153 members have voted

1. 1. who wins it?

• Gilmer
    • LE

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to the poster from Gilmer who mentioned something about how "no one will play them...I bet Jeff has called your school..." (paraphrased), I'd suggest that Gilmer play UP, rather than down. If you are genuinely that talented, test your kids against a team "more equal"...has Gilmer played many 4A teams, or even a 5A? If your team is so frightening that no one will put you on their schedule, LOOK UP. There will always be a bigger team that will play you. I've seen many coaches that use this philosophy when scheduling. Play somebody better than you... see how well your kids handle tough situations and become stronger. It might not keep your W/L record quite as pretty, but it will prepare your kids. JMO

jefferson couldnt hang...plus gilmers non dist. is just fine

In response to the poster from Gilmer who mentioned something about how "no one will play them...I bet Jeff has called your school..." (paraphrased), I'd suggest that Gilmer play UP, rather than down. If you are genuinely that talented, test your kids against a team "more equal"...has Gilmer played many 4A teams, or even a 5A? If your team is so frightening that no one will put you on their schedule, LOOK UP. There will always be a bigger team that will play you. I've seen many coaches that use this philosophy when scheduling. Play somebody better than you... see how well your kids handle tough situations and become stronger. It might not keep your W/L record quite as pretty, but it will prepare your kids. JMO

Do you not think Gilmer has tried that? In years past we have played some 4a teams. We have destroyed them so most of the ok 4a teams don't want to play us since they don't want to lose. We have a history of playing D-field and Tatum, since they were 3a up until 2 years ago, so they agreed to continue to play us. Gilmer has tried to schedule many good 4a teams and some 5a teams. They don't want to take the risk of getting beat by a 3a team because if they play a 3a team they should win b/c they are bigger, so even beating Gilmer doesn't really help them. But if they lose to Gilmer it is bad b/c they should have won, even if Gilmer is one of the best in 3a. In the mind of many people, 4a or 5a should always beat 3a. Those teams really want to avoid that scenerio so they wont schedule Gilmer. (Other teams, not just Gilmer, have had or are having this same problem.) Gilmer even tried to schedule Evangle (sp?), but they didn't want to play us either, but they told us that other school from LA was looking for a game and that is how that game came about. I promise, Gilmer would love to play more 4a, even 5a teams on ocassion, but there don't seem to be many willing to take that chance. So if you are reading this and you think your team can hang with Gilmer, tell your coach to give Jeff a call this year, I'm sure they can find a spot for your team.

I'm pretty sure there will be at least two quality 4A teams on Gilmer's schedule after realignment. I honestly don't think there are too many 4A teams in East Texas who would consider it playing down if they were to schedule Gilmer in pre-district. By the same token, I don't think it's fair to say that Gilmer played down when they scheduled a couple of 2A teams when you consider who they are. Tatum, at the time the schedule was made, was the defending 3A Division II state champion, now a back-to-back (possibly back-to-back-to-back) state champion. Then there's Daingerfield which is a rivalry that goes back many years and is a playoff team that has a chance to make some noise in the playoffs. I do think it would've helped the Buckeyes if they had scheduled some 4A teams these past two years. It would certainly have better prepared them for any kind of adversity they may face in the playoffs. I would rather have adversity in pre-district than in the playoffs because if you don't overcome it in the playoffs you go home.

garrison,our #2 team spring hill beat the #1 team PG

last year your #1 team (Gilmer) beat the snot out of the #1 team (Atlanta) but lost to the #2 team (LE) in the playoffs!!!!!!! So what does that say? Absolutley nothing, preseason and district games mean nothing when the playoffs begin. right now everyone is 0-0, if you get to __ -1 you are finished

Kind of a dumb question but I don't know your schedule but does Gilmer play Evangel? I know T high does and it is always a good game.

As for playoffs this week, I am rooting for our neighbors in LE but I also know Gilmer has it's sights set on a revenge match and will play to win as will LE.

last year your #1 team (Gilmer) beat the snot out of the #1 team (Atlanta) but lost to the #2 team (LE) in the playoffs!!!!!!! So what does that say? Absolutley nothing, preseason and district games mean nothing when the playoffs begin. right now everyone is 0-0, if you get to __ -1 you are finished

we werent talking about playoffs,you all were talking about the weak district were in,read it again maybe you will understand

we werent talking about playoffs,you all were talking about the weak district were in,read it again maybe you will understand

Gilmer is in a weak district, and LE's district is no powerhouse either....only thing I was pointing out is pre district and district games mean nothing at this point....its win or go home, now maybe you will understand

LE by 8

39-31

LE did play weak teams but Gilmer's was way weaker. LE's JV could have beat Gladewater and their in the playoffs.

Actually, that is not correct. According to Masseys Ratings, Gilmer's schedule was TOUGHER than L/E's.

Also, one interesting thing. According to MaxPreps, Gilmer jumped 23 places to #23 in the country. We all know maxPreps is'nt near as accurate as Massey's, just thought it was interesting.

Actually, that is not correct. According to Masseys Ratings, Gilmer's schedule was TOUGHER than L/E's.

Also, one interesting thing. According to MaxPreps, Gilmer jumped 23 places to #23 in the country. We all know maxPreps is'nt near as accurate as Massey's, just thought it was interesting.

How is that LE played Sulpher spings and Mt. Pleasant, and 2 more 4a schools and Gilmer played no 4a schools a good 2a school and mediocre 3a schools, LE's record shows they played a hard preseason and both Gilmer and LE played weak district.

they way to beat gilmer or at least slow them down is to establish a running game on them and control the ball. so far nobody's been able to do it. the closest team so far has been D'field. one thing i will give LE is that their defense while not HUGE is cat quick and able to run to the ball in a hurry. also James looked very healthy friday night against the rabbs. he was slow getting going in the 1st half but once he got cranking in the 2nd there was no answer for him. he's fast, he's shifty and he's a strong runner. if he gets to the outside it's 15 yards before you get to him.

he will test gilmer's defense. LE can throw the ball, not as good as last year but they can throw it and get some yards on it. if LE can establish a ball control offense and keep Gilmers offense off the field for extended periods of time then the Leopards can play with them. but LE's defense is going to have to get pressure on the gilmer QB and nobody's been able to do that all year. LE's DBs can run with Gilmers WR's and may be able to disrupt their timing. it'll be a tough night for the leopards but they can hang with them if they don't loose focus and stick with the running game. they don't want to get into a shoot out with a spread offense like gilmers, thats a recipe for disaster. plus the fact that the LE coach has TWO state championship rings so he's used to playing in big games and knows what it takes to play in them.

don't count LE out yet.....

How is that LE played Sulpher spings and Mt. Pleasant, and 2 more 4a schools and Gilmer played no 4a schools a good 2a school and mediocre 3a schools, LE's record shows they played a hard preseason and both Gilmer and LE played weak district.

I don't know. Just going by what they say. They are the ones who have all the statistics. Basically, they think Gilmer would beat those teams by a larger margin.

I think Gilmer is comparable to Sulphur Springs, which beat L-E by 3 TDs. If the Leopards play better it could be close and down to the wire, but I see Gilmer as being too much this season. Gilmer needs to understand L-E's 5-5 record is totally deceiving in regards to their ability. However, the Leopards have not played well 2 weeks in a row all season and that sort of inconsistency is going to end their season. Wouldn't it be something if L-E and Gilmer end up in the same district next year. It's a longshot, but a possibility. I still don't believe this year's Gilmer team is as good as last year's team.

I think Gilmer is comparable to Sulphur Springs, which beat L-E by 3 TDs. If the Leopards play better it could be close and down to the wire, but I see Gilmer as being too much this season. Gilmer needs to understand L-E's 5-5 record is totally deceiving in regards to their ability. However, the Leopards have not played well 2 weeks in a row all season and that sort of inconsistency is going to end their season. Wouldn't it be something if L-E and Gilmer end up in the same district next year. It's a longshot, but a possibility. I still don't believe this year's Gilmer team is as good as last year's team.

Hey Why would u say that Gilmer is not better than last year, have u seen the difference in the defense this year and the defense last year, while we are not as fast, imo our defense is more disciplined this year and dont make as many mistakes. Our Offense is a little harder to stop this year because stump Godfrey can run and throw the football and the offense line has added another year of experience together, plus with Bus and Jeremy Jackson in the backfield, both can go the distance at any time. LE will bring it and it will be one heck of a game this Friday night, so i plan on the Buckeyes doing the same. Go Buckeyes and Go get em tigers

The question should be, "Can Gilmer survive the playoffs without Kinne?"

why is that a question...the one playoff game they played with kinne they got beat...i like how they rely more on the run than the pass this year. it fits high school football soo much better than a pass first offense...and yes gilmer is still a high school team believe it or not. lol. but that is the reason they will go deeeeep in the playoffs...60% run 40% pass.

I have seen LE in person and watched film on Gilmer twice. IMO Gilmer is better, but if LE can keep the ball away from them it is anybody's ball game. LE will have a great game plan to maximize the talent of James. They find ways to get the ball in his hands with blockers in front of him and they will throw out some funky formations to get it to him also. You can say just find James and you find the ball and just stop him, but that is a lot easier said than done! I dont think LE can stop Gilmer on offense. My prediction Gilmer 34 LE 26. The Buckeyes have to tackle James and that is a hard task to accomplish. Good luck to both teams this Friday, hope the game is played injury free.