carlisle vs overton

TyCobb

these two face off tomorrow and both played today. they both won they're games today. congrats to both. the only thing that upsets me about this game is the lack of time to talk a little trash. these games are usually pretty intense and the pregame trash talk is always very enjoyable. good luck to both teams tomorrow and may the best team win. p.s. i know the trash talk will really start tomorrow after the game. see you guys then.

these two face off tomorrow and both played today. they both won they're games today. congrats to both. the only thing that upsets me about this game is the lack of time to talk a little trash. these games are usually pretty intense and the pregame trash talk is always very enjoyable. good luck to both teams tomorrow and may the best team win. p.s. i know the trash talk will really start tomorrow after the game. see you guys then.

always a tough game, but I believe Carlisle takes Round 1. We will see this afternoon though!..Go INDIANS!!!!!!!

Carlisle won 2-1 in 8 innings. Carlisle scored off an error in the 1st, Overton had a leadoff homerun also in the 1st. Carlisle hit the ball well in the 8th to score 1.

i'm not making an excuse because we lost and they hit the ball to get that done. that being said, the umpires tonight had the worst game i have seen in years. the strike zone was pretty consistant and the out calls in the field where ok. but the check swings without umpires looking because they where talking to the guys on the side, the balk forgiven because the batter had an open stance, and i could go on, but i don't want to sound like someone who just bad mouths umpires all the time. most guys can make mistakes and do a good job anyways. tonight was just very unbelieveable.

i'm not making an excuse because we lost and they hit the ball to get that done. that being said, the umpires tonight had the worst game i have seen in years. the strike zone was pretty consistant and the out calls in the field where ok. but the check swings without umpires looking because they where talking to the guys on the side, the balk forgiven because the batter had an open stance, and i could go on, but i don't want to sound like someone who just bad mouths umpires all the time. most guys can make mistakes and do a good job anyways. tonight was just very unbelieveable.

sounds like excuses to me . Good game, you just got beat by a better team.

i love people like you. i tryed to give you credit "we lost and they hit the ball to get that done." yet you can't just accept the credit. you have to show your ignorance with that last post. excuses would have been to say it was the reason we lost. i didn't say that. i stated that there where bad calls. not that it cost us the game. i graduated from carlisle and you people even suprise me sometimes. IGNORANCE IS BLESS!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE WOULD THINK WHEN THE #1 TEAM IN THE STATE COMES TO TOWN, IT WOULDN'T TAKE THEM 8 INNINGS TO BEAT A WEAK UNRAKED TEAM. 2 to 1. your arrogance might be your undoing, if you don't watch out!!!!! I know it is something our team has to fight against and we have 2 losts now!!!

ONE WOULD THINK WHEN THE #1 TEAM IN THE STATE COMES TO TOWN, IT WOULDN'T TAKE THEM 8 INNINGS TO BEAT A WEAK UNRAKED TEAM. 2 to 1. your arrogance might be your undoing, if you don't watch out!!!!! I know it is something our team has to fight against and we have 2 losts now!!!

There is where your ignorance comes in. Just like any other rivalry you and I both know that when 2 rivals face each other you can throw the records and rankings out because anything can happen. If I remember right both games last year were dogfights. I apologize you did say not making excuses when you started your post. As far as the calls go they missed some on both sides. The old man behind the plate was horrible. I saw many strikes that Coleman threw that were called the other way. You graduated from Carlisle and you can't even support your old school. I think we are the only two trash talking , where is everyone else?...haha

I was a little disappointed in the level of play i saw last night. When i heard that Carlisle was #1 in the state i was expecting to see a lot more from them. It was a great game but i dont think carlisle is as good as they have been the previous 4, and Overton isn't as good as they were last year. But atleast it keeps the rivalry close. But once again, it was a great game. I wonder if they would have tried to play it under Overtons "lights" if it went any longer.

Overton is no weak unranked team, especially with Darden on the mound.

I've seen Cannon Coleman and Telvin Darden throw several times before (and not just 2-3). You'd be hard pressed to find two better pitchers in Class A than those two. Not only are they super-talented, but they've got heart and fight that is unmatched.

Anyone who knows anything about these two teams and these two pitchers knows this game was going to come down to 1 or 2 runs (the last five have all been decided by less than 2 runs with two of them going into extra innings).

You can't take anything away from either of these teams. Just because one if ranked by someone that has never seen them play doesn't mean nothing. They've still got to come and play.

And they've got to do it against a bittter, bitter rival.

Either of these teams has a chance to go a long way in the postseason and that's a credit to them, their program and their coaches.

Just observations from the game.....

Coleman and Darden both pitched very well

Coleman did indeed balk with a man on third - no doubt about it. High-school is a little late in the game for umpires to be "coaching" players. Make the call!!

In the eighth, coleman hit a double and then didn't take third with NOBODY holding him on. Why did the Overton coach wait for the third or fourth pitch to begin holding him?? There was one out and if coleman doesn't wait for the 3rd or 4th pitch to run he would have been on third and overton would have probably pulled their infielders in for a play at the plate?? When he did decide to take off the batter fouled on off and then overton began holding him...

When the big boy from carlisle got to second in the eigth, overton did hold him on??? So you don't hold coleman who has a little speed, but you do hold big boy who is not a threat to steal????

Couple of batters for carlisle really struggled against the curveball darden was throwing. He started quite a few hitters out with the curve and would continue to throw it until he got two strikes. On one occasion, I told my wife if he throws a fastball to this kid they deserve to lose - guess what he threw a fastball??? On this occasion, the carlisle kid had NO CHANCE of hitting the curve.....

Overton kid hit a deep drive that was caught by the carlisle CF - great play, he robbed him of a 3 run shot...

Really good job by the relief pitcher from Carlisle. It was the 7th and the bases were loaded - very tough spot to come into knowing if you walk the batter you lose - good job.

If Carlisle is the #1 team in the state of Texas for all of 1A baseball, then OHS has to be #1B. That being said, I wouldnt have either one of them in the top 5 of ET at this point. Neither seem to be as good as they were at this point last year. And I'll ad this...Overton will beat CHS the next game. I have to say these things because my school spirit commands it...and because I have intense hostility and aversion towards Carlisle (Ive been programed since birth to say that). All rivalry talk aside, it was a pretty good game. Pretty good defensive plays on both sides. BTW the kid in CF for CHS (I think it was Stewart) probably did save the game with the catch stated in the previous post.

:coolball:

Great Game to watch, probably one of the best games I have been associated with. Reminiscent of last years' 1 run games with these two teams. I'm proud of my kids yesterday, you keep hitting the ball like you are and you will do well. Alot of baseball yet to play.

If Carlisle is the #1 team in the state of Texas for all of 1A baseball, then OHS has to be #1B. That being said, I wouldnt have either one of them in the top 5 of ET at this point. Neither seem to be as good as they were at this point last year. And I'll ad this...Overton will beat CHS the next game. I have to say these things because my school spirit commands it...and because I have intense hostility and aversion towards Carlisle (Ive been programed since birth to say that). All rivalry talk aside, it was a pretty good game. Pretty good defensive plays on both sides. BTW the kid in CF for CHS (I think it was Stewart) probably did save the game with the catch stated in the previous post.

We can't pick for the pollsters, we just play our games and take our W's . Overton WILL NOT beat CHS next game. I say this because my school spirit is great too.

Just observations from the game.....

Coleman and Darden both pitched very well

Coleman did indeed balk with a man on third - no doubt about it. High-school is a little late in the game for umpires to be "coaching" players. Make the call!!

In the eighth, coleman hit a double and then didn't take third with NOBODY holding him on. Why did the Overton coach wait for the third or fourth pitch to begin holding him?? There was one out and if coleman doesn't wait for the 3rd or 4th pitch to run he would have been on third and overton would have probably pulled their infielders in for a play at the plate?? When he did decide to take off the batter fouled on off and then overton began holding him...

When the big boy from carlisle got to second in the eigth, overton did hold him on??? So you don't hold coleman who has a little speed, but you do hold big boy who is not a threat to steal????

Couple of batters for carlisle really struggled against the curveball darden was throwing. He started quite a few hitters out with the curve and would continue to throw it until he got two strikes. On one occasion, I told my wife if he throws a fastball to this kid they deserve to lose - guess what he threw a fastball??? On this occasion, the carlisle kid had NO CHANCE of hitting the curve.....

Overton kid hit a deep drive that was caught by the carlisle CF - great play, he robbed him of a 3 run shot...

Really good job by the relief pitcher from Carlisle. It was the 7th and the bases were loaded - very tough spot to come into knowing if you walk the batter you lose - good job.

it's funny how people always blame the coach for little mistakes in tight game and blowouts, but the kids get the credit when you win. the 2nd baseman and ss where just moved there before the game, because of errors that had been occuring in previous games. one practice that way and then the game. ss was the usual 2nd, but because he is a jr., he was moved to ss. the 2nd baseman is a freshman that always played ss growing up. so if you watched carefully, you would have seen them do things backwards more than once.

:coolball:

Great Game to watch, probably one of the best games I have been associated with. Reminiscent of last years' 1 run games with these two teams. I'm proud of my kids yesterday, you keep hitting the ball like you are and you will do well. Alot of baseball yet to play.

i agree, GREAT GAME!!! i don't want to be misunderstood. the only thing that has upset me is arrogance. i respect carlisle more after that game than i did before it. i just wish there was more respect for each team. you don't have to like each other too respect each other. if i'm playing you, i want to beat you. but i can still enjoy the high comp. level.

it's funny how people always blame the coach for little mistakes in tight game and blowouts, but the kids get the credit when you win. the 2nd baseman and ss where just moved there before the game, because of errors that had been occuring in previous games. one practice that way and then the game. ss was the usual 2nd, but because he is a jr., he was moved to ss. the 2nd baseman is a freshman that always played ss growing up. so if you watched carefully, you would have seen them do things backwards more than once.

Not sure how being new to a position affects something as elementary as holding a runner on?? Most of the time the problems arise in where to be and what base to cover (assignments)

What do you mean by "backwards"??

If you were at the game you would have noticed that 3 or 4 of the Carlisle kids couldn't even think about hitting the curve - why call for a fastball????

Baseball 101.....

I dont think overton had the 2b/ss wrong. the guy that played ss the other night has the stronger arm of the 2. I have nothing to do with the team so wherever the coach puts the players is the right decision. But if anything i would try and find a third baseman that can make the throw across the diamond. Last year the 3B could make the throw but fielding the ball was a slight problem, This year the new 3B can field it, but the throw gives him problems sometimes. I dont know which issue is easier to live with.

I dont think overton had the 2b/ss wrong. the guy that played ss the other night has the stronger arm of the 2. I have nothing to do with the team so wherever the coach puts the players is the right decision. But if anything i would try and find a third baseman that can make the throw across the diamond. Last year the 3B could make the throw but fielding the ball was a slight problem, This year the new 3B can field it, but the throw gives him problems sometimes. I dont know which issue is easier to live with.

no one ever said overton had the 2b/ss wrong. i said they had always played the other position until that day. so some of the reactions they had where thought about and not just habits. as for the 3rd baseman, he is better than who we had there before(it was the now 2bman). their both freshman and have their bad plays occasionally. wright(the 3b) has always played there and mccasland(the 2b) always played ss.

Not sure how being new to a position affects something as elementary as holding a runner on?? Most of the time the problems arise in where to be and what base to cover (assignments)

What do you mean by "backwards"??

If you were at the game you would have noticed that 3 or 4 of the Carlisle kids couldn't even think about hitting the curve - why call for a fastball????

Baseball 101.....

if you've ever played 2nd or ss, you would understand there is nothing elementary about those two positions. at anytime in the game there is always something different to do. and you don't know what the coach had them doing either. they could have been trying to get coleman to run. who knows?

as for "backwards" they where throwing the ball around to the wrong places after k's and thier footwork was shotty aswell. but i watch them alot and know them well. so maybe that wasn't apparent to everyone.