What's you favorite sport and why?

hoops4life

To watch - I love watching any sport my kids are playing. The list has run the full range from volleyball, football, basketball, golf, baseball and softball.

Right now it's basketball season.

To play - I enjoy golf. Even though my daughter told me I have to spend some time on the range if I want to play with her!! :cry:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Football by a mile. Great High school cereer, won a National Title in college.

Like Basketball as well.

Teams and years?

Guest bleedsbluengold24

To watch: Collegiate baseball. Best on the planet.

I like football, but I don't know that I would consider myself a football fanatic. I didn't watch a down of either conference championship game and there's a good chance I won't watch the SB. On the other hand, I drove 525 miles each way four times this season to watch the team of my son's university play, then to their bowl game.

As far as a sport to play, I enjoy playing golf, although I tend to struggle at times.

EDIT: Oh, and I enjoy collegiate basketball. In fact, I guess collegiate sports are my favorite. I'm fast losing interest in most pro sports, although I do enjoy driving to Frisco to watch the Rough Riders.

1. Baseball -- No sport comes close to its combination of history and game beauty. Is there a football equivalent of a no-hitter ? Eddie Gaedel? Mark Fidrych? Satchel Paige? Triple Play? Hitting for the cycle? Doubleheader? No, there isn’t...

2. Hockey -- UNFAIRLY stereotyped and the subject of arrogant flippancy in this part of the country. Your loss – its like chess on ice :D

I have too many fond memories of following football in my youth to completely reject the sport, but I find the modern era uninteresting & more style over substance...

I'm also glad to see no one (as of yet) has jumped on the "Racing is not a sport" bandwagon.

Yea, anytime you do something and can exert enough energy to loose 6 lbs in 3 hours...........I think it comes under the heading of sport. Every "pro athlete" from other major sports that have tried it have sworn NASCAR drivers are athletes.

Guest imyahuckleberry

To watch- College Football, Pro Football, March Madness, NBA playoffs, Baseball playoffs if one of my favorite teams are involved and any of the Four Majors in Golf.

To play- golf, basketball, baseball, pool, horseshoes and Texas Holdem.

Yea, anytime you do something and can exert enough energy to loose 6 lbs in 3 hours...........I think it comes under the heading of sport. Every "pro athlete" from other major sports that have tried it have sworn NASCAR drivers are athletes.

Not diminishing what these guys do but an out of shape fat dude could drop 6 lbs in 3 hours by sitting on his behind in a sauna.....

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again.

There is no game more intricate, more interesting or more exhilarating than the greatest game in the world.

Not diminishing what these guys do but an out of shape fat dude could drop 6 lbs in 3 hours by sitting on his behind in a sauna.....

the key word in the post was exert.........the act of putting forth effort, to use energy to accomplish a goal...ie win the race and avoid the big one

To watch- College Football, Pro Football, March Madness, NBA playoffs, Baseball playoffs if one of my favorite teams are involved and any of the Four Majors in Golf.

To play- golf, basketball, baseball, pool, horseshoes and Texas Holdem.

With one exception, I have to agree with imyahuckleberry. Can't listen to the squeaky shoes of March Madness until the very, very end. Definitely NBA playoffs, especially if the Spurs or Suns (or anyone who can beat the Lakers!) are still in the hunt. I enjoy the World Series and the last day of the four golf majors.

I love playing golf. Not very good at it, but that's the thrill of the game - always knowing that the next shot could be the one that will keep you going back to the course again and again and again! I don't care how many sorry shots are hit - one good one ... that's all it takes!

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again.

There is no game more intricate, more interesting or more exhilarating than the greatest game in the world.

That is correct, Terence. Baseball, Ray, baseball. History rich and the tradition is timeless. :notworthy: :happy65:

Ice hockey, hands down is my favorite! I like the passion, speed and physical play.

To me, hockey offers the best championship playoff series of all the sports. It has the coolest championship trophy as well. When a team wins the Stanley Cup each member will have their name inscribed, in silver on the Cup. Those names will remain on that Cup for the next 102 years before the ring is retired. When that ring is retired...it is moved to the Hall of Fame for display...forever.

I really enjoy watching the goaltenders. Goaltending is one of the most difficult positions to play in any team sport and I see it as a sport within a sport. At its highest levels it is an art form and a thing of beauty.

Hockey is also my favorite sport to attend in person as TV does not do it justice.

PS:

56th NHL All-Star Game - Sunday, Jan. 27 | 5 p.m. on Versus

Baseball - Baseball - Baseball

The last few years I have learned to love volleyball

Basketball (having to put up with the officiating drops it to #3)

Golf (I love to play simply because Im so old no one will allow me to play on their team in any other sport)

Football

Tyler NASCAR (When the courthouse was in the center of the square all of the turns were left. Only problem was the red lights and the officials in their black & white cars)

Tyler NASCAR (When the courthouse was in the center of the square all of the turns were left. Only problem was the red lights and the officials in their black & white cars)

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ours in Waco was the race on Valley Mills Drive to Lakeshore Drive (tricky around that Lake Waco curve), through Bellmead (our officer's name was Scooter), hang a left and take the shortcut to I-35 (miss the drunks coming out of the bars in no-man's land), pick up speed on I-35 back to Valley Mills. My father always said I should have been a race car driver - I was only caught ONCE! (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

Guest CNOrtega

It used to be baseball, but the Rangers ruined it for me. I set in search of another favorite sport and was swept off my figurative feet by the artistry, the creativity, the passion, the pinnacle of athelticism that is, as most Americans would say...

...soccer.

Give me an English Premiership match, or a Spanish La Liga match, or even an MLS match over anything MLB, the NFL, or any other league can put out there. Still respect the other sports, but I am totally 100% a soccer fan.

• 2 years later...