Best HS Baseball Coach in East Texas

THEROMO

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bear_Den
I don't see enough of them to make a choice as best, but from the opposing coaches that I've seen in the last 3 years I like:

Hector from Gilmer; Marrs from PT; Pirtle from Lee(not an opponent but I go to Lee games when I can); Hawkins from Van; and Priest from Canton; All of these guys approach the game the right way and act like professionals. I also like Touchstone from CH.

I agree with Coach Marrs. He did a great job with the Gladewater baseball program during his few years there. He's a good man and loves his Dr. Pepper

You're right Wave - I have forgotten a couple

Most likely to have football lines in his outfield - John Idrogo - formerly at C. Hill

Best Dog Trainer - Dennis Beavers - asst at Bullard

Hey watch the way you talk about the BEAV, let me remind you there is no bashing on the website and i will turn you in.

I agree that Jim is one of the best in the area (I'm partial also). However, give credit where credit is due. He is a great coach "in spite of Priests' influence, not because of it!" He has proven since his beginning year that he knows how to get the most of his kids; not berate them. He seems to do his job without the parent/bias that so often interferes with good judgement. Jim is indeed a fine example for the kids and we are fortunate that he is our head coach.

Who's Jim?

Coach Hardy from quitman has to be one of the best coaches in the game. How many coaches do you know would put there life on the line to coach the game because they love the game and they love their players. Some people may not like him but the man has heart. He has to coach with an oxygen tank because he has trouble breathing how many coaches would do that. HE puts it all on the line for the game and for his team. Now the other night the quitman bulldogs watched as there coach fought for them when they got a game stolen from them. He yelled until he couldn't breath anymore. He was already having trouble breathing but yet he yelled and fought for his team. No matter how you feel about the man you have to tip your hat to him. He loves the game and his team.

Ronnie Dent doesn't need any love. :)

I like to gauge baseball coaches on how much I enjoy just sitting and talking baseball with them. By that criteria, I've enjoyed Dent, Robbie Surratt (formerly of Lindale), Scott Lee (formerly of Carthage), Rocky Baker (formerly of Henderson), Gus Harmon (Gladewater, formerly of Robert E. Lee and Hemphill) and Dwight Thomas (formerly of Arp).

Great man, and GREAT coach. He is greatly missed there I can assure you.

Coach Hardy from quitman has to be one of the best coaches in the game. How many coaches do you know would put there life on the line to coach the game because they love the game and they love their players. Some people may not like him but the man has heart. He has to coach with an oxygen tank because he has trouble breathing how many coaches would do that. HE puts it all on the line for the game and for his team. Now the other night the quitman bulldogs watched as there coach fought for them when they got a game stolen from them. He yelled until he couldn't breath anymore. He was already having trouble breathing but yet he yelled and fought for his team. No matter how you feel about the man you have to tip your hat to him. He loves the game and his team.

I do agree he yelled the entire game...at the umpires....and took a pretty rough spill there at the end....all for "the game and for his team"? And PLEASE do not say the game was stolen from ya'll!!! The umpires made close calls that went both ways! It's amazing...you win, it's all in the coaching and the team....you lose, it's the umpires fault!

He is more of a man than you will ever be. Yes Quitman had chances to win and did make some mistakes but at the end of the game the bulldogs fought back and had the game stolen from them rather you think so or not.

prodigy,

first, I never attacked you nor did I attack your coach, so lay off the childish junior high comments....unless of course he is more of a man than me and quite frankly, he may be!

Quitman should have won the game, I agree....but it was NOT stolen from them. How many walks did Quitman give up? the homerun the GS kid hit wouldn't have been a 3-run shot if he hadn't given up two walks prior to that at-bat! How many errors did Quitman make? YES, the umpires were NOT very good -- I AGREE!!! In case you don't know -- THEY ARE A PART OF THE GAME!!!! But you can not say that the game was STOLEN when you had EVERY opportunity to put GS away!!!

Good luck in the playoffs!!!

prodigy,

first, I never attacked you nor did I attack your coach, so lay off the childish junior high comments....unless of course he is more of a man than me and quite frankly, he may be!

Quitman should have won the game, I agree....but it was NOT stolen from them. How many walks did Quitman give up? the homerun the GS kid hit wouldn't have been a 3-run shot if he hadn't given up two walks prior to that at-bat! How many errors did Quitman make? YES, the umpires were NOT very good -- I AGREE!!! In case you don't know -- THEY ARE A PART OF THE GAME!!!! But you can not say that the game was STOLEN when you had EVERY opportunity to put GS away!!!

Well i thought when you said that he was yelling at the umpires and then fell you were downing him. And yeah like i said quitman did have chances to win. They had three errors and plenty of walks so yeah they had their chances but when the game was on the line quitman fought back just like coach hardy has taught them that no matter when there is only one out left you have a chance and they fought and had it stolen from them at the end. Granted they had chances before that inning but thats part of the game to you make mistakes no one is perfect and they overcame their mistakes and fought back in the last inning only to have it STOLEN from them.

prodigy,

No offense man but u wanna talk about childish but how immature is it to get on a site n make fun of a man whos overcome a lot to get where he is for falling in the heat of a big moment and u dint attack him?...well tell me what that was bc for the life of me i cant think of ne other explanation for it. and yes calls do go any way that's baseball but u can't tell me that if hs had a call where the kid slid into first and was pushin himself up and the first baseman caught the ball and low and behold were in gs the kid was called out ud be gripin about it 2. Tell me if im wrong... Quitman dint make many errors if ne i think it was 2, and there were a few walks granted but if u find a game where a pitcher doesn't walk its either gun be really bad or extremely good for that team. N yeah ppl from quitman r gun say that they were cheated bc in the last gs quitman game gs got ahead and quitman fell apart. n they grew n came back in round 2 n whether u like it or not Peek is safe at first and quitman scores shack and lizembe n then we get to c if gs can come back n tie it....thanks good luck to ur team 2

Well i thought when you said that he was yelling at the umpires and then fell you were downing him. And yeah like i said quitman did have chances to win. They had three errors and plenty of walks so yeah they had their chances but when the game was on the line quitman fought back just like coach hardy has taught them that no matter when there is only one out left you have a chance and they fought and had it stolen from them at the end. Granted they had chances before that inning but thats part of the game to you make mistakes no one is perfect and they overcame their mistakes and fought back in the last inning only to have it STOLEN from them.

I reread my post and I could see where you thought I was downing him.....i didn't mean it that way though. They did fight back in the last inning....it was a good game to watch!! Nothing like high school baseball!!!

No offense man but u wanna talk about childish but how immature is it to get on a site n make fun of a man whos overcome a lot to get where he is for falling in the heat of a big moment and u dint attack him?...well tell me what that was bc for the life of me i cant think of ne other explanation for it. and yes calls do go any way that's baseball but u can't tell me that if hs had a call where the kid slid into first and was pushin himself up and the first baseman caught the ball and low and behold were in gs the kid was called out ud be gripin about it 2. Tell me if im wrong... Quitman dint make many errors if ne i think it was 2, and there were a few walks granted but if u find a game where a pitcher doesn't walk its either gun be really bad or extremely good for that team. N yeah ppl from quitman r gun say that they were cheated bc in the last gs quitman game gs got ahead and quitman fell apart. n they grew n came back in round 2 n whether u like it or not Peek is safe at first and quitman scores shack and lizembe n then we get to c if gs can come back n tie it....thanks good luck to ur team 2

What???? Can anyone understand this?? I know the English teachers at Quitman can't be this bad.

I'm not going to get into debate with student.....these are just one person's opinions, so don't get so worked up about it.

I don't know your head coach personally (just what I've seen from watching several games), but just because have or have had health problems to overcome, doesn't give you a free pass to say and do what you want to in a game! I never attacked him, I just said I hated to see how they (both coaches) acted...that's all. I believe I even stated that I didn't know what I would do I were in their shoes....don't read too much into what someone types! Because you don't know me either!

I never said that it wasn't a bad call!! From where I was sitting he DID look safe! But, it wasn't my call, it's the umpires call! They made questionable call all night....BOTH WAYS!! Whats the old saying....if" if's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas"!! We can't go back and change anything....I still believe Quitman should have won it! but they didn't!

Thanks to WINNSBORO you have chance to win the disrict...GOOD LUCK IN THE PLAYOFFS!!

We can't go back and change anything....I still believe Quitman should have won it! but they didn't!

Thanks to WINNSBORO you have chance to win the disrict...GOOD LUCK IN THE PLAYOFFS!!

End of conversation. back to the original topic. Luce needs to be mentioned as a great coach.

This should be the question….Define Coach, Great Coach, Good Coach

I bet all answers will be the same, just worded different. If a coach has a loosing year at one school and leaves, then wins the state game at another school his ability of coaching didn’t change it's just he had better athletes. So it would be hard to describe who is the best coach…It all comes to having good athletes. i