Did Karnack Drop their football program?

mindentigers

This may sound bad, but I think they needed to scrap it. They were not even close to competing and no one enjoys getting beaten by 80 points. Plus the community is behind basketball. I think they made the right decision focusing on what they have been good at historically.

I disagree that it is a good idea. They cost every team on their schedule a game. The non-district teams may get a fill-in, but it will be difficult in the middle of the two year realignment period. The district teams were really hurt, because they can't replace a game during district, all other opponents are also in district. The time to drop a program is at realignment, before schedules are set. This is going back on a promise. I assume contracts were signed and Karnack will have to pay a forfeit fee for not finishing the contract honorably.

Originally posted by 44stack

This is a great day in sports " you gotta know when to holdem--know when to fold em ":rocker:

Guess Karnack's welcoming committee will have to find a new job! And your promise not to go back is safe....at least for a while.

Originally posted by Buzzard

I disagree that it is a good idea. They cost every team on their schedule a game. The non-district teams may get a fill-in, but it will be difficult in the middle of the two year realignment period. The district teams were really hurt, because they can't replace a game during district, all other opponents are also in district. The time to drop a program is at realignment, before schedules are set. This is going back on a promise. I assume contracts were signed and Karnack will have to pay a forfeit fee for not finishing the contract honorably.

There are only 5 schools in that district and the way it's set up now in 1A three teams get to go to the playoffs. So with only four schools, three will make the playoffs. I'm not guessing anyone is going to be too disappointed in that open week.

Personally, I'm sad to see that program shut down. Karnack used to have a good program and a rich football tradition. The enrollment just keeps going down and it's gotten to the point where its just not safe to dress out and play 12 or 13 kids both ways for four quarters. They get beat down and tired and bumped and bruised. It's sad for the kids, but safety-wise it's probably a good move.

They started the last season with 22, I think. That was the most in the last five years. Not sure all of them made it through the season. Two years ago they started with 17 and by the time district started they had 9 left and had to forfeit the entire district season. They get them at the start of the season, but then grades and injuries take a toll on them. A team that starts with 30 kids can absorb some injuries and no-pass, no-play losses. Not a team with 17 kids.

And I'm not sure if 20 kids is average around the state for Class A, but in that district two years ago, they had Karnack in with Harleton, Big Sandy and Union Hill. All three dress out 30+ kids. And until this past season only two teams went to the playoffs. So it's like, what's the point. Everyone knew that Harleton and Big Sandy were going (except Union Hill) before the season ever started. Everyone else was playing for pride behind them.

Wow, that's very interesting. As I understand it, with the super Karnack has now, the ISD itself is in pretty good financial shape. The problem is declining enrollement. No kids, no federal money. So they may be in the red now (despite previous mismanagment) but not enough to build the kind of facilities needed to attract new families to the area. Admittedly, when I moved to the area a few years ago and my husband and I went looking at houses, if we'd been looking in Karnack and saw the shape of the school and facilities, we'd have looked elsewhere as well. In the meantime, they have to make do with what the have and what they have is a high school with a grand total of 65 kids. That's all four grades, not just seniors. Assuming half of them are female, you've got a maximum of about 35 boys to choose from. Let say 10-20% either don't want to play, are just plain too small to play safely (freshman, etc...) or aren't academically eligible. Now you're talking more like about 20 kids who are capable of playing the game ... in the WHOLE DANG SCHOOL! Sheesh. I feel so bad for them.

To natureboy, yes, their main program is basketball. But you only really need about 10 healthy boys to play basketball on the varsity level. Most of the kids who attend that school (boys and girls alike) have been dribbling a ball since they were toddlers. They team did poorly last year, but the program as a whole is a perennial playoff contender. So I'm sure that's where they will put their focus, and athletic budget.

Well, the closest six-man program to Karnack is in Leveritts Chapel. That's a tidy hike right there.

It's also the reason Karnack didn't decide to go six-man. After Leveritts Chapel they only get further from there and the travel costs would be astronomical.

Originally posted by bordertown

The following link should help. The superintendent that put Wilmer Hutchins ISD out of business came from Karnack. Apparently they suffered from his leadership.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...hews.11852.html

Leadership, or lack thereof, was the problem last year when I watched Karnack play. They have enough boys to play. Thay had some size and a little speed. They had as much talant as some other small schools that Ive seen. But, even as a fan, you could tell there was a lack of coaching. No hustle, and no one going full speed. I think with some encouragement, and a real football minded coach (not someone waiting on basketball season) they could win, at least, a few games. Ten years ago Carlisle didnt even score a point for the whole season, they didnt qiut. Alba-Golden has hung in there, and they won some games this year. I can remember when Overton won 3 games in three years, and within the next four years they won 40 games. So, unless its a money matter at the school, these kids should get a chance to play.

Karnack has only 66 kids in High School enrolled for next year and over half of them are girls. That would leave only about 30 boys to play football and that is everybody playing. Six man would be ideal and has been thrown around but Karnack is about the size of Avinger, and they are doing all they can do.