Waco University stuns Whitehouse 53-50

bullardtwin

Congrats to WH on a good season. Saw you guys play against Hallsville and was impressed. Holmen should do some damage for UNT and the same for Marquis at Covenent.

Any relation to the coach Mike Marquis at TJC and Mitch?

Red Raider seems to think this one is a bit obvious.

I do believe they are related, yes.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are athletic and have good size (6'8" & 6'5" Post players), but don't have much basketball skill. Whitehouse fought hard to get a 5 point lead with 2 minutes left and then blew it with bad shot selection, missed free throws and turnovers.

So, if they didn't have much basketball skill then Whitehouse must have been way overrated as the #3 team in 4a in Texas?

Maybe I'm still confused from last spring. You make it to the Regional Tournament and your coach leaves??? With probably the best point guard and post man in the area returning???

I guess this is what Whitehouse was looking for. Someone to catch up with the times and get rid of Wally Ball and play some in your face defense and get the monkey off the basketball program's back.

This most recent playoff exit took me down memory lane because there was plenty of bashing of Coach Dawkins and his system for the EXACT same thing that happened this year. Just a few looks back at some old quotes:

QUOTE DfieldTiger1884 date='Feb 28 2008, 10:24 AM'

... but personally when you've been there that long and have never made it past the 2nd or 3rd round i really don't call that a b-ball program. I honestly hope WH can make it to Austin this year. I just think every year people in WH get caught up in the teams record and thinks they have a legit shot at austin when in reality they got that record by playing teams that are poor.

I thought Coach Tomlin had the guys prepared through scheduling this year?

???

I think he means rolling in football's direction.

QUOTE from HOOPS4LIFE date='Apr 20 2008, 10:43 AM

It's in Bullard. Closer to his daughter going to KC? We'll have to wait and see. WH you have a good one, do what ever it takes to keep him, just my 2 cents

Why would they do that? They needed a new coach to come shake things up. I thought this was Change we could believe in.

QUOTE from HOOPS4LIFE date='Jun 21 2008, 10:51 PM

tomlin won't turn it down, he's done more in Bullard than what Wally did in WH. He's done it in less years, and a lot of people in Wh compalins about Wh not getting past 1st or 2nd round. Tomlin is a proven winner, don't mess this up WH

Welcome to 4A Mr. hoops and Coach Tomlin.

QUOTE GLORY BOUND date='Dec 4 2007

It would be very nice to see WH go deeper than one game into the playoffs in BB. Winning every game in district is sweet but year after year losing in the 1st one or two playoff games tells me there's a coaching issue.

Another Area Round loss. Looks like Glory Bound wants another new coach.

This is just a small sampling of the asinine quotes from the past and I'm sure part of the belief system that made Coach Dawkins leave town.

But the way I see it, Coach Tomlin may be the smartest guy in Whitehouse. He probably knows that once he makes it to the Regional Tournament, certain people will not be happy that they don't have the brightest star in town.

And just a heads up Coach Tomlin. Your assistant Alvie seems to drink heavily from the football kool-aid, which is what happens when football has their thumb in every pie.

What a great decision by the administration to help a guy out the door that dedicated over 20 years of his life to the basketball program and the community, and whose final season at Whitehouse was the deepest trip your school had ever made, and has still ever made, into the post-season as a 4A school. :happy65:

Hey Boot, you know what they say about opinions....................... everyone has one and your's smells no better than the rest of them.

Congrats on a great season Whitehouse........nothing to be ashamed of. Some of the people who praised you and your coaches throughout the season are now questioning you coaches strategy. My question is ...are they true Wildcat Fans.?

I also find it quite amusing that BOOT is calling out one of Tomlin's assistants ( Alvie is his name I believe, not sure if it is the JV or 9th coach ) in a previous post. I am sure Alvie coaches 2 sports like most all coaches do. So football is one of the 2 sports he coaches. I bet he coaches basketball just as hard as he coaches basketball. I'm sure if Tomlin wasn't comfortable with him coaching basketball he would ask him to move to another sport.

I am glad Tomlin switched to man defense this season. Nothing against Dawkins and his zone defense. I believe that you coach to your style and to the ability of your kids. If Tomlin thought his kids couldn't play man I am sure he would have changed his strategy. He is a great teacher of the game and he does a great job with his man principles. His kids do a great job of helping backside and of hedging on a screen.

Maybe THEBOOT needs to give himself a kick in the posterior and see himself out the door. Tomlin keep working hard,your doing the right thing, Alvie keep coaching them up --tell MR. BOOT hello next time you see him ( if he will come out from hiding behind his screen name )

As for the last post about Marquis yelling at the coaches, how about some of us current and former coaches head to TJC and yell at him as he coaches. Sit right behind the bench and yell until we can;t yell no more.....................

Congrats on a great season Whitehouse........nothing to be ashamed of. Some of the people who praised you and your coaches throughout the season are now questioning you coaches strategy. My question is ...are they true Wildcat Fans.?

I also find it quite amusing that BOOT is calling out one of Tomlin's assistants ( Alvie is his name I believe, not sure if it is the JV or 9th coach ) in a previous post. I am sure Alvie coaches 2 sports like most all coaches do. So football is one of the 2 sports he coaches. I bet he coaches basketball just as hard as he coaches basketball. I'm sure if Tomlin wasn't comfortable with him coaching basketball he would ask him to move to another sport.

I am glad Tomlin switched to man defense this season. Nothing against Dawkins and his zone defense. I believe that you coach to your style and to the ability of your kids. If Tomlin thought his kids couldn't play man I am sure he would have changed his strategy. He is a great teacher of the game and he does a great job with his man principles. His kids do a great job of helping backside and of hedging on a screen.

Maybe THEBOOT needs to give himself a kick in the posterior and see himself out the door. Tomlin keep working hard,your doing the right thing, Alvie keep coaching them up --tell MR. BOOT hello next time you see him ( if he will come out from hiding behind his screen name )

As for the last post about Marquis yelling at the coaches, how about some of us current and former coaches head to TJC and yell at him as he coaches. Sit right behind the bench and yell until we can;t yell no more.....................

Glory Bound: At least I'm consistent. I'm just wondering if you're calling for a new basketball coach again or if you're too busy getting the pads out and filling the water bottles for the football players.

BigNasty: I agree with nearly everything you said. Great Season. Seems to be lots of fairweather fans running around. Alvie's problem (but really Tomlin's) is that Alvie is a football coach first. Tomlin has no say in who his assistants are. The guy they offered the job to first wanted to bring his own assistant and was told NO. All the assistant coaches at Whitehouse and most other 3A and under schools (Whitehouse is 3A right?) are football coaches first. At 4A and over schools basketball gets at least 1 of their own assistants. That was the case when Nix was there. That didn't change till the new AD got to Whitehouse. So since Alvie and the other assistants were hired by MacFarland and not Tomlin, who should they be loyal to?

Tomlin should coach in the style he's comfortable in and how he thinks suits his players. Any coach should do that. And as far as the yelling goes, maybe it's not great but lots of people should be yelling if the point guard on their team doesn't have the ball with under 1 min. left and the lead. Good gracious.

Tell Alvie I said hello and to stop letting his big brother fight his battles for him.

Better hurry. They are about to make their annual early-exit out of the NJCAA post season.

For TheBoot: as far as the PG not having the ball in his hands in the last minute, do explain. Was that Tomlin's fault somehow? Since I wasn't there, help me out. Why exactly did he not have the ball?

Better hurry. They are about to make their annual early-exit out of the NJCAA post season.

For TheBoot: as far as the PG not having the ball in his hands in the last minute, do explain. Was that Tomlin's fault somehow? Since I wasn't there, help me out. Why exactly did he not have the ball?

To be clear I don't have a problem with Tomlin. He's doing what everyone thought he would. He's running his system and he had a great year. His system is what it is, which is my answer to the WHY of your question. I'm not blaming him but SOMETHING should have been done. You don't jack a bunch of shots up with the lead like that.

wow im going to make this short congrats to whitehouse on a good season. yeah i know that you wanted to go a little bit further then what you did, but hey it could be a lot worse like a losing season. i mean it was coach tomlin's first year that means a new system and coaching style they played real good this season. i can remember a time when whitehouse and the rest of the district took a back seat to nacogdoches in basketball, but im sure that whitehouse basketball is in good hands.

To be clear I don't have a problem with Tomlin. He's doing what everyone thought he would. He's running his system and he had a great year. His system is what it is, which is my answer to the WHY of your question. I'm not blaming him but SOMETHING should have been done. You don't jack a bunch of shots up with the lead like that.

No problem. I wasn't questioning your viewpoint. I was just curious as to what happened at the end of the game. Didn't know if they were denying him the ball, running fast breaks and taking bad shots, or just running their basic set offense with a lead and under 2 minutes.

No problem. I wasn't questioning your viewpoint. I was just curious as to what happened at the end of the game. Didn't know if they were denying him the ball, running fast breaks and taking bad shots, or just running their basic set offense with a lead and under 2 minutes.

WH did not sit on the ball with 35 seconds left in the game. They had a 4 point lead and possession of the ball. One of the guards tried to make a layup and missed and Waco went coast to coast for a layup. Waco then stole the in-bounds pass and scored another layup all within 10 seconds! They should have stalled and forced Waco to foul them with that amount of time left and that kind of lead....just my two cents. Hind site is 20/20.

Congrats Tomlin and Cats. Season didn't end up the way we all hoped for. From the beginning we new that we didn't have the scorers and size like last year. But we didn't have the hustle on D like we do now. Yea inexperience from the youngins hurt us at the end of the game. But they will learn and be better from it. I am sure Tomlin didn't want the kid to shoot the ball with a 5 pt lead and 40 second's to go but he did. It wasn't a designed play to in bound the ball so quickly without getting set up. They were just inexperienced decisions. It happened so fast yet it seemed to just be a dream. It was crazy. The Waco team played hard. They were more athletic but not very disciplined. But they capitalized when they needed to. And now the cats are at home. They will be fine next year. They will have some skilled players be able to step up and make some plays. Finding a big man like Holmen will be the main problem. The house will be back. Tomlin is a great coach who know's how to win, not just in basketball but the game of life. And about the game of life, to the Dad that yelled G D at the end of the game. Get a grip! Man that wasn't going to make it better. It's not that big a deal. Basketball is not life. I hope you understand that.

-out-

And as far as the yelling goes, maybe it's not great but lots of people should be yelling if the point guard on their team doesn't have the ball with under 1 min. left and the lead. Good gracious.

Mitch brought the ball down the floor, so he did have it with under 1 min left. I am not defending the play that was drawn up during the TO, but to say Mitch did not have a chance to make a play is not true. He had the ball and passed it.

Last year's coach was very solid. This year's coach is very solid. Arguing these facts kinda discredits one's basketball knowledge. Are either perfect? No, neither is Phil Jackson. It comes to a point where competing against the 4A powerhouses in this region has to be realistic. The Dallas schools have had one sport focus for years, great AAU programs (elementary to high school), and a metropolitan area to pull players from. Coaching does have a lot to do with basketball, but sometimes you can only do so much with the hand your dealt. In no way am I discrediting the players of Whitehouse. Whitehouse had a players that could play with any of these teams, the difference in the past, and this year, is that Carter, SOC, Lincoln, etc. have size, speed, skill, strength and talent 7,8, and even 9 players deep. It is going to take building an incredible youth program, and then several years bringing these youth up for Whitehouse to beat these teams, and even then they are playing teams from an area of population of over 1 million people (regardless of school enrollment). Whitehouse should be proud of last season and they should be proud of this season. I wish the seniors the best of luck with their college careers.

Was anyone here in the huddle to know what play was drawn up? NO.

Was anyone here in the huddle to hear what Tomlin told his team? NO.

All is speculation by the above The Shoe and etc. Go make love to your Wally ball.

As far as Coach Marquis's foul language and ranting.... he knows better.

Remember these players are kids not professionals, sometimes they don't listen and do what they are told.

I congratulate WH on a great season. It just ended a little too soon. Coach T, keep doin, what you have been doin, and you will have nothing to be ashamed of. Life is more than just basketball. :thumbsup:

Was anyone here in the huddle to know what play was drawn up? NO.

Was anyone here in the huddle to hear what Tomlin told his team? NO.

All is speculation by the above The Shoe and etc. Go make love to your Wally ball.

As far as Coach Marquis's foul language and ranting.... he knows better.

Remember these players are kids not professionals, sometimes they don't listen and do what they are told.

I congratulate WH on a great season. It just ended a little too soon. Coach T, keep doin, what you have been doin, and you will have nothing to be ashamed of. Life is more than just basketball. :thumbsup:

I agree too many speculators. Super season for Coach Tomlin and the Wildcats. What was their final record 29-4? Excellent record for any team. I cannot believe that the basketball coach for TJC was shouting profanities at the Whitehouse coaches and in front of Coach Tomlin's family. TJC must be very proud of this person being a representative of their school. Maybe a little one-on-one with the school(TJC) officials need to take to prevent this embarassment from happening again. I'm sure we all have differing opionions on what should or should not be done, but do it in the correct way. It's funny how when someone wins, it's because of athletes, but when you lose it seems to be the coaches fault. Super first season Coach Tomlin. Don't let the big kids in the stands get you down.

WH did not sit on the ball with 35 seconds left in the game. They had a 4 point lead and possession of the ball. One of the guards tried to make a layup and missed and Waco went coast to coast for a layup. Waco then stole the in-bounds pass and scored another layup all within 10 seconds! They should have stalled and forced Waco to foul them with that amount of time left and that kind of lead....just my two cents. Hind site is 20/20.

:no: