Shoutbox

Guest CNOrtega

Guest CNOrtega

I think having a shoutbox (like the Oaks Tavern has) would be a great idea, especially during HS football season. It would cut down on the one or two word posts. Quicker and easier way to keep those who aren't at the game posted.

Sorry - late seeing this - :unsure:

I will look into it, as time permits, and get with Smoaky about adding it if it is a feasible project. I will say, tho, that my philosophy is and will continue to be that less is best on these forums - as far as "plug ins and add-on features" - this being based on our previous forum. The forum before our big upgrade was a bit tricked and it really showed in performance.

Thanks

Daf

PS - Big thanks to Bleeds for his service to the forums, we are sorry to see him go as a moderator! Hopefully we will continue to see him as a member. :)

Guest CNOrtega

Is it an issue of not enough bandwidth, not enough funds, or is it another issue altogether. Less is not more. Less is usually less. If less were more, then it would be called more. But it's not more, so it's less.

Is it an issue of not enough bandwidth, not enough funds, or is it another issue altogether. Less is not more. Less is usually less. If less were more, then it would be called more. But it's not more, so it's less.

NO - less is more. :) Less is more convenient for purposes of maintenance. Less is more convenient for purposes of version updating. Less is more conducive to smooth operation of both the SQL database and bandwidth throughput (as you mentioned).

That is not to say the Shoutbox in particular would violate my "less is more" philosophy - I think it is a rather low resource application - the matter is simply up for review. If you feel very strongly that it's a much needed addition here I would suggest that you send Smoaky a message and put your vote in for it.

Thanks

Daf