketability".

Originally posted by cheaptrick77

That is a EXCELLENT facility -- it's like walking into a movie theater

Cheap, it is a wonderful stage, there's not a bad seat in the house. You are correct, it was once called Next Stage. Last July 3rd, I saw Ringo Starr and His All Starr band there. The funny thing was when Billy Squire got the spotlight, and the crowd was going, huh ? He showed he could play guitar, better than many we admire.

Edgar Winter stole the show, with his saxophone and keyboards. Rod Argent, said he had the flu, but he did a great rendition of "She's Not There" and "Time Of The Season".

Nokia is a great venue to see a concert. It's better than walking into a movie theatre, you feel like you're on the front row, being 50 rows up. It's intimate, and the accoustics are great.

I highly recommend seeing Ringo on his next tour if you get the chance. He's an entertainer, and very funny. What I thought was really hilarious was Ringo's birthday is on the 7th of July. One person took a skin from the Bass drum of The Beatles, to give to him and he said "You're still talking about this old band ?, they're dead, we're live." Then they went into a rendition of "Octopus's Garden". If Ringo, comes back, I'll be there.

Nokia is how all concert venues should be. I need to find out who the architect is, because, they were genius in creating it.

I think it has a capacity of 12,000, and the drinks are $4.50 and up, and that includes soft drinks. I can't extol Nokia, more than what I've stated. I can't say it was the best concert, I've ever seen, but, it left a lasting impression on me.:thumbsup:

[edit]

You're right, Mantle, Nokia only seats 6350.

Is a new Multipurpose Center in the "Tyler 21" plans?

I doubt it..........................

Tyler is too consumed with traffic lights and brick islands.

The city could buy the Oil Palace and refurbish it. Should be cheaper than starting from the ground up.

Originally posted by TwistedMetal

Is a new Multipurpose Center in the "Tyler 21" plans?

I doubt it..........................

I was lucky enough to be asked to fill out a TYLER 21 survey.

I FLOODED it with comments of how important entertainment options are to the personality of a city.

...as you can see by the survey results:

https://www.communicationsmgr.com/projects/...029,%202006.pdf ... Tylerites seem more interested in getting to WalMart without worrying about traffic. Pathetic :no:

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by DLeihman32878

On Kansas being a Christian band....

"Carry on My Wayward Son" and "Dust in The Wind" sound pretty overtly Christian to me....not that there is anything wrong with that, but the message is definitely Christian.

Find the message of Christian salvation is these lyrics.

Once I rose above the noise and confusion

Just to get a glimpse beyond the illusion

I was soaring ever higher, but I flew too high

Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man

Though my mind could think I still was a mad man

I hear the voices when I'm dreamin',

I can hear them say

(Chorus)

Carry on my wayward son,

For there'll be peace when you are done

Lay your weary head to rest

Now don't you cry no more

Masquerading as a man with a reason

My charade is the event of the season

And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely

means that I don't know

On a stormy sea of moving emotion

Tossed about I'm like a ship on the ocean

I set a course for winds of fortune, but

I hear the voices say

Carry on, you will always remember

Carry on, nothing equals the splendor

Now your life's no longer empty

Surely heaven waits for you

While the message is positive and it does mention Heaven, it's not what would be deemed a Christian song. Same for "Dust in the Wind".

I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone

All my dreams, pass before my eyes, a curiosity

Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind

Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea

All we do, crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

Dust in the wind, All we are is dust in the wind

Don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky

It slips away, all your money won't another minute buy

Dust in the wind, All we are is dust in the wind

I was checking out Hirsch Memorial Coliseum, it was built in 1954 when Shreveport's population was at 106,000. Since the damage the Katrina evacuees inflicted it can't be used anymore. It had a capacity of 10,600, true, the State Fair of Lousiana was held there, and may have been the reason it was built.

I just don't see why we can't have something like the Centrytell Center or something. Longview doesn't do anything either. I don't see why East Texas can't support at least 6 concerts by rock bands a year.

I agree... I really wish that the Tyler area had more to offer each year than just the occasional concert at the Oil Palace... My new landlord is actually a bass player for a local band, Backroom Noise... www.backroomnoise.com they've played at Clicks Billiards and done some Battle of the Bands...

It'd be awesome if someone opened up a place for local groups/bands to perform... I know another band from the Rusk area that's been tryin' to have concerts here lately too, so...

It's sad that with as much talent that comes out of Texas, our local areas don't really take pride in it... :getlost:

Whatever happened to the bands Four Play with a few ex-members of Head East, Hobbitt, or The Bobby Claire Band ? "Four Play" was pretty good and opened for Aldo Nova in 1991 in Shreveport at a place that may revive some memories of some 30 somethings now, Vertigo at Le Bossier.

The last thing I know that has come out of East Texas is Eisley, but they look to clean cut to go and see.