The Size of Jr. High Football Players these days ?

:shocked: I went to check-out my son's first 7th grade football practice in pads, just to see how he & his buddys were doing. Man, was I shocked! We have several kids that are nearly 6 feet tall & 200+ pounds, one over 250 pounds. I thought about seeing if the coach had carded a few of these youngsters. These kids are monsters.

Maybe I'm still seeing my son as a little boy, but at 5 ft 6 inches tall and 163lbs, I guess he grew up when I wasn't looking.

I can't remember kids being this big in the 80s.

With all that said, Is this good for our kids being this big so soon? Yeah, I understand the football angle on this and I'm sure the coach is grinning like a possum, but remember there is life after football.

:shocked: I went to check-out my son's first 7th grade football practice in pads, just to see how he & his buddys were doing. Man, was I shocked! We have several kids that are nearly 6 feet tall & 200+ pounds, one over 250 pounds. I thought about seeing if the coach had carded a few of these youngsters. These kids are monsters.

Maybe I'm still seeing my son as a little boy, but at 5 ft 6 inches tall and 163lbs, I guess he grew up when I wasn't looking.

With all that said, Is this good for our kids being this big so soon? Yeah, I understand the football angle on this and I'm sure the coach is grinning like a possum, but remember there is life after football.

My nephew plays on the Bullard 8th grade squad, and they have some size as well. He's behind the others in size, but he make's up in spirit. Your right, ook on up a few grades. Most varsity's average 275 across the front, and some even larger. I think there's something in the water.

I agree, it's scary

thinking about it and even more scary when you see the monsters line up. Some of the kids are so heavy that they can cause serious injury by just falling on someone. Your child being 5'6" and 163 lbs is certainly not small by know means, however, compared to some of the kids out there I'm sure he is.

No, kids did not use to be that BIG! A couple oy years ago I say an 11-13 yar old team from Texarkana play an All-Star team from Tyler, TX and they all were the biddest kids I had ever seen in my life. It looked like a high school game. In fact, the starting line for both teams were larger than my high school line (weight wise) when I played. There was one kid 6'4" 275 lbs, another about 5'9" 260lbs, 5'10" 250lbs, a couple others 5'9 to 5'11" 215 - 240 lbs. That was just the Texarkana side, the Tyler side overall was even bigger but not much.

I can't explain it!

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah you're right, they grow em big these days. Here is a pic from a couple of years ago when our 7th grade boys took our local peewee team and jumped into the Dallas area Texas Select Fotball League. I love this pic cuz it shows the size of the kifds these days, This was the running back for the (Texas Raiders) Junior division (7th graders).

I just remembered ... #14 in maroon really is just in the 7th grade this year "07".

Select_25.JPG

I can't explain it!

I can! You can thank major contributors such as The McDonald's Corporation, PepsiCo and Frito Lay for these "beast-like" kids. Welcome to the era of diabetes and heart disease. :thumbsup:

I can! You can thank major contributors such as The McDonald's Corporation and PepsiCo for these "beast-like" kids. Welcome to the era of diabetes and heart disease. :thumbsup:

Hey Rhino, I know what you're sayin but that stuff makes the big fat kids that can't move or breath on the field. I'm here to tell ya these boys were big, lean, bad and could flat move ... if they were really in the 7th grade. I guess we'll never know for sure. Hey, .. you jump in a league like that, you just go with the flow, hang on and do your best. It was pretty scary at first but it turned out to be fun and we did OK for a new team.

• 1 month later...

Our son just turned 14. He's 5'11" and weighs 153. He's played all sports since he was just a little kid, and he's serious about working out and eating right. He won't drink carbonated drinks anymore, and we eat balanced, nutritious meals at home. I hate to see these "big" kids who are really just fat and getting fatter. I agree with the person who said they are on a fast track to diabetes and heart disease, not to mention knee problems. Parents and coaches have to get involved in taking care of these young players so they can enjoy their sport and enjoy their lives when they move on...

• 1 month later...
My son just turned 14.

He is 5'5 and just passed the 100 pound marker.

He is very fast.

We celebrated when he passed 99 pounds!

:happy65:

My son just turned 14 is 5'9" and passed the 100 lb mark in 3rd grade. *lol* He's busting the scales at 230+ and is getting serious about lifting weights to get ready for his JV year next season. His 8th grade team was all a bunch of tall and sturdy guys.

One good reason kids are so enormous these days is the steady diet of bovine growth hormone in all the beef and milk. You can by BGH free milk at Braums, if you care to.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00068.HTML

This is a good read and argues against the BSH theory. I think that it has more to do with natural human hormones. Specifically the ones involved in puberty that ignite growth and body transformation. There are studies that argue our kids are maturing faster due to the constant barrage of "sex" that is crammed down the pupils and into their little brains. You dont have to look very far to see half naked bodies these days. The thought is that this "sex saturation" stimulates the glands which secrete these hormones earlier than they would if ones brain was not constantly stimulated. Next time yo go to a high school function observr the females as well. Of course dont get creepy with it our you may end up in the pokey LOL. Then ask yourself if that is what they looked like when you were in school. I feel pretty sure I know what your answer will be. My father is a vet for almost 40 years. I was skeptical about the FDA findings on BSH. However I respect his knowledge and he agrees.

Another theory is that.... Hey, we are in the steroid era. I have been out of school for 15 years. When I was a frosh, I had friends who were juicing. I cant imagine what may be happening now. I hope I am terribly wrong but it just may not surprise me if I were not. Scary cause I have kids who are getting close to this age.

• 2 months later...
I can! You can thank major contributors such as The McDonald's Corporation, PepsiCo and Frito Lay for these "beast-like" kids. Welcome to the era of diabetes and heart disease. :thumbsup:

Maybe they will become McDonald All-Americans someday. Eats the Big Mac in under 4.3, has the strength to tear open 6 ketchup packets at once

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00068.HTML

This is a good read and argues against the BSH theory. I think that it has more to do with natural human hormones. Specifically the ones involved in puberty that ignite growth and body transformation. There are studies that argue our kids are maturing faster due to the constant barrage of "sex" that is crammed down the pupils and into their little brains. You dont have to look very far to see half naked bodies these days. The thought is that this "sex saturation" stimulates the glands which secrete these hormones earlier than they would if ones brain was not constantly stimulated. Next time yo go to a high school function observr the females as well. Of course dont get creepy with it our you may end up in the pokey LOL. Then ask yourself if that is what they looked like when you were in school. I feel pretty sure I know what your answer will be. My father is a vet for almost 40 years. I was skeptical about the FDA findings on BSH. However I respect his knowledge and he agrees.

Another theory is that.... Hey, we are in the steroid era. I have been out of school for 15 years. When I was a frosh, I had friends who were juicing. I cant imagine what may be happening now. I hope I am terribly wrong but it just may not surprise me if I were not. Scary cause I have kids who are getting close to this age.

Its not very bad, have'nt had any touble at Hallsville atleast :thumbsup: