The Slot-T offense

On 4/1/2009 at 2:23 PM, BillyClydePuckett said:

i think its a great offense but it dont help the kids get to the next level. you can run it on the highschool level but not college or the pros. run an offens that can send some kids to college instead of misdirection all the time. Dont get me wrong if it works then run it but the kids are not getting look at on the college level for it foreal.

Not once in twelve years of coaching and three times twelve years of being a coaches son and grandson have I heard of a college NOT recruiting a kid because of the scheme they played while in HS.

Of course that is just me.

The first schools that come to mind with this type of offense, Navy, Air Force and they compete and are successful, even against Major University’s. I am just a fan of the run option, Veer etc. at any level. Don’t watch the NFL any more and have not over the last three seasons.  I have been close to a few recruits and none were recruited based on HS offense or Defense. Focus was on Athletic success and ability along with work ethic and grades.

Thats correct, have to use the backs on passing routes as they will be hard to defend once all the fakes are carried out on your play-action passes. Will have to make sure uncovered lineman block backside. This may not be right but it sounds good.

1 minute ago, upullinmychain said:

All them running games look good till some big ugly nose guard starts a whooping up on the center... Then it starts getting real, real fast.. Double team him with back side then inside lb goes beast mode.. Offense is done. 

That's exactly what we did to Vidor last yr at home, game was basically over after the 1st quarter. 

5 hours ago, astrodog14 said:

Jobs I think and lack of progrssive growth in some towns at the facility/academic level.

Standard rule applies- if you build it they will come.  In many ways.

LK is an academic powerhouse compared to Pewitt and Dfield. That will look good on the Pewitt Sup's resume. 

17 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Drives can last 6-8 minutes if they don’t deviate from the main plays. Down 2 TD’s it’s gonna take a quarter and a half to tie if your d can get a couple of 3 and outs. 

The problem lies in the fact that a run only team just does not work on passing the ball much in practice and thus not much in game either.  If you fall behind two scores and have to get out of your game plan and what the kids are most comfortable with the odds are not in your favor.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Yeah we’ve been there on more than occasion. I like how Hughes Springs throws the ball fairly often. Maybe we will this time around. 

As a coach you can’t expect your kids to execute in the passing game if you seldom practice it and don’t use it in game situations when the pressure is on.  

Lots of folks criticize Surratt for going for it on 4th and forever during regular season games at Carthage.  But when the pressure is on during the playoffs and we need the first down it’s not a big deal to the kids because they have done it many times before during the season.  It’s just another play they have to execute.  

30 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

As a coach you can’t expect your kids to execute in the passing game if you seldom practice it and don’t use it in game situations when the pressure is on.  

Lots of folks criticize Surratt for going for it on 4th and forever during regular season games at Carthage.  But when the pressure is on during the playoffs and we need the first down it’s not a big deal to the kids because they have done it many times before during the season.  It’s just another play they have to execute.  

Last year in the playoffs Canyon Lake trailed LV in the playoffs, and when push came to shove and they had to throw the ball, Canyon Lake hard time stringing any thing together.