1. 1. Should High School have a shot clock

• Yes
    • No
    • New Waverly Bulldog games only

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the stands go on the corner baseline. They are 68 dollars for each one, look em up on the internet. This would be cheaper than installing them on the top of the backboard.

68 dollars each??? I doubt it! I think you may be looking at the cost of the stand :whome: Give us the link to the 68 dollar shot clock............

Pop those are not wired in either, they require a seperate person to work them at the game.

Yes they would require an additional person. My point was more towards the cost NOT being $68 bucks!

I've seen some stand alone shot clocks, they are a grand also.

My bad! You are correct, the stands are 68 each (138 total). The shot clocks I found are 200 each (400 total). This comes to a grand total of approximatley 538. This is well within a school districts budget, very easily done. Thanks for the correction. You can check these out at http://www.bolingeng.com/countdown_timer.htm

You add the cost of another person at the table I am thinking the Supts say no way. What would happen if it passed and you had to buy a new scoreboard, I can see a Supt giving the 5000 that would take.

You bid is way off (see above). Also, alot of schools do not pay the people at the scorers table extra, for some they get coaches or others to do it as part of their assignment.

You bid is way off (see above). Also, alot of schools do not pay the people at the scorers table extra, for some they get coaches or others to do it as part of their assignment.

I think that a community (business etc) could generate enough donations to cover the cost of shot clock/s so it wouldn't have to come out of school budget or booster club monies. You could possibly get a big sponsor (I would say bank-lol-but not in today's economy) to fund the costs if there was a ad or logo someway attached for advertisement etc..

From a fan's pov. I think Texas needs a shot clock. The kids (boys and girls) are so athletic now and up and down the court is FUN to watch, also fun to play. I am not disagreeing with coaching philosophy of stall tactic to win. But that's not the "intent" of the game of bball. The object is to put that orange ball in that little hoop- not stand and hold the darn thing. Alas, I do understand that the pressure and emphasis to win makes a coach do what he has to-even if that is stall. But, I believe (with a shot clock) it would reinforce some fundamentals of bball such as passing, moving without the ball and court awareness.

I think there may have been two or three players ahead of you son that made to the college level and had success. I really don't think they had any problems. What would have happened in that 100-0 game if their had been a shot clock? What about those teams that are truly overmatched andtry to hold the ball or those teams that dont won't to blow a team out bt 70 or 80 pts and try to slow it down? If its now broke then don't fix it. Had Sabine won this post would not exist.

First of all, i think your decision is a little biased with you being from New Waverly. Whether or not the Sabine/New Waverly game had existed, this is a question that is on many coaches and players minds, both high school and college. I was just saying that i think that it would be easier for high school players to adjust to the college gameplay a lot quicker than they do.

I think that a community (business etc) could generate enough donations to cover the cost of shot clock/s so it wouldn't have to come out of school budget or booster club monies. You could possibly get a big sponsor (I would say bank-lol-but not in today's economy) to fund the costs if there was a ad or logo someway attached for advertisement etc..

From a fan's pov. I think Texas needs a shot clock. The kids (boys and girls) are so athletic now and up and down the court is FUN to watch, also fun to play. I am not disagreeing with coaching philosophy of stall tactic to win. But that's not the "intent" of the game of bball. The object is to put that orange ball in that little hoop- not stand and hold the darn thing. Alas, I do understand that the pressure and emphasis to win makes a coach do what he has to-even if that is stall. But, I believe (with a shot clock) it would reinforce some fundamentals of bball such as passing, moving without the ball and court awareness.

Amen! So mode it be!

Yes. High School basketball DOES NEED a shot clock. Try to think of another rule that is enforced at the professional and collegiate level in basketball and yet doesn't even exist at the High School level.

NBA has a 24 second shot clock. College basketball has a 35 second shot clock (they began with 45 seconds).

45 seconds would be good for High School basketball to adopt.

This is the same principle behind the 10 second, and 5 second, and 3 second rules that are in place in basketball. Players are prompted to move around the court and play, by these rules.

As far as the expense involved, think about the 25 second clock UIL added to football. Also, the mandatory Title 9 requirements for girls to have equal softball fields as boys baseball, and the new requirements for Science labs, etc. that UIL and the state of TX are now enforcing on High Schools across the state. They don't seem very concerned about the money these undertakings will cost the local districts. (I wish they would offer monetary help with these expenses!)b

If a team wants to stall a game and slow it down they still could, but with a shot clock they cannot undermine the "spirit" of the rules of the game. Basketball is not a game for standing still. It was designed for players to run, shoot, pass, dribble, rebound, and so on. Limiting possessions for a superior team is one thing, but holding the ball for minutes on end with no basketball action taking place is another thing entirely. If a team cannot maneuver their players and the ball into a scoring position in 45 seconds then they need to give up basketball completely.

Bad football teams can't hold the ball until the clock runs out. They must run a play every 25 seconds and punt back to the superior team.

Yes. High School basketball DOES NEED a shot clock. Try to think of another rule that is enforced at the professional and collegiate level in basketball and yet doesn't even exist at the High School level.

NBA has a 24 second shot clock. College basketball has a 35 second shot clock (they began with 45 seconds).

45 seconds would be good for High School basketball to adopt.

This is the same principle behind the 10 second, and 5 second, and 3 second rules that are in place in basketball. Players are prompted to move around the court and play, by these rules.

As far as the expense involved, think about the 25 second clock UIL added to football. Also, the mandatory Title 9 requirements for girls to have equal softball fields as boys baseball, and the new requirements for Science labs, etc. that UIL and the state of TX are now enforcing on High Schools across the state. They don't seem very concerned about the money these undertakings will cost the local districts. (I wish they would offer monetary help with these expenses!)b

If a team wants to stall a game and slow it down they still could, but with a shot clock they cannot undermine the "spirit" of the rules of the game. Basketball is not a game for standing still. It was designed for players to run, shoot, pass, dribble, rebound, and so on. Limiting possessions for a superior team is one thing, but holding the ball for minutes on end with no basketball action taking place is another thing entirely. If a team cannot maneuver their players and the ball into a scoring position in 45 seconds then they need to give up basketball completely.

Bad football teams can't hold the ball until the clock runs out. They must run a play every 25 seconds and punt back to the superior team.

A shot clock is not needed! You cannot just stand there holding the ball for minutes on end....if you are being guarded. There is a rule to prevent the stall, you just have to come out of the zone to enforce it.

I think that a community (business etc) could generate enough donations to cover the cost of shot clock/s so it w :thumbsup: ouldn't have to come out of school budget or booster club monies. You could possibly get a big sponsor (I would say bank-lol-but not in today's economy) to fund the costs if there was a ad or logo someway attached for advertisement etc..

Very well said my friend. I totally agree with what you said!!! Well done.

:thumbsup:

Ok yet another post on the 25 second clock in football. In the last 5 years I have coached at 5 fields that had these on all were in the playoffs. The officials keep the clock on the field. They raise their hand at 10 seconds and go to stright out at 5. There is no cost involved, schools that have these buy them on their own. Equal fields for baseball and softball? Where in the world is that from, and yes I have been thru Title IX. Title IX is to ensure that equal sports have equal footing (boys and girls). When I went thru it the person that filed it found out it was going to cost their girls alot and dropped it. Comparing Science labs and sports? One is an effort by our country to catch up to the rest of Europe and Asia, the other we lead the world in.

Come out of your zone play man to man then you wont need a clock. I read the article on the game in question, it is as much Sabine's fault as NW for not coming out and forcing the issue. If it would have been the 4th then my guess is they would not have just let them run the clock out. You don't change the rules because your team lost, you get better inside the rules.

You even said it yourself.

If you dont play defense then none of these matter.

I'm not sure if I totally agree but it's not the fact that we lost ed. It's just the fact-ed the rules need to be change. If some schools have it, why not TX? Some people agree and some don't. JMO

The following states use a shot clock: North Dakota, Washington, California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, and Rhode Island.

Play defense and a shot clock is not needed.

You say NW was afraid to play against Sabine's zone, well wasn't Sabine afraid to play man against NW's offense? I know in the 4th quarter NW only scored 2 points. Well if Sabine was so good then why didn't they play man earlier? I know it was only a 3 point game at the time. The same complaints against NW can, and should, be aimed at Sabine as well.

The game is about winning, not style points. It is about strategy and tactics and doing whatever you think you need to do to give your team its' best chance to win. Whether you like the style played or not is completly beside the point. You are there to cheer for you team, nothing more, nothing less.

The worst thing in the world is to make the HS game more like the NBA. HS coaches are fighting it now as it is. Kids/parents want it to be more like college and the NBA. HS sports are not like the pros. That is what is wrong with society right now.

The following states use a shot clock: North Dakota, Washington, California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, and Rhode Island.

Play defense and a shot clock is not needed.

You say NW was afraid to play against Sabine's zone, well wasn't Sabine afraid to play man against NW's offense? I know in the 4th quarter NW only scored 2 points. Well if Sabine was so good then why didn't they play man earlier? I know it was only a 3 point game at the time. The same complaints against NW can, and should, be aimed at Sabine as well.

The game is about winning, not style points. It is about strategy and tactics and doing whatever you think you need to do to give your team its' best chance to win. Whether you like the style played or not is completly beside the point. You are there to cheer for you team, nothing more, nothing less.

The worst thing in the world is to make the HS game more like the NBA. HS coaches are fighting it now as it is. Kids/parents want it to be more like college and the NBA. HS sports are not like the pros. That is what is wrong with society right now.

Yea society is going to, you know where, because of Pro. sports!! Bottom line.....High School basketball needs a shot clodkl

Yea society is going to, you know where, because of Pro. sports!! Bottom line.....High School basketball needs a shot clodkl

The reason the NBA and college has the shot clock is because of TV. TV does not want a 13-11 game on television. But, their is absolutely no place in HS basketball for this. The supporters of a shot clock in HS show that they have little knowledge of the actual game of basketball. The supporters of such an idea, wants to take all the strategy out of the game. Want to make it a fast break game.

Bottom line.....If you want a shot clock then you need to stick with football.

One question! How long can a player hold the ball if she/he is guarded? 5 seconds? WOW! NW wanted Sabine to play man-to-man because that was their strength, but Sabine prides themselves on zone. So what!

Do I agree with implementation of a shot clock in high school? I don't really know but why not select one region per classification to do a study to see whether a shot clock will enhance the game or not.

The reason the NBA and college has the shot clock is because of TV. TV does not want a 13-11 game on television. But, their is absolutely no place in HS basketball for this. The supporters of a shot clock in HS show that they have little knowledge of the actual game of basketball. The supporters of such an idea, wants to take all the strategy out of the game. Want to make it a fast break game.

This comment is completly uneducated,lacks specific thought, and has as much insight as a 2 dollar prostitute in church! :bangin:

One question! How long can a player hold the ball if she/he is guarded? 5 seconds? WOW! NW wanted Sabine to play man-to-man because that was their strength, but Sabine prides themselves on zone. So what!

Do I agree with implementation of a shot clock in high school? I don't really know but why not select one region per classification to do a study to see whether a shot clock will enhance the game or not.

Bravo, Tappy take notes!

Oh television is the reason there is a shot clock in college and NBA? Oh O.K. (The most ignorant remark on this entire thread!) And the last time I checked I don't think there is a shot clock in football. (I stand corrected, your bottom line remark is the most ignorant remark on this thread)