#3 Sabine vs. #7 Brock

Bigtoe

it appears Sabine was exposed for being in a subpar district... Brock is a real good team but there are better ones in 2A... Based on the updates it seems like Sabine was only in the game for one half.

It was a 10 point game...What do you mean Sabine was only in it for one half?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sabine outscored them 17-12 in the fourth, but after that slow 2nd and 3rd quarter, it wasn't enough.

This is Sabine's first loss since Dec. 13, 2008. Brock snaps the Cardinals' 22 game winning streak. They (Brock Eagles) were a very fundamental team and they moved the ball exceptionally well against the zone. They should be a pretty tough "out". Although, Sabine is probably good enough to beat them, they just didn't play that well today.

This kind of comment always makes me laugh. Even when they come from our own fans.

You better hope you are 10 points better than our 2nd place team considering you weren't earlier in the season.

Main reason for the travel and warmup game was to give the boys a taste of something different. It was basically a home game for Brock. I was told Sabine had maybe 35 fans there. Games are all about matchups and Brock played basically a 5 guard lineup and took away our strengths and we didn't handle it well for stretches of the game. I think there were 8 to 10 offensive fouls called in the game and again you don't see that very often and it made us tentative especially in the 3rd quarter. The boys started playing their game in the 4th quarter but too big a deficit to overcome. I find that a good sign that we figured it out. Hats off to Brock for the win!!

Uh, it was 40-23 by the end of the third quarter...game over...

Looks like someone doesn't understand warm-up games. Yeah people want to win. But I think you'll find most coaches going in to work on some things that they feel would help them in playoffs. Not necessarily with best game plan to win on that warm-up.

Looks like someone doesn't understand warm-up games. Yeah people want to win. But I think you'll find most coaches going in to work on some things that they feel would help them in playoffs. Not necessarily with best game plan to win on that warm-up.

I have to disagree. Have you ever heard the phrase "If it aint broke, dont fix it!" Yea I said AINT. LOL. On the serious side, why would a coach, who has won 22 straight games go and change the way his team plays. Coaches schedule warmup games to keep their players in tune while they are waiting for their playoff game. Usually the team that they schedule is going to be a tougher team or a team they feel is equally matched.

Jefferson got pounded last year by Edgewood in their warmup game it didn't seem to hurt them any. Edgewood style and matchups last year was bad for Jefferson. Sabine never did any type of adjustments yesterday and stuck to their basic schemes (I don't think we ran but one basic out of bounds play for instance) they do best and will do when the playoff start. You got to keep working on what you do in a meanless game to get you ready for the playoffs. I don't think it was a case of "showing everything" but a case of working on your game because if that game had meant something they would have done a lot of adjusting.

I've seen Arp and Sabine and Arp isn't better than Sabine is. Arp isn't even better than White Oak. They will be one and done.

Now I know what time it is, you are like 2 and 15 when you pick Arp to lose. I think you even missed like 10 straight in football :thumbsup: Thanks for the help

You better hope you are 10 points better than our 2nd place team considering you weren't earlier in the season.

We lost to white oak by 4 points at white oak our first game out of football with one practice. Our best player didn't play much because he was still banged up from carrying the ball all the time in football and was struggling with a knee injury. White oak plays good defense and shoots well, but shooting percentages go down when you play in your face defense which is what white oak will see. If I were sabine I would worry about getting past hearne. They are athletic and shoot well and are going to give sabine trouble.

We lost to white oak by 4 points at white oak our first game out of football with one practice. Our best player didn't play much because he was still banged up from carrying the ball all the time in football and was struggling with a knee injury. White oak plays good defense and shoots well, but shooting percentages go down when you play in your face defense which is what white oak will see. If I were sabine I would worry about getting past hearne. They are athletic and shoot well and are going to give sabine trouble.

After seeing White Oak and Arp, I think White Oak is the better team. Arp is not the same team as last year.

Arp has been playing really well since the christmas break. You can't judge them off a warmup game. 2 starters hardly played, there was no pressing on defense, and a zone was run which hasn't been done all year and it was only a 9 point loss to a good LE team. I'll say it again, arp lost by 4 to white oak the first week of basketball and I believe that playing in a weak district is going to come back to hurt white oak.

Jefferson got pounded last year by Edgewood in their warmup game it didn't seem to hurt them any. Edgewood style and matchups last year was bad for Jefferson. Sabine never did any type of adjustments yesterday and stuck to their basic schemes (I don't think we ran but one basic out of bounds play for instance) they do best and will do when the playoff start. You got to keep working on what you do in a meanless game to get you ready for the playoffs. I don't think it was a case of "showing everything" but a case of working on your game because if that game had meant something they would have done a lot of adjusting.

My point is "most" coaches go into warm-ups to work on plays and keep their team in tune. It's a good game to do some little changes and see how your guys respond. You already know your team can play its game.

I do remember one game years ago against Farmersville. The coaches had agreed to not exchange game films with some other teams. Farmersville coach changed his mind and told Shellnut. Big mistake... It seemed like Jack threw changing defenses up on them all night and pressed and just destroyed them. I'm thinking that was only their second loss of season.

Edgewood did show everything that game. LOL

Oh Sports I agree so much that games that aren't district play or the playoffs are games where you should be working on things to make your team better for when it really counts. I seem to have mentioned this a couple of weeks ago and read that, "When PG loses all they do is make excuses, etc, etc.".

I am rooting for your guys and I do feel that Sabine is the best team in your region. I have seen Arp and although they have talent and great athletes, it will be tough for them to handle Sabine's fundamental, well coached, smart basketball. I pick Sabine over Arp. Jefferson has one of the better players in all of 2A with Cordell, and Lee is tough also, but when it gets to playing well coached teams, Jefferson is going to have an uphill battle. I also pick Sabine over New Waverly (regardless of their top TABC ranking - I do not feel New Waverly has played the quality teams that other 2A teams have), but as for winning it all, that is going to be TOUGH to say the least. The Edgewood, Krum, Ponder region is stacked and any team that wins that district has to be the favorite to win it all. Good luck to you and your boys and I hope to see you in Austin. Oh, I go to Austin every year for the basketball championships, so I can only hope it we are both their watching our sons play.

Arp has been playing really well since the christmas break. You can't judge them off a warmup game. 2 starters hardly played, there was no pressing on defense, and a zone was run which hasn't been done all year and it was only a 9 point loss to a good LE team. I'll say it again, arp lost by 4 to white oak the first week of basketball and I believe that playing in a weak district is going to come back to hurt white oak.

WO had also had only 2 or 3 games before they played arp. and WO is also playing sooo much better than they did then. WO was still trying to work in new players and schemes without coppedge. and weak district? arp wouldnt win WO's district. theyd get 3rd

I'm not going to say Sabine didn't want to "show too much." I will say that there seemed to be no sense of urgency during the third when Brock moved out to their biggest lead of the game, or in the fourth when the Cards trimmed the deficit to 10. Anyone who has seen Sabine's press defense this year and was at that game can attest to that. I think Coach Davis called 2 timeouts the entire second half. Sabine shot maybe 15-20 percent from the field. (Sportsrus most likely has the film and I'm sure he's already broken it down and can give the exact number) A large number of those misses were layups and second chances in the paint.

There were games during district that the Cards didn't play well, but were able to still pull away because they are/were so much better than the rest of the teams in their district. A poor shooting day from the field as well as the line was the difference in this game. Other than that. These two teams look a lot alike. It was good for the team to have to travel out of their comfort zone and to play from behind. They haven't had to do that much this year. They'll be fine.

No excuses....They had a bad day against a good team. That always spells a loss.

If I were sabine, I wouldn't worry about this one game. A warmup game is meant to be what a scrimmage is in football. Everyone gets to play in the game to get ready for the playoffs. I'm sure that the rotation for this game isn't the same as it would be in a playoff game. I know that at arp, we had a lot of different guys playing that you normally don't see on the court at the same time, but you never know when a couple of guys could get in foul trouble and that lineup could be on the court together. The main thing is to get a competitive practice against another good team, but not to walk away with injuries. Good luck in sabine in the playoffs.

I have to disagree. Have you ever heard the phrase "If it aint broke, dont fix it!" Yea I said AINT. LOL. On the serious side, why would a coach, who has won 22 straight games go and change the way his team plays. Coaches schedule warmup games to keep their players in tune while they are waiting for their playoff game. Usually the team that they schedule is going to be a tougher team or a team they feel is equally matched.

No matter how good a team is there will ALWAYS be things that need to be worked on. Rebounding, passing, shooting, breaking a press, or maybe even working on a different style of offense. Maybe sabine was just trying to focus on one aspect of the game that they needed to get better at. Don't worry about the loss Cards. People are just hatin'.