Clean Up - High School Sports Forum

bordertown

Could not find the thread on the Forum changeover. Overall it is fine, but I find the High School Forum is TOO cluttered.

Suggestion -

A. Rename the primary forum to "HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS" - Football, Basketball, & Baseball

B. Create a second forum "HIGH SCHOOL - OTHER" - To incorporate Band, Cheerleader, and other High School Sports

C. Delete "5A Sports"

D. Put the forums in order of popularity (Either Posts or Threads)

Comments - When you pull up the current forum you have to scroll through the minor forums to find the primary thread. I post on the minor threads frequently, but can see how this would frustrating to visitors to the forums. The 5A sports is too narrow for this board. Technically there are 4 East Texas 5A schools, which is the smallest group in numbers. I visit another site which separates by classes and find it is "too much work to go through all the forums to search for information and comments. If you think that the current format is too cumbersome, I would suggest a 5-A/4A forum and a 3A/2A/1A forum.

Thanks for the hard work in keeping these forums operating.

Bordertown

• 2 weeks later...

What about the spell check? I can not get it to work. I sure did use it a lot on the old format. Not only can I not spell, my big old fingers hit the wrong keys sometimes and spell check helped on both.

Sure is a goodlooking picture. Did they use to call you Wingnut? I knew someone from Whitehouse that favored that picture they called Wingnut.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This has [finally] been done. :)

I agree......i hate scrolling past all those other minor forums.....took me a week to figure out that there were posts below them.....

If you use Internet Explorer there is a "Spell Check" button you can use. It's to the right of the formatting bar - see attached picture.

The first time you use the button you will be prompted to download and install the ieSpell plugin. It's a safe and reasonably (for Microsoft) painless installation. It's an Active-X control, it seems to work pretty well.

If you are using Firefox you will have to use the built-in spell check or one of the many spell check extensions available for Firefox.

On the whole, spell checkers are resource hogs and I'd rather not install a 3rd party plugin into this forum at this time. Take a moment to read through your posts before pulling the trigger - couldn't hurt on several levels. ;)

Thanks

Daf

What about the spell check? I can not get it to work. I sure did use it a lot on the old format. Not only can I not spell, my big old fingers hit the wrong keys sometimes and spell check helped on both.

Sure is a goodlooking picture. Did they use to call you Wingnut? I knew someone from Whitehouse that favored that picture they called Wingnut.

post-1-1189033162_thumb.jpg

This will not be implemented any time soon. If everyone could be trusted to edit/delete responsibly I would turn it on in a heartbeat. That is not the case. With the old forum we had no choice - and people abused the function on a regular basis.

Sorry. Again - read through your posts before pulling the trigger. :mellow:

Post/Topic deletion by author. Headline modification.

• 1 month later...

It still needs some clean up.

Eliminate some of those tacks.

Start locking the dupes. Right now on the first page there are 3 Texas High threads, 3 Tatum threads, 2 Arp threads, and a couple of Gilmer threads. All duping each other.

I would add more mods to lock dupes and maybe even have a score forum for Friday nights that regular posters aren't allowed to start threads, just let them update scores in threads that are already started.

Most forums lock dupes to save bandwidth, but it also makes surfing easier.

Thanks for the great site.

• 4 years later...

View new content. What about having New Content as being the last 24 hours.

Sometimes i get on and it says no new post or only 5 new post in the last hour or two.

Gone for a couple days and post for 3 or 4 pages, some not new content but several days old.

It still needs some clean up.

Eliminate some of those tacks.

Start locking the dupes. Right now on the first page there are 3 Texas High threads, 3 Tatum threads, 2 Arp threads, and a couple of Gilmer threads. All duping each other.

I would add more mods to lock dupes and maybe even have a score forum for Friday nights that regular posters aren't allowed to start threads, just let them update scores in threads that are already started.

Most forums lock dupes to save bandwidth, but it also makes surfing easier.

Thanks for the great site.

Save us from more moderators - especially the homies and those dedicated to "fixing" Smoaky.com.

Smoaky.com is like several conversations going on at the same time on the sidelines of a high school football game. Some baloney, some duplication, some definite lies, and overall, good fellowship.

If you want organization and rationale, go read the telephone book.

Save us from more moderators - especially the homies and those dedicated to "fixing" Smoaky.com.

Smoaky.com is like several conversations going on at the same time on the sidelines of a high school football game. Some baloney, some duplication, some definite lies, and overall, good fellowship.

Good post Paradox. It's like the kid in High School that had alot of sense but always wondered why the kids (like us) who were full-o-bull always had more buddies.

• 3 weeks later...

View new content. What about having New Content as being the last 24 hours.

Sometimes i get on and it says no new post or only 5 new post in the last hour or two.

Gone for a couple days and post for 3 or 4 pages, some not new content but several days old.

I'll work on seeing what we can do, if anything. I appreciate the feedback.

Smoaky

Duly noted, thank you.

• 2 years later...