Fall Ball vs. Football

I am a firm supporter in kids playing as many sports as possible and I think that kids should play a sport if they enjoy it. But where I have a problem is when kids get hurt playing Fall Ball baseball and are lost for the season for Jr High Football. There was a kid who started at safety for Gladewater in the seventh grade who is now out for the year because he broke his arm playing Fall Baseball. What are you thoughts on the situation?

Well I think School Athletics should take precedence over any other sport activity.

A lot of schools don't have school baseball for Jr. High. Do you make your kid choose? Say baseball is truly "his" sport, but he wants to play football also. Do you deny him that?

The same thing could happen in high school. We'll say the student plays volleyball and basketball...gets hurt playing volleyball. Does that change your argument?

Lots of variables....

A lot of schools don't have school baseball for Jr. High. Do you make your kid choose? Say baseball is truly "his" sport, but he wants to play football also. Do you deny him that?

The same thing could happen in high school. We'll say the student plays volleyball and basketball...gets hurt playing volleyball. Does that change your argument?

Lots of variables....

It doesn't change my argument because this is not baseball season. If they want to play baseball they can play in the summer. This is football season.

It doesn't change my argument because this is not baseball season. If they want to play baseball they can play in the summer. This is football season.

And I suppose Spring football would take precedence over spring baseball??? Does that change your argument? Maybe you could clear it up a little if you just said football takes precedence over all sports. If that's your opinion, I understand, but at this point, I'm not really sure where you're coming from.

And I suppose Spring football would take precedence over spring baseball??? Does that change your argument? Maybe you could clear it up a little if you just said football takes precedence over all sports. If that's your opinion, I understand, but at this point, I'm not really sure where you're coming from.

Spring Football doesn't take precedence over spring baseball you make the chose what your kid plays. I think you can burn a kid out when they play multiple sports at the same time. Your comparing apples to oranges. If I had to choose between a school track meet and a spring football game I would have to go with the track meet. School athletics should take precedence over Little league, Pop warner, Spring Football, Little Dribblers, or anything else you can think of. Did I make myself clear that time.

If a high school kid gets hurt playing football in the fall, chances are he'll be healed up in time for baseball season. On the other hand, if he gets hurt playing fall baseball, he's out for the entire football season. That's why you shouldn't play fall baseball if you play high school football. You can't blame coaches for getting upset!

I'm thinking on a high school level with my examples and I guess I got off track from the original post. I was thinking High school spring football vs. high school baseball, or volleyball vs. basketball. You cleared it up with how you feel about playing multiple sports and the statement about school sports over community organized sports. My mistake- I misinterpreted the purpose of the post.

Wasn't trying to ruffle feathers, just trying to understand.

I'm thinking on a high school level with my examples and I guess I got off track from the original post. I was thinking High school spring football vs. high school baseball, or volleyball vs. basketball. You cleared it up with how you feel about playing multiple sports and the statement about school sports over community organized sports. My mistake- I misinterpreted the purpose of the post.

Wasn't trying to ruffle feathers, just trying to understand.

No problem.

I think you should let the kid decide what he wants to play. My son use to play fall ball, but after playing baseball for 8 months straight he got burned out to the point that he nearly didn't play in the spring. He now just plays whatever sport is in season.

Guest texpal22
I'm thinking what does the baseball coach say when his players get injured playing football?? :huh:

my thoughts exactly

I coach Fall Baseball and have coached it for the last 9 years and had kids from Gilmer when they were in Junior High on my Team and none of them ever missed Football because of an injury, or Vice versa. However if the kids like both sports and continue to do both i dont see what the trouble is as long as his grades dont become an issue or behavior. Some kids are better ballplayers than football players and play junior high football because there friends are or u go to a school like Gilmer which has alot of success. I guess if the parents and the kids want to do it, i dont see what the problem is. Again thats just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

With football and baseball basically being available to play at the same times, the biggest issue I have with it is where kids never try another sport. Such as a kid plays almost year round baseball. They don't try football so they don't know if they like it or not. The awesome pitcher for fall ball may be an awesome QB for football or vice versa, etc. The best thing parents can do is to get their child to try each sport, you never know they may be awesome at more than one sport or they may love the new sport they try. There is nothing really wrong with specializing in one sport unless there are no chances for other sport experiences.

The burn out issue is something also. The child may be a great player but if they get burnt out they won't get to that next level in high school where it may earn them a scholarship.

My oldest son loves football. He enjoys baseball and basketball. He participates in all of them. Each sport gives him more experience and knowledge for him to use as he goes along, not to mention each sport is a different type of physical activity working some different muscles with each different sport.

As a former coach I think that school sports should take precedence over fall baseball, little-league football, etc. If I were you I would get them in the gym and start showing them how to become a real athlete. PLAY BASKETBALL, this will help them in all sports.

My son is playing jr high football, because that's pretty much what all (most) boys do in Jr High. But he plays fall ball too, because ultimately when he gets to high school that's what he wants to play and will in all likelihood not play football. He wants to get as many reps in with baseball as he can to give him the best shot to play varsity baseball for the school when he gets to high school.

Now when there is a conflict between the two sports, the fall ball coach is aware that school takes precedence, and there are several boys in the same position, so it is common knowledge. But that doesn't keep them from playing both.

What if the kid gets hurt riding his bike, skateboard, go cart, etc. . . .

Tell the kids they must wear the football pads while doing other activities?

A coach and/or sponsor always thinks the activity they are involved in should be priority.

How does an adult teach a kid how to share and be fair when the adults refuse to follow the same rules?