Gillespie to Arkansas?

Billie Gillespie is rumored to be a top candidate to replace Stan Health at Arkansas per the Razorback Radio Network. Rationale is that Arkansas would be a step up in prestige, facilities and pay. Bill Self is rumored to be another target of Arkansas.

Stan Heath is not officially out at Arkansas, but must win the SEC tourney to keep his job.

doubtful. he's got a&m right in the direction that he wants it. the fan support is amazing down there and their gym is becoming one of the toughest to play at in the big 12. gillespie will probably get some nice incentives to stay from a&m after this season

Considering A&M is about to spend many millions of dollars to upgrade the locker rooms/practice facilities at Reed Arena and Gillispie is a Texas guy at a place where he is building a program, has support and his mom can come to every home game........I really doubt he's going anywhere soon

Not to mention the recruiting class he has coming in!!!

Originally posted by bordertown

Billie Gillespie is rumored to be a top candidate to replace Stan Health at Arkansas per the Razorback Radio Network. Rationale is that Arkansas would be a step up in prestige, facilities and pay. Bill Self is rumored to be another target of Arkansas.

Stan Heath is not officially out at Arkansas, but must win the SEC tourney to keep his job.

Arkisaw might want him, but that means absolutely nothing. Why would Gillispie want to go there? A&M will pay him whatever he wants, the facilities at A&M will be top notch, and he is bringing in a stellar recruiting class to add on to a Top 10 team.

First of all, these names are put out there as guys they would like to have. It does not mean these guys would ever leave their respective schools or have even been contacted. As for Self, he left a great program in Illinois and came to Kansas which was higher on the job charts. Arkansas is not higher on the job charts than Kansas. Self will stay and so will Gillespie.

per the Razorback Radio Network

There you go right there.

Step up in prestige? Who has the top ten team? Arkansas was good for a few years in the early nineties and have done nothing since.

A&M is building a brand spanking new basketball facililty that will rival any school in the country.

He's not going anywhere.

Now you have to understand that I am Longhorn fan through & through....

However, I would seriously doubt that Coach Gillespie would consider leaving College Station after having built that program to where it is today...the facilities are top notch and as others have said - I imagine that he will get some serious "bumps" after this season when it comes to his contract!

By the way - WHAT A GREAT GAME LAST NIGHT!!!!! THAT is how basketball games are supposed to be played!!! :dancingbanana:

I dont know why billy would leave right now he is a god in aggieland, the players that he recruited are about to be implemented hes got the top texas prospect coming in in deandre jordan, they're upgrading his fascilities, and he can just about have any high school ball player he wants in the state of texas... to me arkansas would be a step down.

Originally posted by LJLPOP10

Why would Gillispie want to go there?

1) Quality of life - Fayetteville as a community has alot to offer. The surrounding area is scenic. The quality of life is good.

2) While I have no doubt A&M will reward Gillispie, the fact is he is one of the lowest paid coaches in the Big XII. Given what he had accomplished last year, maybe the administration tipped their hand that A&M was a "football school".

3) Historically, Arkansas has valued basketball. While I am a Big XII fan, the SEC is one of the top basketball conferences.

4) Facilities - Yes A&M finally got out of G. Rollie White. But in building Reed Arena, how commented were the Trustees basketball? The official capacity of Reed Arena is 12,500 but actually seats a bit more than 13,000. Frank Erwin Arena built in 1977 holds 16,750. In my opinion A&M under engineered a facility to handle a top notch university. In 1993 Arkansas built Walton Arena which holds 19,200. Which school has made a commitment to the program.

5) Recruiting - Gillispie is a recruiter. He will do well recruiting whether he is at A&M or UTEP. The question is at what school could he upgrade his recruiting to the level of Duke and UNC?

6) Transporation - Ease of getting in and out of the community. Fayetteville is serviced by 5 or six airlines with direct flights to a dozen cities. College Station all flights go thru Houston or DFW.

I am not saying Gillispie would consider Arkansas. But to think A&M is a basketball destination for a coach is a bit premature. Maybe he doesn't leave for Arkansas, but go to a school like Kentucky.

Originally posted by bordertown

4) Facilities - Yes A&M finally got out of G. Rollie White. But in building Reed Arena, how commented were the Trustees basketball? The official capacity of Reed Arena is 12,500 but actually seats a bit more than 13,000. Frank Erwin Arena built in 1977 holds 16,750. In my opinion A&M under engineered a facility to handle a top notch university. In 1993 Arkansas built Walton Arena which holds 19,200. Which school has made a commitment to the program.

A&M is building a new basketball practice facility that is supposed to be amazing. Plans are also in the works to figure out a way to expand Reed Arena...hopefully they realize they need more student seating.

A&M over the course of about 2 seasons has gone from a football school to a basketball scshool and it's all thanks to gillespie. I dont think arkansas will ever be anything but a foot ball school. (i know i know they won the ncaa chapionship in 94 but football is still king at that school)

As a person who covers Arkansas in a daily basis, I do not see Gillispie coming to Arkansas. But Border Town hit on a lot of great points. A&M is building a new "practice facility." Arkansas plays in a near 20,000 seat basketball palace. No comparison there. Arkansas is in the SEC ... generally a better basketball conference than the Big 12. As a native Texan, I see both sides of the issue.

Texas has waaaaaay more hoops talent. But national programs recruit national kids. Texas' two best players are from other states, correct? Arkansas has a lot of tradition (way more than any Texas school in basketball), but the key thing here is that Arkansas will be paying 2 coaches (Richardson and Heath) a lot of money from their buyouts. IMO it would take 1.3 million or more to get Gillispie. That would mean paying the BKB coach as much or more as the football coach. Like Nutt or not, I don't see the BKB coach making more than the FB coach.

So, can Arkansas pay a new coach 1.3 and continue to pay the buyouts of Richardson (1 more year) and Heath (3 years)? I don't see it. I think if Heath is canned, I'd look for someone from a mid-major, say the coach at Southern Ill., Wichita State or maybe Reggie Theus? Those are 3 coaches who would "fit under the salary cap" so to speak.

Just purely speculation at this point since Heath is still here, but in no way do I see Self or Gillispie coming here. You don't leave Kansas to come to Arkansas. If it were my call to make, I'd go after Mike Anderson from Missouri, the guy they should have hired to begin with. He's a Nolan clone without the Nolan baggage.

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone is tight-lipped here, but feel certain that a deal was struck with either Gillispie or another major coach before Heath was let go today. I don't see a mid-major hire, otherwise they'd have retained Heath. My gut feeling is that Gillispie is coming and the announcement will be made on Tuesday. I've been wrong before and could be again, but there are multiple very reliable sources within the program who say Gillispie is coming to Arkansas. Things could certainly change and A&M could come in with an outrageous offer. Either way, ole Billy Clyde is about to get PAID.

Originally posted by JAMCOACH07

A&M over the course of about 2 seasons has gone from a football school to a basketball scshool and it's all thanks to gillespie. I dont think arkansas will ever be anything but a foot ball school. (i know i know they won the ncaa chapionship in 94 but football is still king at that school)

Easy there coach. Dont get dilusional on us. A&M will always be a football school first. Even if, God willing, we rip off a couple BB championships FB will never play second fiddle in College Station. The same goes for Austin as well. Never happen. Aggies love football, no matter who the slimeball coaching the team might be.

I was in a meeting about 5 pm today, and one of the other guys there got a call from his son in Fayetville, who told him it was being announced on local TV there that Billy Clyde had been signed for $3 million a year. I came home expecting to find it on the TV and web, but haven't seen anything about it yet.