Waco University stuns Whitehouse 53-50

bullardtwin

As far as Coach Marquis's foul language and ranting.... he knows better.

He probably feels bad about how things went down, but it was a real mind boggler how the game finished in the last 1.5 min. WH snatched defeat from the jaws of victory... I would say that he does know better, but I can also understand how he could be so devistated.

We all make mistakes in the heat of the moment from time to time... I hope both coaches are settled and that there are no hard feelings.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He probably feels bad about how things went down, but it was a real mind boggler how the game finished in the last 1.5 min. WH snatched defeat from the jaws of victory... I would say that he does know better, but I can also understand how he could be so devistated.

We all make mistakes in the heat of the moment from time to time... I hope both coaches are settled and that there are no hard feelings.

Devastated to the point of dropping "F" bombs all over the place in front of all these people? Sounds like someone out of control. I'm sure alot of people are disappointed in how the game finished, but show a little class, and if your are that distraught, go to the source and discuss it one-on-one instead of making a fool out of yourself. I can't think of any situation where someone should react the way he did. If he does know better, then he cannot control his emotions and needs help (anger management maybe?). The first step he needs to do is have a meeting with Coach Tomlin (and assistants) and apologize for his inapropriate actions, and then probably apologize to Tyler Junior College for setting such a poor example in representing the school. I have to agree, we all make mistakes in the heat of the moment at times, but a true mark of character is how you right the situation. I can't see how both coaches need to be settled when only one showed his true colors. I guess what bothers me the most about the situation is that the agitator is a coach. Parents sometimes live through their kids and tend to react emotionally and without thinking at times, but a coach should displaying this behavior with another coach boggles the mind. But, adversity more times than not, generally shows true character. I hope I am wrong in this situation.

Devastated to the point of dropping "F" bombs all over the place in front of all these people? Sounds like someone out of control. I'm sure alot of people are disappointed in how the game finished, but show a little class, and if your are that distraught, go to the source and discuss it one-on-one instead of making a fool out of yourself. I can't think of any situation where someone should react the way he did. If he does know better, then he cannot control his emotions and needs help (anger management maybe?). The first step he needs to do is have a meeting with Coach Tomlin (and assistants) and apologize for his inapropriate actions, and then probably apologize to Tyler Junior College for setting such a poor example in representing the school. I have to agree, we all make mistakes in the heat of the moment at times, but a true mark of character is how you right the situation. I can't see how both coaches need to be settled when only one showed his true colors. I guess what bothers me the most about the situation is that the agitator is a coach. Parents sometimes live through their kids and tend to react emotionally and without thinking at times, but a coach should displaying this behavior with another coach boggles the mind. But, adversity more times than not, generally shows true character. I hope I am wrong in this situation.

were any of you there at the end? I was there and none of those things happened the way you are telling it. There was no one there except the players parents and coach marquis had every right to say some of the things he said. So if none of you were there you would have no idea what happened there were no inapropriate things said no foul language just some comments on the coaching mistakes and we all have those thoughts. His family had already left and the players were in the locker room. So please stop bashing coach marquis he is a good man and wanted nothing more than the best for these players who have played together for a long time. Thank you!

Was anyone here in the huddle to know what play was drawn up? NO.

Was anyone here in the huddle to hear what Tomlin told his team? NO.

All is speculation by the above The Shoe and etc. Go make love to your Wally ball.

I'd like to know where I, The Shoe, speculated? I haven't seen anybody say anything about what was said in the huddle. They've commented on what their eyes have seen.

I was there. I heard and saw Marquis running off at the mouth dropping "F" bombs. It cannot be disputed that he did it. He may have apologized, and he did, however that does not reduce the fact that he was totally unprofessional in his actions. You should expect better behavior from an adult who is a "coach" at the collegiate level. He should be embarrassed by his actions and i hope it does not happen again.

If you don't think that Coach Tomlin has enough sense to tell his players to stall with a 4 point lead with one minute to go...OMG. What you saw was a young, inexperienced sophomore drive the lane miss a lay up and Waco go the other way for a score. Then in the excitement throw away the inbound pass, etc, etc.... Three mistakes on turnovers, missed free throws and some other factors cost WH the game.

You all have to remember these are teenagers who get excited and caught up in the action and sometimes make mistakes. I was taught you win as a team and lose as a team.

great season WH !

You all have to remember these are teenagers who get excited and caught up in the action and sometimes make mistakes. I was taught you win as a team and lose as a team.

great season WH !

It happens at all levels Jr High, High School, Collegiate, Pros, it's just part of what makes up the game............unfortunate for one team, thrilling for the other. One moves to the next round and one moves on.......

Whitehouse gave this game away. I wasn't just the young players lack of poise, it was also their uncanny ability to miss free throws. Same as last year, thats what knocked them out.

What's the deal? Do they practice free thows? They can't hit them in the regular season either. Its really a shame with all the talent they had the last two years. Last years team was championship material and this one should have gone a couple games farther.

I was there. I heard and saw Marquis running off at the mouth dropping "F" bombs. It cannot be disputed that he did it. He may have apologized, and he did, however that does not reduce the fact that he was totally unprofessional in his actions. You should expect better behavior from an adult who is a "coach" at the collegiate level. He should be embarrassed by his actions and i hope it does not happen again.

If you don't think that Coach Tomlin has enough sense to tell his players to stall with a 4 point lead with one minute to go...OMG. What you saw was a young, inexperienced sophomore drive the lane miss a lay up and Waco go the other way for a score. Then in the excitement throw away the inbound pass, etc, etc.... Three mistakes on turnovers, missed free throws and some other factors cost WH the game.

great season WH !

It doesn't matter who the person is. He has no character if he allows himself to spout of some of the words he was supposedly saying. His position at the University does not give him permission to do that. Sounds like many of the so-called experts you see in the stands all the time. It wouldn't make any difference even if he had a son playing. Still acting like a juvenile. Period!

Now I'm not saying Coach Marquis said any of these things. I'm just saying if.

And great season Ryan Tomlin and players.

Devastated to the point of dropping "F" bombs all over the place in front of all these people? Sounds like someone out of control.

Well, I didn't hear him. I have not done something like that, but I have lost my temper. I dont know him but I have never seen him lose it before so I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

great season WH !

where were you standing that you heard him dropping f bombs because i was there until him and his family along with mitch walked to their car and I didn't hear any f bombs.

You people seemed surprised.

If the F bomb was all that was dropped then my hats off.

How could you not hear it? He said it so loud it echoed. I heard it, and so did the other hundred people who turned around to see who said it... It wasnt just the F bomb, it was several more "bad" words. What a great example.

Very classless and he should be dealt with.

Most of you are blaming the coach when it wasn't his call. IF the kids would have done what was drawn up in the timeout, waco would be at home and whitehouse would still be playing. The kids got to learn to listen no matter how wide open he thought he was, listen to the coach.

Funny seeing people already posting how Tomlin didn't do any better then Wally.. Give it time.. How many years was wally at whitehouse and how far did he get in all those years.... Years of owning district and home early in playoffs? Seems like Tomlin's right on track to match Wally's record.

Seems like whitehouse basketball team can never finish vs a tough opponent. Happened last year as well against SOC, most likely win that game if you dont have like 16 turnovers in the second half, and a handful of bad passes thrown away and tons of missed free throws. Was the most disgusting game iv seen, and still was in position to win..lol

Well, I didn't hear him. I have not done something like that, but I have lost my temper. I dont know him but I have never seen him lose it before so I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

To answer your previous question, yes I was at the game and heard the comments he made at the end of the game. And yes, his family heard them too. As far as what was said in the hallway sometime after the game, I don't know. I agree with you that we all probably lose our tempers at times, but the question is how do you / I respond when this anger builds? Hopefully in the appropriate way. I also agree that if you do not know someone, you should at least give them the benefit of the doubt. But when you here it first hand, that benefit of the doubt goes out the window. You claim he is a good man, and maybe he is in other situations. I just find it hard to believe based on his outburst the other night. I am a strong advocate of responsibility and being held accountable for ones actions. Having children who have gone through the public school system (like many have), I hope they see teachers/coaches who model responsibility/accountability in their actions. We are each held accountable for our actions. If we are wrong in a situation, we should feel obligated to try to "right" that situation and learn from our mistakes. Hopefully this is what will happen in this situation.

Once again great season Coach Tomlin and the Wildcats.

Amazing. I've just read the entire string of comments on the WH BBall loss to Waco University and you'd think that folks were trying to describe what happened at a drive by shooting. While watching with one eye shut. Not one entry has correctly described what went on in that last crucial 60 seconds of play. Or what happened after the stands let out and it was just the players, coaches and players families left to console each other on a very, very tough loss.

Let me preface this by saying that I WAS THERE for all of it and as a parent of one of the players I have attended EVERY game WH has participated in this year with the Burkburnett Tourney being the sole exception. You might say I have some insight into the proceedings that night.

So let me set the record straight.

First of all I believe now, as I did when the season started, that Coach Tomlin was a terrific hire for WH. He is a genuine person who genuinely cares about the kids he coaches. He's approachable, knowledgeable, has charisma and generally just a likable guy who you can tell is enthusiastic and committed to his job of coaching young men. But all that said, anyone can screw up..... and Tomlin did in a royal fashion for all that truly understand the game (and this team) to see.

So it does not surprise me that an ETFOOTBALL FAN would want to blame this on the "kids who wouldn't listen".

What happened during that last agonizing 60 seconds was this: The score was 50 - 46, WH in the lead with WH taking down a defensive board.......Trey had anticipated the rebound and was off to the races on our offensive end of the court....he received a long pass (NOT from Mitch) that he collected deep in the right corner - outside the 3-point line.....he was relatively unguarded at that time as it was only him and a defender anywhere close to our basket.....most of ALL the other players on the court were rushing from our backcourt to the frontcourt.....Trey then chose to do the unthinkable with a 4 point lead - he shot the ball - and missed and Mitch never had a chance to touch it on that possession.....the rebound bounced long into a Waco player's hands and they got it upcourt quickly and nailed a three....50 - 49 WH still in the lead.....Waco presses on the inbounds and Trey breaks out again this time much closer to the our basket.....a successful pass is made to Trey to break the press and instead of pulling the ball out, Trey once again tries to score and misses, but is fouled......he goes to the line and attempts two FTs but misses both.....the second miss bounces right to Waco's star and he goes coast-to-coast for what turns out to be the winning layup.....51-50 Waco...then Quincy nonchalants the inbound to Trey, but it is intercepted by the Waco guard who efficiently feeds their cutting big man for the nail in the coffin....53 -50 Waco.... FINALLY, Coach Tomlin calls a timeout because there is 16 seconds left.....but alas we come out of the huddle and miss a couple of shots of which at least one may have been a 3....Game Over.....Heartbreak continues.....

So it was Trey's fault right? Absolutely not. Without Trey's otherwise tremendous play during the game we might not have had the 4 point lead in the first place. The truth is this: Coach Tomlin became a spectator during the must critical minute of the entire season and ALLOWED an incredibly gifted yet inexperienced basketball player (just a sophomore) to lose the game.

What is vital to realize is this: Tomlin NEVER USED A TIMEOUT IN THE LAST MINUTE OF THE GAME UNTIL THE LEAD WAS LOST. When you are up 4 AND HAVE POSSESSION with only a minute to go WITHOUT A SHOT CLOCK you must emphasize to your team, especially when you have two inexperienced sophomores on the floor at that time, that it is ALL ABOUT POSSESSION OF THE BASKETBALL NOT POINTS THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO CLOSE OUT THE GAME.

Had Tomlin called a timeout on the first pass to Trey or even the second to reset the offense and get the ball in Mitch's hands there is no doubt the outcome would have been different. Or now looking back, if he had called a timeout after Waco went up one we could have saved ourselves from giving up another two points and only be down one with 16+ seconds left.

And as far as the Mike Marquis incident....I can't attest to what was said (if anything) during the game.....but after the game I was only feet away from the double doors where the coaches and players came out......and I will attest in a court of law that yes Marquis did confront the coaching staff for letting down their team but that it was done BEHIND the double doors between he and the coaches and was completely indiscernible to the parents including myself who were waiting in the gym for the players (who were still in the locker room) to come out...

Did Marquis have the right to confront the coaches. He is a coach himself for god sakes. A very successful one at that. I believe he has won a National Championship at his last stint in Iowa.

So in light of the fact that Marquis understands probably better than anyone else in the gym that night that these opportunities with a talented group headlined by Jacob and Mitch don't just present themselves frequently and should never be taken for granted, I completely understand why he confronted the staff man to man, coach to coach. Tomlin directed the boys to a tremendous season, but allowed the Ferrari to turn into a VW for reasons that had everything to do with his coaching indecisions and nary with his "boys not listening".

The common thread among every successful coach is that they put their players in the best position possible for their team and their players to succeed. Unfortunately, this did not happen on that ill fated night in Mabank.

All the best to Coach Tomlin next season. I expect he will be better as I hope that is true for us all.

Your view is that of a parent. You praise Tomlin for all those things , yet you still point the finger at him for the loss. I can almost guarantee you that Tomlin didn't lay any blame on the kids who played the game. The fact is these are kids and they do make mistakes. Yes , coaches do as well ( so lose that argument ).

As far as Marquis is concerned, the fact that he is a coach doesn't give him the right to address Tomlin and his staff the way he did. Even if it happened as you said it did doesn't make it right. In the situation the other night Marquis was a parent....PERIOD. the fact that he is the coach at TJC doesn't grant him certain freedoms. I could also careless that he won a National Championship in Iowa. Congrats to him, but again that doesn't give him freedom to address Tomlin in the manner he did.

I bet the parents of his at TJC don't get the opportunity to yell at him after games.

Your view is that of a parent. You praise Tomlin for all those things , yet you still point the finger at him for the loss. I can almost guarantee you that Tomlin didn't lay any blame on the kids who played the game. The fact is these are kids and they do make mistakes. Yes , coaches do as well ( so lose that argument ).

As far as Marquis is concerned, the fact that he is a coach doesn't give him the right to address Tomlin and his staff the way he did. Even if it happened as you said it did doesn't make it right. In the situation the other night Marquis was a parent....PERIOD. the fact that he is the coach at TJC doesn't grant him certain freedoms. I could also careless that he won a National Championship in Iowa. Congrats to him, but again that doesn't give him freedom to address Tomlin in the manner he did.

I bet the parents of his at TJC don't get the opportunity to yell at him after games.

You hit the nail on the head bignasty, well said.

What is the point of yelling at anyone after a game is over anyways, what good does it do? It doesn't change the outcome of the game and sure doesn't help a person respectability. Only thing to do from a loss is to learn where you made the mistakes and when that time comes again, don't make the same one. I've been in too many shouting matches before and it took me a while to figure out it does nothing but cause problems, its a game not life or death, pick yourself up and move on.

Lose the argument that the coach(es) "do make mistakes"? No argument there. In fact I agree with you completely. That was the point of my entire entry. That and to correct what really happened at the end of the game. The coach(es) allowed that game to be given away. I don't take any pleasure in saying that, but it is what it is.

And unfortunately, your guarantee that Tomlin didn't "lay any blame on the kids" is incorrect. To quote the paper, Tomlin said this: "We weren't thinking"...And this: "There were so many things we worked on that we didn't do"....And this: "We played like them instead of playing like us". These statements seem to imply that "we" refers only to his team (the players) and assumes no culpability for the coach(es). Again, during that final excruciating minute the coach(es) could have called the timeout not once, not twice, but possibly three times to insure the ball made it into Mitch's hands. At that point in the game, that is why we lost.

How about this assessment instead.....Tomlin did a great job in having the team play the way that they needed to play to have a 4 point lead and the ball with just seconds left.......then he and his staff became spectators.

Every coach has made big mistakes. Part of the process. He will be better. And it may take some time, but so will Whitehouse.

I guess you can have varying determinations on how "we" is taken or meant. Calling time out doesn't "insure" anyone would have the ball in their hands. Assuming Mitch would have finished it, would only be that an assumption, it's an unknown........

Not to split hairs or change the subject, but in the rant above, it was said that Waco rebounded a missed FT and went coast to coast for a game winning layup. With 2 guys not on the lane, how in the heck does that happen? Or should Tomlin had called time out to ensure that the 2 guys back knew to play defense?

Knopflerfan seems to still lay the majority of the blame on Tomlin. Many coaches handle timeouts in different fashions. But it is the coaches choice as to when to call a timeout. Coaches also work on many different situations in practice to better prepare for game situations. "WE" is refering to all of the team, coaches included.

I guess what Knopflerfan wanted was for Tomlin to call a timeout and bring all the dads from the stands down for a coaches conference. Better yet, all the dads could text him during the game with there ideas......wait....may have already happened.

Lose the argument that the coach(es) "do make mistakes"? No argument there. In fact I agree with you completely. That was the point of my entire entry. That and to correct what really happened at the end of the game. The coach(es) allowed that game to be given away. I don't take any pleasure in saying that, but it is what it is.

And unfortunately, your guarantee that Tomlin didn't "lay any blame on the kids" is incorrect. To quote the paper, Tomlin said this: "We weren't thinking"...And this: "There were so many things we worked on that we didn't do"....And this: "We played like them instead of playing like us". These statements seem to imply that "we" refers only to his team (the players) and assumes no culpability for the coach(es). Again, during that final excruciating minute the coach(es) could have called the timeout not once, not twice, but possibly three times to insure the ball made it into Mitch's hands. At that point in the game, that is why we lost.

How about this assessment instead.....Tomlin did a great job in having the team play the way that they needed to play to have a 4 point lead and the ball with just seconds left.......then he and his staff became spectators.

Every coach has made big mistakes. Part of the process. He will be better. And it may take some time, but so will Whitehouse.

How do you blame the game on Coach Tomlin. Because he didn't call a timeout? His kids know what to do with less than a minute in the game. Why would you give the other team a chance to prepare. That is stupid. You play keep away and only shoot if you have an uncontested layup. Bottom line is the fact that bad plays were made throughout the game and with experience the mistakes at the end would have never happened. So don't start pointing fingers at Tomlin for not calling a timeout. The mistakes that hurt us and put them up happened in a matter of seconds. So who knows, he may have wanted to call a timeout when they were up by one when we got the ball to half court. How about that! Then we would have more to work with but instead the in bound pass went to the other team. And we had to go the distance. What can you do. It's all matter of opinion. It's all a matter of experience. Your team should be ready come game time. And I am almost certain they go over these types of situations in practice. I wonder if your kids played much?

-out

The game wasn't lost in the final seconds, the opportunity to win presented itself at the start of the game. That is why they play them and seldom are they won, particularly playoff games, off what has been accomplished in the past........