Overated and underated teams in 2A

TigerDeuce

Don't get so defensive gee whiz! I just told you why we didn't try to schedule ya'll. But we have been fairly good since the mid 80s first title didn't come till 2005, but we went deep in the playoffs many times before that, state one other time and lost. If Winnsboro is getting better good for them, as I said on another thread I will be the first to eat my words if they go deep in the playoffs, all I said was when Coach Evans scheduled the games ya'll didn't look like much of a challenge for the team we had at the time. Besides ya'll probably wouldn't play us anyway by choice. We will have our lean years at some point then you can have your fun with me, but while we are at the very top I will talk like it. :happy65:

i think a winnsboro tatum game would be fun to watch :phone: :phone: :phone:

i think a winnsboro tatum game would be fun to watch :phone: :phone: :phone:

It might be, my initial reply to BigRedFan was that we didn't schedule them because they didn't look competitive when we scheduled our games. That is why we didn't play them this year. Coach Evans like to schedule tough pre-district opponents, if he can get them, so that when district rolls around we have all the kinks worked out and are ready for another run. A regular season loss doesn't hamper us much, although the Gilmer one this year did hurt lol.

How did this thread come to me and BigRedFan arguing about this? The truth is neither will probably ever play each other, so unless BigRedFan comes back with something I feel deserves a rebuddle I'm done on this topic.

I was not even talking about the last two years' schedule but was referring to future games. Winnsboro will be good for at least the next two years. I am not arguing just stating as you my position. When the last two years schedules were made Winnsboro had trouble just holding their heads above water. In 2006-2007, Winnsboro has won 17 out of the last 20 games and will have had two playoffs appearances. They were one and done last year and who knows what this year will hold. I really could care less if Winnsboro ever plays Tatum or the other teams mentioned.

How did this thread come to me and BigRedFan arguing about this? The truth is neither will probably ever play each other, so unless BigRedFan comes back with something I feel deserves a rebuddle I'm done on this topic.

BigRedFan has this effect on people. She's a very avid defender of her team. Actually, Winnsboro playing Tatum this year may not be as far-fetched as people think. Region 2 is not nearly as heavy as Region 3 (IMO) and even so, Winnsboro is a tough team that could see themselves against Tatum for the championship. I think that would help establish the winning tradition that BRF is looking for and perhaps secure some tough opponents for pre-season play. Course if Winnsboro chokes and comes up short, it will take another year (this time beating Hughes Springs) to get the recognition and respect that BRF has demanded.

Overated and underated deals strictly with how the team is ranked (based on logic, equations, wins, strength of schedule, coaching, returning players, previous years performance, etc) with how good the team actually is. Saying a team is overrated or underrated by definition implies defying logic and arguing for a team based on emotions, gut feelings, or other intangibles that are not accounted for in the ranking system.

By this definition I think (personal opinion only) the following teams are overrated:

Tatum - Returning state champs. Spanking a number of teams this year. Good athletes. However that Gilmer loss still sticks in my mind and making me think they are slightly overrated. I think this year's team more prone to an upset in playoffs then last year. Don't get me wrong, there still an incredible team and program and have a shot for a title, but this thread is what it is.

Elysian Fields - The above applies as they were beat by Tatum. A great program this year that is steam rolling the competition. However much 19-2a contenders preach they have the toughest district in the state I'd say 17-2a would be well matched all the way down. Other than EF and Tatum, not much in this district to really showcase how good these 2 teams really are. As I result, I feel they are slightly overranked, but still a heavy contender.

Teague - Perhaps I'm being a little tough on this team. The intangibles I see is that they beat Paul Pewitt 33-8. Thats a solid win. However, there are alot of teams that have beat Pewitt by as much or more. I know matchups vary, but again, this thread defies typical equation logic and asks posters to go with their gut. I think Teague is a solid team, but would run into problems in other districts.

Mart - Same as above. Time honored football tradition. This team brings home the trophies. Logically looking at all the data, they are rightfully ranked. I don't think they are any better then Tatum, EF, DF, HS, Winns. Personal opinion, gut feeling, whatever.

Underated

Daingerfield - Had a bad game against Tatum. Both teams didn't look up to snuff (irregardless of score). Got beat by Gilmer but gave the Gilmer team their closest game of the season (even though it was still 35-12). Been playing solid ball. Look for this team to match up well in 2nd round playoffs with 19-2a (either Tatum or EF). Going to be a heartbreaker for one of those teams.

Hughes Springs - As many polls as have Winnsboro up, in head to head HS beat Winnsboro this year and last year giving winnsboro their only losses for the regular season both years. Last year, district was so tough they didn't make playoffs. Had a rough loss to a decent Queen City team where they fumbled the ball multiple times giving them the win. Also lost big to Daingerfield. Otherwise, solid. Look for this team to come out of the blocks running. I see them giving Mart fits 3rd round. Another heartbreaker game for both teams.

Winnsboro - As much flak as they have gotten, I think this team could potentially make the State Championship on Div 1. Gut feeling mostly, but maybe its because their only loss was to a team which I think is much better than most people realize (Hughes Springs).

Honestly I think I could put these 7 teams in a hat, shake it up, pull out matchups, and each game would be close one.

Please don't be offended by my post, this is strictly subjective and opinion. You could argue all day with logic and reason and you would be right (thats what rankings are for). Since this is for the over or under rated teams, it is what it is.

BigRedFan has this effect on people. She's a very avid defender of her team. Actually, Winnsboro playing Tatum this year may not be as far-fetched as people think. Region 2 is not nearly as heavy as Region 3 (IMO) and even so, Winnsboro is a tough team that could see themselves against Tatum for the championship. I think that would help establish the winning tradition that BRF is looking for and perhaps secure some tough opponents for pre-season play. Course if Winnsboro chokes and comes up short, it will take another year (this time beating Hughes Springs) to get the recognition and respect that BRF has demanded.

Overated and underated deals strictly with how the team is ranked (based on logic, equations, wins, strength of schedule, coaching, returning players, previous years performance, etc) with how good the team actually is. Saying a team is overrated or underrated by definition implies defying logic and arguing for a team based on emotions, gut feelings, or other intangibles that are not accounted for in the ranking system.

By this definition I think (personal opinion only) the following teams are overrated:

Tatum - Returning state champs. Spanking a number of teams this year. Good athletes. However that Gilmer loss still sticks in my mind and making me think they are slightly overrated. I think this year's team more prone to an upset in playoffs then last year. Don't get me wrong, there still an incredible team and program and have a shot for a title, but this thread is what it is.

Elysian Fields - The above applies as they were beat by Tatum. A great program this year that is steam rolling the competition. However much 19-2a contenders preach they have the toughest district in the state I'd say 17-2a would be well matched all the way down. Other than EF and Tatum, not much in this district to really showcase how good these 2 teams really are. As I result, I feel they are slightly overranked, but still a heavy contender.

Teague - Perhaps I'm being a little tough on this team. The intangibles I see is that they beat Paul Pewitt 33-8. Thats a solid win. However, there are alot of teams that have beat Pewitt by as much or more. I know matchups vary, but again, this thread defies typical equation logic and asks posters to go with their gut. I think Teague is a solid team, but would run into problems in other districts.

Mart - Same as above. Time honored football tradition. This team brings home the trophies. Logically looking at all the data, they are rightfully ranked. I don't think they are any better then Tatum, EF, DF, HS, Winns. Personal opinion, gut feeling, whatever.

Underated

Daingerfield - Had a bad game against Tatum. Both teams didn't look up to snuff (irregardless of score). Got beat by Gilmer but gave the Gilmer team their closest game of the season (even though it was still 35-12). Been playing solid ball. Look for this team to match up well in 2nd round playoffs with 19-2a (either Tatum or EF). Going to be a heartbreaker for one of those teams.

Hughes Springs - As many polls as have Winnsboro up, in head to head HS beat Winnsboro this year and last year giving winnsboro their only losses for the regular season both years. Last year, district was so tough they didn't make playoffs. Had a rough loss to a decent Queen City team where they fumbled the ball multiple times giving them the win. Also lost big to Daingerfield. Otherwise, solid. Look for this team to come out of the blocks running. I see them giving Mart fits 3rd round. Another heartbreaker game for both teams.

Winnsboro - As much flak as they have gotten, I think this team could potentially make the State Championship on Div 1. Gut feeling mostly, but maybe its because their only loss was to a team which I think is much better than most people realize (Hughes Springs).

Honestly I think I could put these 7 teams in a hat, shake it up, pull out matchups, and each game would be close one.

Please don't be offended by my post, this is strictly subjective and opinion. You could argue all day with logic and reason and you would be right (thats what rankings are for). Since this is for the over or under rated teams, it is what it is.

it took me long enough to read this....i agree for the most part.... :happy65:

haha Tatum and E.F overrated you've got to be crazy to think that by all means, the Gilmer loss did nothing but make us stronger yea it was a devastating loss but thats why they're 3A and we are 2A(i mean if you were at the game look at how many players are on tatums sideline vs. gilmers) , no matter how bad they beat us we still have won 2 titles in a row and making another run at a third, E.F has a great team with most of thier startes returning from last year with a very good offense/defense and a good chance at winning the D2 title..... you dont get ranked top 5 in the state and be overrated if thats the case, then is gilmer overrated too??

There is no way tatum is overated.. thats ridiculous. If you win TWO state championships back to back, and making another one for a threepeat, yea ok i guess you can say they are overated ha ha yea right.. But all we talk about in Dfield is having that rematch game with tatum, if we go big school, then we will get that rematch in the second round. Im looking forward to that game if we get a chance too, that game should be a very interesting and fun game to watch.

There is no way tatum is overated.. thats ridiculous. If you win TWO state championships back to back, and making another one for a threepeat, yea ok i guess you can say they are overated ha ha yea right.. But all we talk about in Dfield is having that rematch game with tatum, if we go big school, then we will get that rematch in the second round. Im looking forward to that game if we get a chance too, that game should be a very interesting and fun game to watch.

Ya'll seem to have turned things around in Dfield, hope we get that rematch so we could watch a good game between two ET football teams rich with tradition. But we both gotta make it past the first round first, can't be thinking ahead that's how you lose ballgames.

Ya'll seem to have turned things around in Dfield, hope we get that rematch so we could watch a good game between two ET football teams rich with tradition. But we both gotta make it past the first round first, can't be thinking ahead that's how you lose ballgames.
Yea your exactly right.. Perfect example (Cowboys vs. Bills) .. But if we both make it past the first round, and if we go big school, that second round playoff game might be one for the ages. Either way it goes, We are going to have a very tough second round, either playing Tatum of EF.. Looking forward to either of them. Getcha popcorn ready! :happy65:

Shoot yea that would be a good game to see. Its gonna be playoff time. You can throw records and who beat who out the window. This is the time of the year that OK teams turn good and GOOD teams turn GREAT. But as always it can be the other way. The one when good teams just arent good enough. Goodluck to everyone.

I think Jefferson is a little underated. D'field is also underated. They are not the same team that lost to Tatum and Gilmer. They are a team now.

wow. thanks. Jefferson has had a good team these past few years and I do think they are capable of more than others seem to think but when it comes to football there are always surprises.

If Dfield go's big shool then Jefferson and Dfield will meet up in the first round of the playoffs, that should be a great and interesting game to watch.

Unless I am wrong, it will be New Boston as big school rep in 17-2A , Daingerfield #1 seed in small school and Hughes Springs #2 seed in small school. Daingerfield is district champs, with NB and HS tying for second. I believe D'field will open the playoffs with New Diana, Jefferson and New Boston, and Hughes Springs and Harleton.

Unless I am wrong, it will be New Boston as big school rep in 17-2A , Daingerfield #1 seed in small school and Hughes Springs #2 seed in small school. Daingerfield is district champs, with NB and HS tying for second. I believe D'field will open the playoffs with New Diana, Jefferson and New Boston, and Hughes Springs and Harleton.

It looks like Daingerfield vs. Jefferson in Div. I. New Boston is in trouble.