Why Football will ALWAYS be more popular than Baseball

KirtFalcon

OH, NO -- another Baseball-football thread ? :wacko:

C'mon -- it's Christmas Eve ! :whome:

I love George Carlin & that is a classic bit, but PLEASE remember that popular and superior are mutually exclusive concepts ;)

^ keep in mind that this was written by Thomas Boswell circa 1987 -- a few of the entries are obsolete, most are not.

Allow me to add:

100. No one has ever watched the World Series just to "see the commercials"

101. Baseball doesn't have to stop and clear the field and let the pitcher take a running start toward the catcher and unfurl a 90 mph pitch from point blank range to win the game. Why change the rules and change the normal way that a game is played just to break a tie. Just go to the 10th inning and send up your lineup versus my lineup and play the game til one team scores the winning run.

I love both games. I anticipate football games more, because they are only played once a week. In Baseball, I watch the first two months, maybe catch the All-Star game which ended in a tie, check on it from time to time, then wait for September. The action in football destroys the slow pace of baseball.

I'd rather watch a 99 yard touchdown run with 10 men on the offensive side, an 80 yard bomb for a T.D. than any Grand Slam or Walk Off Home Run. I liked watching Earl Campbell break tackles, the grace of Tony Dorsett, or the perfect upright running of Eric Dickerson. I love the touchdown dances of Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson, Ocho Cinco, and Terrell Owens. Watching the acrobatics of Lynn Swann, Jerry Rice, Lance Alworth, Fred Biletnikoff, and James Lofton. I'd rather watch a perfect spiral on a pass than a knuckleball, the spin on a curveball, or a 110 mph fastball.

Give me the bone crunching hits on almost every play, than "Charlie Hustle" running over Ray Fosse. I prefer when a player hurls the football into the stands, than when a player flips the ball to a fan. Give me cheerleaders scantily clad than a goofy mascot. (Another reason the Cowboys need to get rid of Rowdy). The Wave while it does need to be retired, looks better at a football game than at a baseball game.

I love to play baseball, but I love to play and watch football. Even if it's a video game.

103. Baseball has a 179 billion game season....

Oh yay!!!, this mid-season game I'm paying a ton to go see will be so meaningful at the end of the season!!!!

It's better than the Pro Bowl, but that's not really saying much. What All-Star game has been that exciting ?

103. Baseball has a 179 billion game season....

Oh yay!!!, this mid-season game I'm paying a ton to go see will be so meaningful at the end of the season!!!!

Believe it or not, they all matter.

Football has the 'wow' factor, and the popularity. Baseball has so many intracacies and hidden situations that make it all the more exciting.

But give me a game-winning home run over a game-winning field goal any day.

Both sports are, by far, my favorite to watch/follow.

If I were given only one more day to watch either, it would be football. For me, there's alot of emotional "bang for the buck" while watching my favorite football team.

If I could only watch one sport the rest of my life, it would be baseball. I like the regularity of the schedule, the history of the sport, the great venues, enjoying a dog and a brew, and the traditions associated with the sport (most of them anyway).

Baseball is the most reasonably-priced of the four major team sports. Settle down :getlost:

Thats cause you have 162 opportunities to see your team play. Quantity instead of quality is never a good idea! :thumbsup:

Had nothing to do with the point of my post. Stay focused!! :notworthy:

You where pointing out how incredibly expensive it is to go to a MLB game, correct?

Then why in the world would you mention it ??? :ermm:

All MLB games are part of a continuous flowing river that makes up the beauty of Baseball history.

I am sorry that the attention span of most football fans only lasts as long as the next scheduled game !! :w00t:

You where pointing out how incredibly expensive it is to go to a MLB game, correct?

Then why in the world would you mention it ??? :ermm:

All MLB games are part of a continuous flowing river that makes up the beauty of Baseball history.

I am sorry that the attention span of most football fans only lasts as long as the next scheduled game !! :w00t:

Good for you. I'm sure you probably like to watch paint dry as well. :thumbsup:

The same applies to football. Watch Tony : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yZaJsH6aXs.

This is why you have to take football over baseball : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsxuHkgBSgI

Thanks for posting the link to the 1971 All-Star game. Mays and Aaron in the top of the first, with Vida Blue pitching? I will have to watch the rest of the parts of the game. :thumbsup: