Longview City League Basketball

Games started last Saturday, Jan. 5th. The boys 10-under division has 14 teams this year, it's exciting to see so many teams. I didn't get a chance to see all the teams play, but it looks like it will be pretty competitive. Our Pine Tree Pistols won their first game and I know the White Oak young guns won, if anybody has scores feel free to post them. I would also like to hear from other divisions, both boys and girls. Good luck and have a fun year.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking forward to the city league this year. I have seen those Young Guns play and I can't wait to watch them play the other teams in the league. They will empty the other Pistols and take their bullets away from them so that the Pistols will be firing nothing but blanks. Didn't I notice that the Pine Tree team had a kid from Spring Hill playing on it? He seemed to be their best player.

I am looking forward to the city league this year. I have seen those Young Guns play and I can't wait to watch them play the other teams in the league. They will empty the other Pistols and take their bullets away from them so that the Pistols will be firing nothing but blanks. Didn't I notice that the Pine Tree team had a kid from Spring Hill playing on it? He seemed to be their best player.

Very interesting for your "FIRST" post on Smoaky. Let me help you on two things: 1) The Young Guns have played the Pistols in the past and haven't come close to winning. Nothing about this year is going to change that. 2) The best player on the Pistols is from Pine Tree and it is not even close. In fact he is the best player in the entire league.

Bigneck, I know you are just trying to stir the pot. All of our players are from Pine Tree except one guy. The box score for our game looked like this.

Zac Spears 26 points 3 out of 5 from three point (Pine Tree)

Mason Hayes 14 points (Pine Tree)

Luke Shepperd 12 points (SH)

Bushe Morgan 8 points (Pine Tree)

Josh Mixon 4 points (Pine Tree)

Jackson Gore 4 points (Pine Tree)

We won our game 68-6 and it could have been 100-6. I felt that we did everything we could to not run the score up. Hey smooth 64, it was great to see some of the gilmer boys playing this year. We play the young guns on the 19th at 3:00, I'm going to let the players play the game on the court and not run my mouth like Bigneck. The only person I saw from White Oak at our game was the coach of the Young guns, Todd Weeks, and I think he has too much class to get on here and run his mouth. Good luck!

Bigneck, I know you are just trying to stir the pot. All of our players are from Pine Tree except one guy. The box score for our game looked like this.

Zac Spears 26 points 3 out of 5 from three point (Pine Tree)

Mason Hayes 14 points (Pine Tree)

Luke Shepperd 12 points (SH)

Bushe Morgan 8 points (Pine Tree)

Josh Mixon 4 points (Pine Tree)

Jackson Gore 4 points (Pine Tree)

We won our game 68-6 and it could have been 100-6. I felt that we did everything we could to not run the score up. Hey smooth 64, it was great to see some of the gilmer boys playing this year. We play the young guns on the 19th at 3:00, I'm going to let the players play the game on the court and not run my mouth like Bigneck. The only person I saw from White Oak at our game was the coach of the Young guns, Todd Weeks, and I think he has too much class to get on here and run his mouth. Good luck!

i don't think you need to run your mouth either, the team you have will be very strong and i feel they will do all your talking for you. i have seen all those kids play and it will be very hard for anyone to beat that team. their fundamentals are way ahead of everyone else. i noticed they put a very young spring hill team in the upper division which i know is a huge mistake, they are not ready for that level of competition. they have some good athletes but they are much younger and have not played enough to be ready for these kind of teams. good luck to all these kids .

I didn't run my mouth at anyone. If you will read my original post I was just stating how excited I was to have a lot of teams in that age division. As far as being younger, I know my son is a 4th grader and I have some other 4th graders on our team. The SH team will be fine, Gary does a good job with them. Did you see the Sabine team play this weekend? We play them this Saturday. Good luck!

I didn't run my mouth at anyone. If you will read my original post I was just stating how excited I was to have a lot of teams in that age division. As far as being younger, I know my son is a 4th grader and I have some other 4th graders on our team. The SH team will be fine, Gary does a good job with them. Did you see the Sabine team play this weekend? We play them this Saturday. Good luck!

I KNOW YOU DIDN'T RUN YOUR MOUTH I DIDN'T MEAN TO IMPLY THAT YOU DID. AS A MATTER OF FACT YOU STATED YOU WOULD KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND LET YOUR BOYS PLAY ON THE COURT DO THE TALKING WHICH I LIKED THAT COMMENT. I WAS ACTUALLY TRYING TO STOP ANYONE ELSE FROM STARTING TO TALK NOISE ON DIFFERENT TEAMS. THESE ARE ALL KIDS AND THERE ARE SOME REALLY GOOD TEAMS IN THIS DIVISION AND I WISH THEM ALL TO HAVE A GOOD EXPERIENCE.

I KNOW YOUR SON IS A 4TH GRADER HE DOES NOT PLAY THE GAME LIKE ANY OTHER 4TH GRADERS I HAVE SEEN. AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED HE IS A VETERAN ON THE COURT AND BY FAR THE BEST KID IN THE LEAGUE THAT I HAVE SEEN.

YOUR CORRECT GARY DOES AN OUTSTANDING JOB WITH THESE BOYS BUT THESE KIDS HAVE NOT PUT IN THE PRACTICE TIME IT IS GOING TO TAKE TO PLAY AT THIS LEVEL AND ALSO A FEW OF THE KIDS ON THIS TEAM IT IS ONLY THEIR FIRST YEAR TO PLAY. THEY WILL PLAY HARD AND THEY WILL GIVE IT THERE ALL BUT THEY WERE BETTER SUITED FOR THE LOWER DIVISION.

I DIDN'T SEE SABINE PLAY BUT I HEARD THEY WERE GOOD. I WOULD BE SHOCKED TO SEE THE PISTOLS LOSE WITH THE LINEUP I SAW YOU POST.

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS I DIDN'T MEAN ANYTHING BY THAT MY COMPUTER WAS ON CAPS LOCK AND I DIDN'T WANT TO RE TYPE IN LOWER CASE . I'M A ROOKIE ON TEXT MESSAGING AND COMPUTER POSTING BUT I REMEMBERED MY DAUGHTER TELLING ME CAPS MEANS YOU ARE YELLING AND I'M CERTAINLY NOT YELLING.

I saw the Pistols, and was very impressed. You don't see a lot of High School teams who are as fundamental as that.

I saw no mouth running on the original post either. Trust me, Dandylions can let the actions of his kids speak for themselves. I truly admire the work ethic of his kids. All of the Pistols can play well, PT looks to have a bright future.

Dandy you can't worry about those folks who are jealous. If they would get out and spend 2 hours a day on getting better with theirs, then maybe they wouldn't feel as inadequate.

I know how proud you are of your kids Dandy, just remember anything you put on Smoaky will be perceived as bragging. But we who know you understand the passion you have for ALL youngsters to be great. I have watched the PT hoopsters, I have seen you offer to stay with anyone who is willing to stay, I have seen you offer your time to many from PT. Some have taken you up and others haven't.

I appreciate all you have done for mine. I see all the compliments you make to other athletes on this and other boards. Dandy don't worry about those you can't control.

I look forward to watching your kids in the future. How did you get two kids that are that unbelievable? OH that's right, 2 hours a day.

I also want to offer my support as well. You handled BigNeck's post with class by only posting a box score and keeping your mouth shut. Your kids are where they are because you invest your time with them. It is funny when I hear others get jealous about your kids. Heck, you run a great hoopsters program at Pine Tree teaching these others kids what you have taught your own. I spend lots of time working with my kids but when they get tired of me I bring them over to see Daniel Lions. He has spent many a hour working with and encouraging my boys. Dandy, you are a great ambassador for the game, you have a great passion for ALL kids that want to learn but the best thing I can say is that your are a great father to your kids. Keep doing what you do and never worry about the detractors.

I saw the Pistols, and was very impressed. You don't see a lot of High School teams who are as fundamental as that.

I saw no mouth running on the original post either. Trust me, Dandylions can let the actions of his kids speak for themselves. I truly admire the work ethic of his kids. All of the Pistols can play well, PT looks to have a bright future.

Dandy you can't worry about those folks who are jealous. If they would get out and spend 2 hours a day on getting better with theirs, then maybe they wouldn't feel as inadequate.

I know how proud you are of your kids Dandy, just remember anything you put on Smoaky will be perceived as bragging. But we who know you understand the passion you have for ALL youngsters to be great. I have watched the PT hoopsters, I have seen you offer to stay with anyone who is willing to stay, I have seen you offer your time to many from PT. Some have taken you up and others haven't.

I appreciate all you have done for mine. I see all the compliments you make to other athletes on this and other boards. Dandy don't worry about those you can't control.

I look forward to watching your kids in the future. How did you get two kids that are that unbelievable? OH that's right, 2 hours a day.

i agree with you he has put in the time with his kids on the court and his kids are seeing that work pay off. i think that is great it teaches them that hard work pays off not only in sports but also in life. it is the same as when other parents tell you, you have great well mannered kids "you are so lucky". well my statement is luck has nothing to do with it, committment has something to do with it, spending time with them and talking and communicating with them has something to do with it.

i wasn't trying to say i was jealous or felt inadequate because i am neither.

i was simply saying in my orginal quote that i agreed with daniel that he didn't need to talk about his team that his team would do all his talking for him. i didn't want others to start bashing ANY of these teams or kids.

thanks for you comments Milnyk and Cornbread. My goal is to have all the kids enjoy the game and have fun. We have a pretty good group of boys, but you never know what will happen with 10 and 11 year old kids. Spring Hill plays White Oak this weekend and I think it's neat that these kids will be playing against each other in High School in a few years. From what Bigneck said, it looks like White Oak has the team to beat this year and the pistols don't have a chance. I just hope they don't have to turn the scoreboard off when we play White Oak. The LA Stars are very athletic and coached by Derric Morrow, they always play us hard. Hey Milnyk, Spring Hill will do better than you think, those guys are well coached, competitors, and pretty good athletes themselves.

I understand what you are saying Milnyk, I have read your responses and you always been complimentary of others.

I was mainly responding to BigNeck and his remarks. We know he is just trying to stir up Dandy. That was what I was refering to.

It should be a great game between the two teams, maybe Bigneck will let us know how it turns out.

I just noticed that Milnyk is back from the dead. He had not posted in a year. Welcome back Milnyk. We called off the rescue dogs six months ago and changed your case from a search and rescue to a recovery mission. LOL. How are things in SH? What grade are your kids in now? Hope all is well and welcome back. Don't stay gone so long next time.

I just hope and pray mine will have that same want to as Minta and Zac. I truly believe you can't MAKE them work at it, but they must want to work at it. There are way too many athletes going through the motions. I hope mine WANT to be good.

But until they figure it out, I will be glad to make that decision for them. And yes I will give them every opportunity to be the best while they are young, because when they get in JR High and HS, they will be ready.

I see many girls or athletes lose that want to, and start going through the motions.

Like I said I hope mine keep that WANT to.

I just hope and pray mine will have that same want to as Minta and Zac. I truly believe you can't MAKE them work at it, but they must want to work at it. There are way too many athletes going through the motions. I hope mine WANT to be good.

But until they figure it out, I will be glad to make that decision for them. And yes I will give them every opportunity to be the best while they are young, because when they get in JR High and HS, they will be ready.

I see many girls or athletes lose that want to, and start going through the motions.

Like I said I hope mine keep that WANT to.

You hit the nail on the head. Mine say they want to be good so we have a plan. I try to encourage them to do their ball handling and shooting drills everyday. Most days they really want to but there are days when they want a break so they just play. My oldest one is just now getting to a point that he reminds me about doing his drills. I want him to want it for himself not me. As long as THEY WANT to be good, I too will give them every resource and opportunity to be successful. But the drive must come from them.

Good luck to your Bearettes tonight. Who you got? Canton or Athens?

I just noticed that Milnyk is back from the dead. He had not posted in a year. Welcome back Milnyk. We called off the rescue dogs six months ago and changed your case from a search and rescue to a recovery mission. LOL. How are things in SH? What grade are your kids in now? Hope all is well and welcome back. Don't stay gone so long next time.

snowbird,

yes i have been gone for a year but i have read from time to time. i couldn't resist posting because i felt like someone was taking a shot at daniellion for no reason and i know how strong his team is. he had done nothing to deserve that shot. so i put my two cents in. i guess its sorta like gambling its best not to make that first bet or the temptation will always be there and i had to take the temptation and make my first post in over a year.

things in S.H. are fine, i guess like any other community we have a tremendous amount of positive things and we also have some negative things but overall it is a great place to raise your kids.

snowbird,

yes i have been gone for a year but i have read from time to time. i couldn't resist posting because i felt like someone was taking a shot at daniellion for no reason and i know how strong his team is. he had done nothing to deserve that shot. so i put my two cents in. i guess its sorta like gambling its best not to make that first bet or the temptation will always be there and i had to take the temptation and make my first post in over a year.

things in S.H. are fine, i guess like any other community we have a tremendous amount of positive things and we also have some negative things but overall it is a great place to raise your kids.

Good to see you back. How is basketball season going for your kids?

Milnyk, I am going to finally get to watch the SH girls varsity team play tonight at Sabine. I'm looking forward to it. Kayla and Shannon are really doing a great job this year. It is really fun to see the girls grow up and play in high school. As far as the Longview City League goes, it is fun, but the main thing is for the kids to learn the game and how to be good sports on and off the court. As I get older I am trying to enjoy the journey and teach the game. I want the kids to have a positive experience and when they get older and play in High School they will remember these days as "the good ole days". Don't get me wrong, I am still very competitive and want to win, but not at all cost or humiliating anyone. Good luck tomorrow against that very strong White Oak team, sounds like they should win it all this year.

Milnyk, I am going to finally get to watch the SH girls varsity team play tonight at Sabine. I'm looking forward to it. Kayla and Shannon are really doing a great job this year. It is really fun to see the girls grow up and play in high school. As far as the Longview City League goes, it is fun, but the main thing is for the kids to learn the game and how to be good sports on and off the court. As I get older I am trying to enjoy the journey and teach the game. I want the kids to have a positive experience and when they get older and play in High School they will remember these days as "the good ole days". Don't get me wrong, I am still very competitive and want to win, but not at all cost or humiliating anyone. Good luck tomorrow against that very strong White Oak team, sounds like they should win it all this year.

glad to hear your going to get a chance to see their game tonight. your correct both those girls have had a good year. Kayla has been real consistent all year. she had a real good game against Gladewater and Chapel Hill. she has loved playing with all her teamates and has loved the competition level. you talk about being a wreck, i'm a total wreck in the stands watching her. i still try to tell her before the game all the little things she needs to do and she says o.k. dad i know you've told me the same things since i was 5.

i agree with you on the city league you know i'm for all these kids and this is where they learn and develop their game. i worry that these S.H. boys are in a division they have not been prepared for with the hours of work needed. i know you are competitive and you know i am competitive we battled many years ago when Minta and Kayla were playing church ball against each other. it took me a minute and a half to switch to a box and one against yall. i know when we play yall you will play hard and give us your all but i also know that you will pull the reins back if you need to just like you did the year you had me totally outclassed and had me down 17-0 and kayla was the only one to try and break your press. i remember you calling them off and falling back into the zone. we need all the luck, stars lined up,4 leaf clovers in the world against this division.

good luck to the pistols.