Can a Team Give up 71 points, and Then Win District?

hogwash

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it can happen and probably will. Tatum can win that district, but I think Elysian Fields will have a chance to keep it from happening. Other than the Yellowjackets, I don't think any of the other teams will match up very well with the Eagles. The biggest thing I've seen this year that the Eagles need to work on is conditioning, but I think by the time district rolls around they will be physically ready to make another run at the title. You also have to consider WHO they gave up 71 points to. They won't be running into any teams in that district with the size and depth Gilmer has.

Guest Bear_Den

Gilmer is just a great team and there's no other way to say it. Tatum does have a chance to win their district but they have to play smart and can't let 'Troup' sneak up again.

I think on the right night that a team like Tx high or highland park could hang 71 on Gilmer. I think we forget sometimes just how big the difference between those two schools is as far as enrollment is concerned. Gilmer isn't too far from being 4A. To answer your question yes they can win district and i would pick them to take it easily. Credit Tatum for scheduling these tough games early. Teams that do that are normally playing after thanksgiving.

Guest Bear_Den
I think on the right night that a team like Tx high or highland park could hang 71 on Gilmer. I think we forget sometimes just how big the difference between those two schools is as far as enrollment is concerned. Gilmer isn't too far from being 4A. To answer your question yes they can win district and i would pick them to take it easily. Credit Tatum for scheduling these tough games early. Teams that do that are normally playing after thanksgiving.

Tx High or Highland Park may defeat Gilmer but I doubt they will put up 71 points on them.

I know Tatum can go out and win district but they have to give it their all, that 71 points given up to Gilmer is irrelevant when talking about district play. Coach Evans needs to run the kids butts off to get them conditioned, but depth is the key....teams without depth will be in trouble against Tatum. The passing game looked great, but the O-line has to block better in the running game. Kinda hard to tell exactly where they stand though, Gilmer isn't a good team for a 2A squad to judge thier progression by, we should be able to tell a lot more in the next few weeks on where Tatum stands.

just because Tatum loses to an awesome 3A school doesn't mean they aren't good anymore. When they were on in the first quarter, they were pretty impressive. I don't think they lost anything in that loss, but gained a little experience and saw what they could do. I mean, they lost to the eventual district champs this year, nothing lost, little gained.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I understand your point, and agree to a degree, but please get your facts straight before you post. Gilmer is nowhere near the 4A enrollment figure of 950-1984 students. Gilmer's enrollment last year was 668.5, making them 281.5 students short of the 4A cut-off. That means Gilmer H.S. student population would have to increase by 42% just to reach the minimum number for 4A. Tatum's enrollment of 394 students is just 21 shy of the 415 needed for 3A. That means Tatum H.S. population would need to increase by only 5% to reach the minimum number for 3A.

Highland Park had 1,957.5 students, or 1289 more students than Gilmer. That makes HP 293% larger than Gilmer. Texas High had 1,719.5 students, or 1051 more students than Gilmer. That makes Texas High 257% larger than Gilmer.

Tatum had 394 students or 274.5 less students than Gilmer. That makes Gilmer 69.7% larger than Tatum.

So to compare Tatum playing Gilmer with Gilmer playing Highland Park or Texas High is nowhere near comparing apples to apples.

And while we're comparing numbers... Tatum's is the GIANT of district 19-2A. Here's the enrollment numbers of the other schools in Tatum's district and how they compare (percentage wise) to Tatum's enrollment:

Elysian Fields-311 (78.9%)

Troup-309 (78.4%)

Arp-298.5 (75.8%)

West Rusk-224 (56.9%)

Waskom-223 (56.6%)

Timpson-202 (51.3%)

Garrison-201.5 (51.1%)

I understand your point, and agree to a degree, but please get your facts straight before you post. Gilmer is nowhere near the 4A enrollment figure of 950-1984 students. Gilmer's enrollment last year was 668.5, making them 281.5 students short of the 4A cut-off. That means Gilmer H.S. student population would have to increase by 42% just to reach the minimum number for 4A. Tatum's enrollment of 394 students is just 21 shy of the 415 needed for 3A. That means Tatum H.S. population would need to increase by only 5% to reach the minimum number for 3A.

Highland Park had 1,957.5 students, or 1289 more students than Gilmer. That makes HP 293% larger than Gilmer. Texas High had 1,719.5 students, or 1051 more students than Gilmer. That makes Texas High 257% larger than Gilmer.

Tatum had 394 students or 274.5 less students than Gilmer. That makes Gilmer 69.7% larger than Tatum.

So to compare Tatum playing Gilmer with Gilmer playing Highland Park or Texas High is nowhere near comparing apples to apples.

And while we're comparing numbers... Tatum's is the GIANT of district 19-2A. Here's the enrollment numbers of the other schools in Tatum's district and how they compare (percentage wise) to Tatum's enrollment:

Troup-309 (78.4%)

Arp-298.5 (75.8%)

West Rusk-224 (56.9%)

Waskom-223 (56.6%)

Timpson-202 (51.3%)

Garrison-201.5 (51.1%)

I think this is hilarious. Check these numbers out. Gilmer had 668 while Tatum had 394. That is a difference of 274 students. Garrison being the smallest school in the district had 201. That is a difference of 193 between Garrison and Tatum.

Not even 200 students difference. " OH, it's so not fair for Tatum to be in 2A ". 3A schools out number Tatum worse than Tatum outnumbers 2A schools. Everybody gripes and complains about Tatum being in 2A but nobody gave Tatum props when they beat Hutto who outnumbered Tatum students 2 to 1. Tatum is too big to be in 2A and too small to be in 3A, maybe they should throw out their football program..... If I were from somewhere else in 2A, I wouldn't want Tatum in my district either... but on the other hand, last time Tatum was 3A, I wouldn't want them in my district then either... lol

GO GET 'EM EAGLES

I think this is hilarious. Check these numbers out. Gilmer had 668 while Tatum had 394. That is a difference of 274 students. Garrison being the smallest school in the district had 201. That is a difference of 193 between Garrison and Tatum.

Not even 200 students difference. " OH, it's so not fair for Tatum to be in 2A ". 3A schools out number Tatum worse than Tatum outnumbers 2A schools. Everybody gripes and complains about Tatum being in 2A but nobody gave Tatum props when they beat Hutto who outnumbered Tatum students 2 to 1. Tatum is too big to be in 2A and too small to be in 3A, maybe they should throw out their football program..... If I were from somewhere else in 2A, I wouldn't want Tatum in my district either... but on the other hand, last time Tatum was 3A, I wouldn't want them in my district then either... lol

GO GET 'EM EAGLES

Tatum_DirtyBird- You missed my point entirely. I was NOT criticizing Tatum in any way. All I was doing was trying to respond to someone's misguided claim that Gilmer is so much larger than Tatum, that it would be the same if Gilmer were to play a school the size of Highland Park or Texas High. The reason I used percentages to explain my points were because that's the only fair way to do it. Any math teacher will confirm to you that the difference between Garrison and Tatum is a larger percentage than the difference between Tatum and Gilmer!!

Troup-309 (78.4%)

Arp-298.5 (75.8%)

West Rusk-224 (56.9%)

Waskom-223 (56.6%)

Timpson-202 (51.3%)

Garrison-201.5 (51.1%)

Sorry, Tatum is huge and gilmer is small

You get my point anyway i hope. I apologize to everyone on here for not spending my Sat. night looking up school enrollment figures on the UIL website. I'll never post again!

By the way who was the half a kid from Gilmer?