East Texas Crappie Fishing

catahoula

Well, I have never fished Crappie before and figure I want to give it a try this year. Have had 3 successful years fishing the White Bass on the Neches River in Chandler. I have heard some talk about Crappie fishing over the years but really don't know where to start. What type of tackle, equipment, where to go (I don't own a boat so it will have to be accessible to vehicles or hike-in).

I know there have to be some Crappie experts here, so what say 'ye, let me hear all about it! I have looked on the internet and seen what they look like, haven't researched much more than that though.

Thanks for any help!

Cat

Last night I caught my first crappie! Was white bass fishing and caught a crappie! I didn't even know i had a fish on. This fish was abotu 12-13 inches. I thought it was a stick, it wasn't fighting much at all. Pretty fish. I ended up giving it away to a guy w/ a stringer of whites since that was the only fish i caught the whole time.

Another friend of min has access to a boat and said he's take me on lake palestine sometime next week. hopefully we'll do pretty good.

Anyone else geting into the crappie??

Last night I caught my first crappie! Was white bass fishing and caught a crappie! I didn't even know i had a fish on. This fish was abotu 12-13 inches. I thought it was a stick, it wasn't fighting much at all. Pretty fish. I ended up giving it away to a guy w/ a stringer of whites since that was the only fish i caught the whole time.

Another friend of min has access to a boat and said he's take me on lake palestine sometime next week. hopefully we'll do pretty good.

Anyone else geting into the crappie??

Used to fish all the time for crappie on lake Tyler. In the winter months they can be caught in the east lake by the dam. Find you a sunken tree and you can catch your limit. In the spring they usually are in 15 or so feet of water around the boat houses where people have sunken trees. I like minnows in the winter and jigs in the spring. Great eating fish. The bite in the winter is very light and you have to have very light tackle. Anything that might feel like a little flicker or tightening of the line needs to be responded to with a set.

All I need is a new motor and I'm gonna be back into them this year.

Catfish are tearing it up in shallow water...crappie were doing the same before we got 5" of rain two weeks ago!! Heard last night that they are starting to turn on again...the white bass should be back down in the lake soon and tearing it up...just about everything is biting now!!

• 1 month later...

In the Past a friend of mine and myself normally have pretty good luck on Lake Nac as far as Crappie fishing. We have the best luck by the dam at night. Looking forward to hitting it pretty soon. Any body fished in Lake Nac recently?

• 3 months later...